1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The New Guy

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ee-lee, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    ee-lee

ee-lee [OP] Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Hi,

I have been a member of the forum for awhile now but generally just log on to find answers. I'm retired Navy since 1997 when I was retired on disability due to a shipboard accident. I have owned Toyotas since 1971. My first one was a rather less than glamorous 1971 Corona Mark II. My first Toyota truck was a 1978 that I bought used and ran until "the wheels fell off" in 1990. That was the year I bought the best Toyota truck I have ever owned, a 1990 standard bed 2 WD base model. It ran 530,000 miles on 2 clutches, one alternator and regular oil changes with just normal maintenance. The 1996 I had didn't even come close. I gave up on it last year after it nickle and dimed me for several years. It had 258,000 miles on it. I'm not one to trade in my vehicles, when I'm done with them there isn't much left to trade. Which brings me to the 2009 base model I bought in August. I can honestly say they don't make them like they used to (plastic bed?)!

I'm not sure what they were thinking with the floor shift. Why bother with the bench seat? Only a person with no legs could possibly sit in the center seat. And gone are the days when you could get what you wanted on the base model. Variable speed wipers, keyless entry forget it. You need to buy the extra cab, or the SR-5 or what ever. Toyota has gotten to be just another "American" style car company.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not horribly dissatisfied with Toyota. I'm just saying that they have gone the way of every other car company, they are nothing special anymore. I like to call it the Microsoft factor. Microsoft introduced us to the let's put it out there with all the bugs and start making our money back business model in the 1980's and 90's. We all just got used to it and it has become the norm with every other product in the market place. No one anymore is too surprised or outraged when they pay $20K or $30K for a truck that has to go back to the dealer for transmission, engine or electrical issues on a regular basis. We all just say, they don't make them like they used too, just hope it outlasts the warranty. I have no illusions that this truck will be anywhere near as reliable as the 1990 that I had. Already it has been in for numerous quirky little problems.

So I guess that is why the forums exist. If one had to go back to the dealer for everything that goes wrong we'd all be walking or riding bicycles because we couldn't afford to drive. As I said, I'm not horribly dissatisfied just a bit disappointed. I have already added heated power mirrors (I'm getting lazy in my old age and to be honest the stock mirrors are a real pain to adjust, the passenger side is darn near impossible without 2 people), keyless entry, intermittent wipers, got rid of that abominable stock radio (what a dog!!) if they paid more than 2 bucks a unit for those they got robbed, and an auto dimming rearview mirror, .

At any rate enough venting. I am now an electrical engineer (went back to school when I got out of the Navy) and I have been messing around with cars and motorcycles for way more years than I'd care to admit so if I can help I will.

2. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    welcome :)

3. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    I understand where your coming from...my last Toyota was a 1988 4Runner and was the best truck anyone could ever ask for. I only put 350,000 miles on her, but had very little problems. Actually, it's amazing it lasted that long considering what little maintenance I did.
    Welcome aboard!:cheers:

4. Jan 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Thank you for your service.:cheers:
    Welcome to TW.

5. Jan 10, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    Welcome :cheers:

6. Jan 10, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    EBBS03

EBBS03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Philadelphia, PA / Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
    Stock
    Welcome

7. Jan 10, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    Edrin55

Edrin55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Chula Vista, CA (Eastlake)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Magnetic Gray TRD Sport Access Cab
    Avid Off Road Light Bar Line-X'd, Black Sand Pearl Hood Scoope, Truck Covers USA metal roll up bed cover, Thule Custom lockable light bar, TRD Sport Exhaust, Line-X'd TRD skid plate, Slee Off Road Sliders, Upgraded 3.5" Rearview Mirror/Monitor, Anytime Foglight Mod. (TY Jeff), Smoked Foglights, SilverStar Headlight & Foglight Bulbs, Tinted windows all around, Vent visors, Bed mat with security mod, Wet Okoles front & back, Race/Sport Pedals, Tailgate Clamps, PopNLcok 5300 Tailgate Lock, All weather mats, Helo 17x8 Hubcentric Rims & BFG All Terrain 265/70/17, Blisteins 5100's all around with mini leaf add to the rears, AFE Pro Dry drop in filter, Go Rhino Hitch Step, TRD License Plate Frames and Tire Valve Covers. GrillCraft MX Mesh upper and lower grills with "old school TOYOTA" FJ emblem, Cobra CB Radio, Firestick CB Antenna with custom mount.
  8. Jan 10, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Hello, welcome to TW!

Products Discussed in

To Top