1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Official Gym & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'Health' started by TyT, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jun 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    zacharypaul89 likes this.
  2. Jun 14, 2015 at 6:08 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    he's shooting for a 1000lb raw skwat

the speed of that one looks like he's not far

3. Jun 14, 2015 at 7:18 PM
    DBTaco

DBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    Alright guys, I've been working out a little bit here at the house. My wife joined the gym about 4 months ago I guess and I've been going with her atleast once a week which I know isn't enough for Gainz for me, but I'm thinking about trying to join the gym myself. I usually get off work at 3:30 or 4:00pm and I'm thinking I could go to the gym after work its only about 2 minutes from work and then working out for 45 minutes or so and picking our little girl up from daycare by 5:15ish. I've been picking her up anyway for my wife to be able to go to the gym and I've been cooking supper. So I'm thinking if I get off at 330-400pm that should be doable, don't ya'll think? Also, I'm planning on going Monday through Friday for workout days and then the weekends off since we won't have a baby sitter. I do need some help on what body parts/workouts to do each day.

4. Jun 14, 2015 at 11:38 PM
    Tyson

Tyson $Mr.T$

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyson
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    15' TRD off road, dbl, 6spd, 4.0L
    All-Pro UCA Stage 4 Icon lift redline hood struts interior dome and map LED lights 2 spot led pods (ditch lights) flush mount rear back up flood pods hood and bed LED lights GPS anytime mod RTMR electrical system (relays fuses etc.) weather tech floor mats anytime fog lights bixenon headlights and fogs ABS off switch anytime rear e-locker 30" OSRAM light bar (in grill) ARB CKMTA12 compressor ARB front locker Rock sliders all-pro Apex coming later: Doug Thorley long tube headers Y pipe Exhaust

I REALLY good program to do is one sold by Beach body, the program is called "body beast". Body beast is a number one seller and from having completed the 12 week program, I had very noticeable gains. workouts are between 38mins to maybe just over an hour. I highly recommend it for beginners, to high intermediate lifters!

Since then I've gone on to follow Jim Stoppani (Look him up! super smart doc. written for all major magazines etc.). and have learned a crazy amount about lifting, eating, misc. extra!!!! and because I've done so well I've gone on to compete in a couple different natural men's physique competitions and have placed very well!

I'm currently on a 10 week strength training program by Jim. and have noticed even more gains in strength and size.
    I'm currently maintaining around a 6.5% body fat, I weigh 165lbs and am 5'7". as of 3 1/2 weeks ago my 1RM's have been Bench=275, Squat=385, Deadlift=425, shoulder press=185

5. Jun 15, 2015 at 5:14 AM
    zacharypaul89

zacharypaul89 Eat right, be fit, die anyway

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Trd Offroad
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-4-day-split-workout.html

6. Jun 15, 2015 at 11:33 AM
    ThunderCookies

ThunderCookies This is the Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    5100s at 2.5 setting up front 5100s with 2" AAL around back TC Uniball UCAs 285/70/17 Fierce Attitude M/T SCS Ray 10s 17” 14" Magnaflow w/3.5" Stainless Tip SOS aluminum armor front bumper SOS high clearance rear bumper Stealth grill light bar and pods 4" Westin Nerf Bars Weathertech in-channel visors Window tint Bed Mat Proven Ground Locking Roll-Up Tonneau Cover All-weather rubber floor mats Custom Wolfpack TRD Decal TOYOTA Vintage Tailgate Decal 4 Wheel Drive vintage decal Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod Bed Mat Anti-Theft Mod Sliding back glass Anti-Theft Mod Future Mods: Bedside bottle opener Bedside storage lock/key mod Bed pod lights
    I like the looks of this Body Beast - I seem to have a similar build/strength as you. I am 5'10" 160lbs and around 10% body fat but I my 1RM's are the same as yours. I'm going to start body beast today and see how it goes.

For anyone else interested, here is a link to the workout.

http://dumbbellsanddiapers.com/bodybeast - I googled the ish out of it to find it bc I refuse to pay for someone to tell me how/what to lift. This chick did the workout and wrote reviews on each day. She has the workout guide linked per day or you can read through it. She ain't bad to look at either, so it's a win win...

7. Jun 15, 2015 at 5:44 PM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    seems like a plan, its at planet fitness and they have that rack that automatically spots you.

8. Jun 15, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Aw dood sweet!

Or not. smith machines suck... and I regretfully inform you that it renders all of your numbers inaccurate.

9. Jun 15, 2015 at 7:01 PM
    ThunderCookies

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    5100s at 2.5 setting up front 5100s with 2" AAL around back TC Uniball UCAs 285/70/17 Fierce Attitude M/T SCS Ray 10s 17” 14" Magnaflow w/3.5" Stainless Tip SOS aluminum armor front bumper SOS high clearance rear bumper Stealth grill light bar and pods 4" Westin Nerf Bars Weathertech in-channel visors Window tint Bed Mat Proven Ground Locking Roll-Up Tonneau Cover All-weather rubber floor mats Custom Wolfpack TRD Decal TOYOTA Vintage Tailgate Decal 4 Wheel Drive vintage decal Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod Bed Mat Anti-Theft Mod Sliding back glass Anti-Theft Mod Future Mods: Bedside bottle opener Bedside storage lock/key mod Bed pod lights
  10. Jun 15, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    Tyson

Tyson $Mr.T$

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyson
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    15' TRD off road, dbl, 6spd, 4.0L
    All-Pro UCA Stage 4 Icon lift redline hood struts interior dome and map LED lights 2 spot led pods (ditch lights) flush mount rear back up flood pods hood and bed LED lights GPS anytime mod RTMR electrical system (relays fuses etc.) weather tech floor mats anytime fog lights bixenon headlights and fogs ABS off switch anytime rear e-locker 30" OSRAM light bar (in grill) ARB CKMTA12 compressor ARB front locker Rock sliders all-pro Apex coming later: Doug Thorley long tube headers Y pipe Exhaust
    it is good to follow the timing of these workouts as the rest periods and what not have a lot to do with the workout and your results, as well it gives you a good handbook to guide you on your diet.
    70% diet 30% gym 100% Beast

11. Jun 16, 2015 at 5:48 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Smith machines are bad news: they don't tell you the true weight you're actually lifting (I can bench press like 365 on a smith machine, compared to 315 on a traditional bench), they don't promote the use of good form, and they restrict your body's natural movement.

That being said, I'm sure Planet Fitness has some kind of anti-squat rack rule... :jerkoff:

ninjaexplosion likes this.
  12. Jun 16, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    ThunderCookies

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    I was strict on timing with 60 seconds rest between sets (no rest during supersets) and 90 seconds rest between exercises. It took me 25:32 to complete day 1 chest. It took something like 38 minutes for the person who I got this from to complete.

Yesterday - Body Beast Chest/Tri
    Incline DB Fly superset with Incline DB Press 15reps
    60 second rest
    Incline DB Fly superset with Incline DB Press 12reps
    60 second rest
    Incline DB Fly superset with Incline DB Press 8reps -drop set DB Press 8reps again (no rest)
    90 second rest
    Close Grip DB Press Triset with DB Chest Fly and Decline Push Ups 15 reps/max Pushups
    60 second rest
    Close Grip DB Press Triset with DB Chest Fly and Decline Push Ups 12 reps/Max Pushups
    60 second rest
    Close Grip DB Press Triset with DB Chest Fly and Decline Push Ups 8 reps/Max Pushups
    90 second rest
    Lying Tricep Ext 15reps
    60 second rest
    Lying Tricep Ext 12reps
    60 second rest
    Lying Tricep Ext 8reps -drop set 8 reps again (no rest)
    90 second rest
    DB Kickback(each arm) superset with Closegrip Pushups (Diamonds) 15reps
    60 second rest
    DB Kickback(each arm) superset with Closegrip Pushups (Diamonds) 12reps
    60 second rest
    DB Kickback(each arm) superset with Closegrip Pushups (Diamonds) 8reps -no rest, another 8 pushups
    90 second rest
    Bench Dips 60 seconds max reps
    90 second rest
    In and outs 60 seconds max reps
    Done

For only 25 minutes, it kicked my ass. I went heavy as possible on everything. My gym maxes at 75lb DB so for some of the stuff I did all of sets with the 75lbs. I think it is made to increase weight as you decrease the reps but I had to make due with my gym.

Today is supposed to be Legs but I am going to also do the Shoulder one too so I get a longer workout. Tomorrow will be Back/Bis. It is a 6 day program with a rest day and a 'cardio' day. I can't justify spending a whole day on just cardio. I stay active enough (yard work, dog walks/runs) everyday to not need a whole day dedicated to it. He also only spends 1 day a week on Shoulders and 1 day on Legs while spending 2 each on Chest/Tri and Back/Bi. I am going to make my hybrid Shoulder/Leg day and do that twice along with the other. So it will be something like

Monday - Chest/Tri
    Tuesday - Shoulder/Leg
    Wednesday - Back/Bi
    Thursday - Chest/Tri
    Friday - Shoulder/Leg
    Saturday - Back/Bi
    Sunday - The lord said rest...

And then maybe rotate - week 2 start with shoulder/leg on Monday and end with Chest/Tri on Saturday or something like that...the only issue with 6 day workouts is it is beach season and I go to my beach house pretty much every Friday afternoon and come home Sunday evenings and don't have a gym down there. 12 oz curls FTW...

If anyone wants this 'Body Beast' workout, I can send you the file I am creating to track my workout when I have it completed...(I use excel, it's easy to enter your weights and keep track of the 12 weeks and you can upload it to dropbox and access it on your phone when you are at the gym)

Tyson[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jun 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM
    adrstout

adrstout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    Hey guys, been lurking this thread for a while and figured I should join in-you guys have fun in here. I've been back into lifting for the last 6 months or so (used to lift all the time). I then was a lazy shit for a few years until my soon-to-be-ex-wife got me into running which I enjoyed but once I was active again, I really missed lifting. Still run a bit to keep my cardio decent.

Currently doing a powerbuilding type of routine I made up which is working for me. Right now I'm trying to maintain weight-about 205 @ 5'11''- and strengthen my upper back mostly since my chest is overdeveloped in comparison causing some pain and mobility issues that has hindered my progress. Plus, I've started to get that weird rounded upper back/hunched shoulders look if I don't really pay attention to pulling them back.

Once I get that mess sorted out, I was thinking about doing a month or two of the classic 5-3-1 routine to get my major lift #s up and then going back to a more mixed bag type workout. Thoughts? Who has done it? I'm thinking I'm at a point where I need to make a big strength push to then fill out the way I want.

Current #s:
    Bench Press: 315
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 385

*I really think my squat and bench are about 10-25 lbs higher but that's untested. I suck at DL and that 385 pull wasn't pretty. Working on it...but I hate DLs :(

The goal is to get to 350 bench and 425 on squat/DL. Once I hit that I'll make a new goal.

Also, I've spent the last two weeks trying to "cut" and get leaner with abs. Decided fuck that today at lunch. Tired of being hungry and want to get stronger more than I want abs anyways. Now back to slightly over maintenance calories until I start the 5-3-1 and start eating big*.
    *Without getting fat as fuck lol

TL;DR: Want to get stronger and bigger. Thinking 5-3-1 in future. Thoughts?

Tyson and zacharypaul89 like this.
  14. Jun 16, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    ThunderCookies

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    That is the exact reason I haven't ever tried to 'eat clean' or change my diet. I love foooooooooood! But that said - I am currently lucking out with my high metabolism and do well at calories in vs. calories burned so I maintain a good physique with noticeable abs on most days.

15. Jun 16, 2015 at 12:31 PM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    That low-rep stuff is great for strength...For size, 6-12 reps (for me, anyway)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  16. Jun 16, 2015 at 12:39 PM
    JWaldz

JWaldz It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    Someone say rock climbing? About 3 months or so worth of calluses and blisters. May have pushed it a little too long last night lol

20150615_210121_zpsim92waao_aae4a798abe6e8b7872dc0e93085586eb631c391.jpg

uurx likes this.
  17. Jun 16, 2015 at 12:40 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    Have any of you guys strained/sprained your distral tendon towards your elbow? I hurt it pretty back last week and although it feels better, I'm afraid to go heavy again :/

18. Jun 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM
    adrstout

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    Haha yeah....it was a good thought. I "sort of" have abs in the right light and if I flex em lol

Yeah, I stick mostly in the 6-12 range now but thinking if I could boost my overall strength to another level, I could build the size on top...

How did you hurt it? I've had that tendon flare up from overuse and, unfortunately, the only thing I found that helped was ice and not using it much for a while :(

19. Jun 16, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Mine used to really hurt after an arm day when I first got into lifting... It's all good in the hood now, but I can remember the days of barely being able to move my arms.

20. Jun 16, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    adrstout

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    ^^^Totally fucked up that quoting...oh wellz

Products Discussed in

To Top