1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

    You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

    As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site


Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Battle Pope, Nov 8, 2011.

  1. Nov 8, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    Battle Pope

    Battle Pope [OP] Christ-a-licious

    Aug 9, 2010
    First Name:
    Class 6
    Automatic 5 Lug
    squash air freshner
    I used the search feature for about 30seconds, didn't find anything. If there is already a thread like this please delete.

    Open Forum for all services and civilians who have military questions/discussions.

    A Veteran's Benefit You Should Know about DD FORM 214 - EXTRA SOCIAL
    SECURITY BENEFIT for those with active duty between January 1957 to December
    31, 2001

    DD FORM 214 - SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFIT please share this with anyone who had
    active duty service between January 1957 to December 31, 2001, and planning
    for retirement. Briefly, it boils down to this: You qualify for a higher
    social security payment because of your Military service, for active duty
    any time from 1957 through 2001 (the program was done away with 1 January
    2002). Up to $1200 per year of earnings credit credited at time of
    application - which can make a substantial difference in social security
    monthly payments upon your retirement. You must bring your DD-214 to the
    Social Security Office and you must ask for this benefit to receive it! This
    is something to put in your files for when you apply for Social Security
    down the road. It is NOT just for retirees, BUT anyone who has served on
    active duty between January 1957 to December 31, 2001. FYI - this benefit is
    not automatic, you must ask for it!

    Special Extra Earnings for Military Service

    Since 1957, if you had military service earnings for active duty (including
    active duty for training), you paid Social Security taxes on those earnings.
    Since 1988, inactive duty service in the Armed Forces reserves (such as
    weekend drills) has also been covered by Social Security.

    Under certain circumstances, special extra earnings for your military
    service from 1957 through 2001 can be credited to your record for Social
    Security purposes. These extra earnings credits may help you qualify for
    Social Security or increase the amount of your Social Security benefit.

    Special extra earnings credits are granted for periods of active duty or
    active duty for training. Special extra earnings credits are not granted for
    inactive duty training.

    If you're active military service occurred
    . From 1957 through 1967, we will add the extra credits to your record
    when you apply for Social Security benefits.
    . From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive
    these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
    . After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military

    How You Get Credit for Special Extra Earnings

    The information that follows applies only to active duty military service
    earnings from 1957 through 2001. Here's how the special extra earnings are
    credited on your record:

    Service in 1957 Through 1977

    You are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter
    in which you received active duty basic pay.

    Service in 1978 through 2001

    For every $300 in active duty basic pay, you are credited with an additional
    $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year. If you enlisted after
    September 7, 1980, and didn't complete at least 24 months of active duty or
    your full tour, you may not be able to receive the additional earnings.
    Check with Social Security for details.

    Note: Change in special military service credits.
    In January 2002, Public Law 107-117, the Defense Appropriations Act, stopped
    the special extra earnings that have been credited to military service

    Military service in calendar year 2002 and future years no longer qualifies
    for these special extra earnings credits.

    Here is a website that provides a list of free Meals and

    discounts on Veteran's Day to those that are currently serving or have
    served our military.


Products Discussed in

To Top