1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The oil is leaking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Monkeysuncle, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Jan 13, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle [OP] My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    :mad: So my 99 Tacoma had a big oil leak. :eek:I pulled my front cover off and it's the cam seal on the drivers side. I can wrench on my truck pretty good but I don't have the guts to pull the cam gear and timing belt off and replace the seal. So I called a friend of mine who is a mechanic and he's gonna do it for nothing. I said to him just do it through your shop and I'll pay the shop rate. He said no way man, I'll do it at home and save you some cash, so my question is, how much do I pay him, he's ususlly good for a case of beer, P.S. we have been friends for a long time, but I dont want to insult him with 50 bucks. The shop rate would be 2 hours plus parts, minimum and that would be $250.00 . I hate for my friends to work for beer. (although I have done it many times) . I buy the parts and drop him a Ben note?? Is that fair? It's good to have friends.

2. Jan 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    swsteven

swsteven Well-Known Member

Member:
    houston tx
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma trd
    3 inch lift bilsteins and aal 16 inch pro comp wheels, m/t tires
    i would give him 100

3. Jan 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I helped build a room addition for a pound of grapes and a half gallon of cranberry juice. Friends are Friends. They help each other out.

4. Jan 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    how about a case of beer and a reach around:eek:

jk 100 bucks plus a case of beer sounds good

5. Jan 13, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Minus the reach around...............hell times are tough, the reach around might.....no never mind.He is proud and a good friend, I think I'll drop the cash off with his wife, that sounds bad....she'll take the cash and he'll never know. Yes it is good to have friends like this. I'm a butcher, he'll have great steaks for the next month.

6. Jan 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    If you guys are really good friends, you are very lucky to have a friend like that. Drop him a $100 bill and take him to the strip club to buy him a lap dance and a beer. You'll both enjoy that and you're getting away with some really cheap mechanic work. Plus it's a win win situation for you. (i.e. you get to see some other boobies!!!)

7. Jan 15, 2009 at 5:48 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Did this require a nailgun?
    Better grapes than prunes I always say.

X3 ..........on the reach around

I like to set-up a dinner function when I have a friend or two help me out. After the job is done, we have a BBQ or something and drink some beer. Good times, good times.

The one thing I have noticed is that no matter how much money I offer, they never take it. That's why I prefer the social function. It is more rewarding and fun.

8. Jan 15, 2009 at 5:52 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    I still like my strip club idea better...

9. Jan 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:

Yea, I'll run that by his wife first. And If I never post on here again, call the police and tell them to look for me, I'll probably be dead with a boot sticking out of my arss

10. Jan 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Getting done tomorrow, got the parts and the beer. Cash is in my pocket just waiting for the right time to slip to his wife. Also got some nice ribeyes in the ice box for dinner.

11. Jan 18, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Turned out to be the cam seals, one was really bad, one was, how to put it, moist, I'm sure there is a Mike Douglas joke in there somewhere. Drove almost 180 miles in the past day and a half......No leaks, bad thing about those cam seals, I replaced them when I did my waterpump 35K miles ago,(95K on motor now) I bought Federal Mogul which had the same part number as the NGK, the seals, the ones that were only 35k old were hard and obviously leaking.2nd set of cam seals in only 35k miles?? WTF? This time I asked for the best part available from Car Quest, no I didn't go to the dealer, they were Fed Mog, NGK part number on the box said made in Taiwan, I asked for a better part, that's all I got buddy, take em' or leave em'. CRAP . Tomorrow some simple green and a brush to clean the underside and keep a good eye on those oil spots in the garage. I know, quit your bitchin', but I hate an oil leak.( I used to drive a 1971 VW!!)

Products Discussed in

To Top