1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Tacoma Towing Bible

Discussion in 'Towing' started by maverick491, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Apr 3, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    DanT

DanT Old Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Richland, WA
    Vehicle:
    4WD 2.7L SR5
    Here's the post from the installer:

"Just ordered the Prodigy RF for you. It will be here tuesday and we will install and test it tuesday afternoon. This new controller just plugs into the 12v accessory plug(cig lighter) and thats it on the truck. When you get your trailer we'll mount the brake control box on the trailer. Just 2 screws and the trailer plugs into it and thats it. Prodigy RF made by tekonsha is the manufacturer if you want to look it up. Its a remote controlled unit with accelerometers built in. $500 unit but we are not going to charge you at all. Sorry about the issues. We will for sure get them all worked out for you. "

2. May 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    madmax

madmax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota tacoma
    Hey maybe I mised the info but I have a 2011 taco and was looking to put a t- type plug in for pulling my little boat and I cant find the connector under the bed. Anyone enlighten me on this. Thanx

3. May 16, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    I don't think I've ever seen the famous T-style connectors for the Tacoma. Some manufacturer may make one, although I'm not sure where on the truck they would connect. But don't fret, Hopkins make an "almost" T-style.
    [​IMG]
    You just locate each tail light harness and plug it in-line.
    The product packaging lists 05-09 Tacoma's and the seach from the website for a 2010 pulls the same item number 43355. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a 2011, but a quick call to the customer service line [(800) 835-0129, 8-5 p.m. CST.] will answer that.

4. May 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Anyone ever tow a Jeep on an aluminum car hauler? Considering making my wife's jeep a trailer queen and debating whether or not we will need a bigger truck to tow it.

5. May 23, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    Mhenry2712

Mhenry2712 Member

Member:
    Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner v6 2x4
    Where to Mount an Electric Brake Controller? Where are you guys putting them? I drive a 2011 Quad cab... Pictures would be awesome

6. May 24, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    Hey guys .. basic question, but this is my first truck that I will ever be towing anything with. I have the '11 D/C TRD (with towing package). I plan on using my fathers old boat (now that my truck can tow it). Including fuel, trailer, ect it should be about 3200lbs, which is well within limits for our trucks. I figure it will be about 280 lbs tongue weight.

I have had the dealer order parts for the TSB upgrade, but I may tow one or two times before getting the upgrade done, just so I can use the boat this weekend.

My question is .. what settings should we use to tow? Do we use the regular D, or go to 4, 3, 2, or L? I know we have a few buttons for traction control and Overdrive, but I dont think either of those are applicable.
    I dont plan to use 4WD unless I start to slip pulling the boat out of the dock, which sometimes happens at low tide and the ramp is all slimy. I also got a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter for the trailer light, and am running the wire for the power winch this weekend. I believe that is very easy.

I have driven trailers before, just not in my own truck. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

7. May 24, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I tow my boat in 4 all the time. When I pull it up the ramp I do drop it all the way down to 1. I dunno if this helps but it is a habbit. I never have to use 4x4 to get it up the ramp unless I hesitate or stop. Not sure if you know this or not but unplug your lights before you back your boat/trailer in the water. f they are on and get hot they burst when they get wet. Happy boating!

8. May 24, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    puckstopper55

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    Thanks for the info. I figured 4 would give me a little more torque, but didnt know how our trucks were designed.

I have never heard of the disconnecting the trailer lights before. All of my trailer lights are sealed, and made to be submerged. I have never had one crack, or burst. Usually the rubber seal fails before anything else.

9. May 24, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Any type of heavy towing you want to keep it out of 5. It will keep your trans, cooler. Doing this keeps the truck from going from 5 to 4 all the time and gives your more pulling power on the hills.

I think my seals leak as the whole lense fills up with water and then draines after you pull it out of the water. As long as I disconnect the lights before I submerge the trailer they all seem to last longer.

You should post some pictures of your boat up!
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/boating-fishing/10854-show-us-your-boat.html

10. May 24, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    puckstopper55

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    LOL. Maybe after I clean it up. Its been sitting for almost 2 years (since my father took his truck to Florida, and I wasent towing it with me '95 4cyl Taco). Its nothing special, just a center console '74 Mako. Perfect for fishing.

11. May 26, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    05 DC 4x4 here's mine. Prodigy brake controller. Mounts perfect so I can reach the manual actuator if I need to on long downhill grades.

IMG_9398-post_5db2314e9e3c2165f4bf84e92da621dd0875621a.jpg
    IMG_9401-post_ec47daf5a9e7c9432a571d6269c0242da6787198.jpg

12. May 27, 2011 at 4:37 AM
    TacoMO

TacoMO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    fly over zone
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Shell
    I mounted mine under the shelf where you have your garage opener.
    I was concerned I would be hitting it with my knee all the time (I'm 6'5").
    I think I've only bumped it a couple of times. You want to be able to get to it easy enough so you can hit the brakes manually.
    I also have a lower profile brake unit than the one pictured.

13. May 27, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    hey OP i hope you don't mind me doing this. but i have seen wear some people are having hard time finding "LOCKING" hitch pins. like wrong size and stuff. i took some photos (sorry they are off the tundra, my brother has my truck right now. but i think everyone can get an idea) i think it could help allot of people.

ok first i measured the end. FYI 2gen Tacoma's have a bracket wear the pin goes so it makes it 3"
    [​IMG]

on this photo ou can see that wear the pin goes is smaller than the end. the pin on the tundra is 2 3/4x 1/2 the tacoma it the same as the end. making it 3 inches.[​IMG]

the pin i got at wall mart. [​IMG]

this is the part that has to be 3 inches! on the tundra it is 2 3/4 [​IMG]

14. May 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    club

club Member

Member:
    First Name:
    calob
    new mexico
    Vehicle:
    09 4door 3" lift 265 duratracs
    3"lift rear airbags rims and tires break controler,hatchie bottom seat covers
    i installed air ride on my 09 taco world of difference even with just the fourwheeler in the back worth 245 bucks.:D

15. May 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    astral

astral On my second taco now....

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
    Sorry if I missed it in here somewhere, but I don't see it. Does my V6 towing package have a battery charger for coach batteries wired in to the 7 pin plug, or is that something I have to install myself?

16. May 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    TacoMO

TacoMO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    fly over zone
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Shell
    Did you do the install? If so, how difficult was it?

Thx

17. May 31, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md

Yes. There is charging from the 7pin when the truck is running.

18. May 31, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    webslinger99

webslinger99 Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Dbl-cab
    Revtek Lift
    Did a test tow today with what is now our new travel trailer! Wildwood 23BHG...came in at 5100 lbs loaded. (water, gas, 2 six volt batteries, etc). Guess I have lots of extra space for beer!
    Taco was great on the hills..little slow off the start, but that was expected. After about 50km/hr, there was lots of power when climbing...ran it in 4th about 2500 rpm and had no issues keeping the speed limit or very close to on the steep climbs. RV rep came with me and confessed he was surprised with the Taco's performance...he has been a big 3 guy and still had the 'little import' thoughts in mind. Can't wait for the first trip next weekend! BTW - Towing bible was read and re-read a number of times before deciding to buy a trailer we would grow into and the truck would handle instead of going small and trading up in a couple of years. Now the trade up in a couple of years can be to a Tundra.

19. May 31, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    webslinger99

webslinger99 Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Dbl-cab
    Revtek Lift
    Oh ya..I agree the after market tow mirrors are fugly and pretty cheap looking. Anyone have any luck finding a brand other than the Dodge mirror mod?
    Come Toyota....you make a towing package for the taco but no mirriors??

20. May 31, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Congrats.. sounds like same plan I had in 05. Still pulling my trailer today with 109,000 miles on the Tacoma. It just won't give up... though it would be nice to have a Tundra someday.

Products Discussed in

To Top