1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The VapeNation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Wixo, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Feb 18, 2019 at 5:24 AM
    Wixo

Wixo [OP] Platinum+ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 SR5 Tundra CM 5.7L Barcelona Red
    Tint, LED interior
    Any one else vape here? Anyone trying to quit dipping or smoking? I quit chewing tobacco about a year ago with vaping, it was a pretty damn good decision.

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Feb 18, 2019 at 12:30 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
  3. Feb 18, 2019 at 12:34 PM
    Mitch76

Mitch76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    San Angelo, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 STX 4x4 5.0
    275/65-20 Cooper Discoverer XLT. Borla XR1.
    I wasnt sure if it would work for dipping. Ive been dipping for about 8 years after smoking for 15. So i guess you recommend it? My girlfriend vapes and i cant stand the taste. Just doesnt compare to the copenhagen.

Wixo[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 18, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
  5. Feb 18, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    Wixo

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    Tint, LED interior
    I mean there's different flavors. Once you start getting that nice Nic satisfaction from the vape over the dip you will enjoy it. Try maybe a tobacco flavor.

6. Feb 18, 2019 at 1:01 PM
    Wixo

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    Tint, LED interior
    Yeah there's a lot of stupid articles/posts out there like that. One lady said it rotted her sons mouth :rofl:

7. Feb 18, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    My bad.

I forgot Johns Hopkins should have been on the 'stupid resource' list!

8. Feb 18, 2019 at 2:38 PM
    Wixo

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    Tint, LED interior
    Apparently so, at least on this topic. When they say things like this "There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term" you can count them as, maybe not stupid, but uninformed and unqualified to speak on the topic. First off, a quick call (or inspection) to any certified e-juice manufacturer's lab will tell you the 4(3?) ingredients in e-liquid; vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, flavored propylene glycol, and nicotine. Second, there have been multiple studies, most notably this one https://www.vapingpost.com/2017/12/...concerns-observed-in-medium-term-e-cig-users/ . Why do the only studies on electronic cigarettes come from other countries? Well because big Pharma and big tobacco work closely. Most people who quit tobacco and start vaping stop needing their inhalers. They don't use the quitting drugs that big Pharma produces. They don't go to the dr as often. Last, but not least, they stop using tobacco products. Its certain that vaping poses no threat when compared to smoking, but is it harmless? Pretty much. Will there ever be an American study that proves this? No. You think big Pharma and big Tobacco are going to fund the lab that brings them down? What lab is going to lose all of their funding in order to try to prove that vaping is safe? Thats why you only see that foreign labs make progress in this (and many other) field. This one particular study PROVED that vaping is practically harmless. Are we going to believe it? No, we don't trust the foreign or independent labs. Plus, it seems to good to be true that something we enjoy is harmless. This must be too good to be true.

mynewtoy likes this.
  9. Feb 18, 2019 at 11:21 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    So, my perspective. I smoked for many years. And “quit” once or 413,000 times depending on what you classify as quitting. Dipped a lot while underway too, while on watch. I have a pretty addictive personality.

I realized late on that I needed to quit and when I made the decision it was an all or not decision. I went cold turkey. I tell you, the withdrawal are excruciating and hard to manage and push through. But, you gotta find something that gives you that little extra oomph to get through it. Really, it was my boy and having him not see me do those bad habits. You just gotta find that little bit of something that gives you the willpower to overcome. That’s what it took for me.

As for vaping. To me, it’s a crutch used as an excuse to overcome. You’re not really doing anything different except supplementing one form of toxin for another.

If I can quit. So can you. Give it a try and you’ll surprise yourself with the results.

10. Feb 18, 2019 at 11:29 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
  11. Feb 18, 2019 at 11:48 PM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    I've "tried" to quit dipping several times over the course of probably 10-15 years. Never had the desire to completely quit, so I've scaled it down a bit and have been happy with those results.

As for the vaping, can't say I've ever tried it. We had a fat guy at work that used to vape about a bakers dozen of apple pies a day, I'd be so sick of that smell I never wanted to try it in my life. No sense in trading one habit for another as was mentioned before. I'll stick with the tried and true chew crew.

Wixo[OP] and El Duderino like this.
  12. Feb 19, 2019 at 12:01 AM
    socalexpeditions

socalexpeditions IG: @socalexpeditions

Member:
    I picked up "vaping" in high school and became addicted pretty fast. To mention this was after smoking cigarettes and becoming addicted already to a certain degree. I smoked for 5 years or so.

What I can say about it is that since it's so much easier to smoke (no light, no smell, etc), you find yourself using it so much more. I would smoke maybe 10 cigarettes a day, and that's maybe 100 inhales or so. I could easily do 500 on a vape not even thinking about it.

The real way to quit is just stopping cold turkey, finding something to get you through the withdrawals, and dealing with the headache and urges for a week or two. Stay away from alcohol too for a while - I noticed it draws the urge to smoke. Once the nicotine is out of your system, the habit will still be there but you won't feel like utter crap. I found myself eating a lot of sunflower seeds to fulfill the habit I had.

Not to mention, vaping is a killer on your lungs. It took me forever to get my lungs back into shape after doing it for so long. I do not recommend doing it or even starting on it - If you really want to quit, drop it and stick to it. It sucks, it really freaking sucks, but it's doable.

13. Feb 19, 2019 at 12:19 AM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    Replacing one unhealthy thing for another unhealthy thing isn’t a good idea. I was a Redman guy, and tooth picks and sunflower seeds helped me, an a hot girlfriend at the time that hated everything about it.

Bridge4 and Wixo[OP] like this.
  14. Feb 19, 2019 at 12:22 AM
    El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    Good for anyone that is trying to quit. After med school dissections of smokers lungs I’ll never thing about smoking. Best description I could think of a smokers lung is pulling a part a wet rubbish bag. I watch a Chinese man quit on the spot after that day.

Wixo[OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 19, 2019 at 12:39 AM
    HighCountryTacoma

HighCountryTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Off Road Quicksand
    Don't smoke, don't vape, don't drink, don't breath, don't have any fun! But seriously... To any young kids that may read this, seriously don't ever smoke, its one of my greatest and few regrets in my life. The money I have spent to hurt my inner body is unreal. Also google popcorn lung. Vape ain't safe! It blew me away that adds for Juul are on TV.

tcjacado and Wixo[OP] like this.
  16. Feb 19, 2019 at 12:46 AM
    El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yes Popcorn lung is real. I would love to be on a dissection or a vap smoker of 30 years to see how it compares to a 30 year smoker. My dad said the same thing when he quit about how much money he wasted. Finally quit 2 years ago and my mom is at 16 years now.

17. Feb 19, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    Wixo

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    Tint, LED interior
    I never really liked smoking. I dipped, but enjoyed the nicotine too much. I realized I could keep getting that nicotine without actually doing any harm so I went with it. Now, I have asthma. When I smoked (2 packs a week for 3-4 months) I felt it affecting me quite a bit. Now Ive been vaping for a year and dont feel any problems. Just some anecdotal references.

18. Feb 19, 2019 at 6:18 AM
    Wixo

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    Tint, LED interior
    mynewtoy likes this.
  19. Feb 19, 2019 at 6:27 AM
    Hextall

Hextall Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    At the end of the second link: "This work was supported by National Institutes of Health Grants R01CA190678, 1P01CA165980, ES00260, and P30CA16087."

So, the National Institutes of Health. NIH gets its funding for their grants from federal taxes via congress.

Wixo[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  20. Feb 19, 2019 at 6:27 AM
    Wixo

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    Tint, LED interior
    Not this popcorn lung crap again :facepalm:Popcorn lung is caused by diacetyl, the stuff they put in your popcorn to give it that buttery flavor. After many years of working in a popcorn factory exposed to copious amounts of diacetyl you will develop popcorn lung. Moving forward, the companies that make e-juice realized they can use diacetyl to give you a creamier flavor. No one ever got popcorn lung from vaping, ever. The tobacco companies, however, didn't want to lose anymore business so they paid a lab to conduct some studies and find out whats used in the e-liquid. They find the diacetyl, make a hail mary connection, push it out through their media and BOOM! They got more people confused about e-cigs and stay away from em. Come back to daddy tobacco. No companies use diacetyl in the e-liquid anymore. Even when they did it was almost impossible to develop popcorn lung, but you know the media.

Products Discussed in

To Top