1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

They are advertising my TRD Sport as an OR, price is laughable

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TacoBella, May 23, 2017.

1. May 25, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    TakeNoteS

TakeNoteS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Kalama Washington
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silver Taco SR5 LB 4X4
    I guess if you are proven wrong or if you cannot take criticism on TW you just "ignore" them while still posting and talking trash about them. :bucket:

:hattip:

2. May 25, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just FYI.. Goodwill's CEO made $725k in 2011. That's total compensation, not "base pay." Salvation Army's CEO was $127k in 2010, when it was last reported in my 3 second Google search.

Reel it in a little. ;)

Also not sure this belongs on a truck forum.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  3. May 25, 2017 at 3:55 PM
    InfernoTonka

InfernoTonka Infernal Order of Knights Templar of Inferno-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    TOD aka Toyota Onroad Development
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno SAF base model SR5 4x4
    Now you're going to make me look up the old Washington Post article that I read before the recession hit o_O.

I have no doubt that some charities reeled back some of the pay because it was obscene what this guy was getting. It could have been one of those situations where it was a compensation package or something.

Even in my quick seach just now there are regional CEO's at Goodwill making $1 million or more.

4. May 25, 2017 at 3:59 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    CEOs deserve to be paid.

Running a billion dollar corporation isn't cheap, and non profit or not, you need to pay someone who knows what they're doing with that much responsibility and day to day challenges of steering the ship.

I have done business with Goodwill and several other large non profits for nearly 30 years and have slightly more insight to their inner workings than someone who reads an article from a "news" source.

LTacoman likes this.
  5. May 25, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    lapoltba

lapoltba Full Bridge Rectifier

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    '17 Sport, ACLB, V6,MT, 04B14 OV-Tuned
    Doesn't always work that way. ***Edit*** Nvm, I realized after the fact I was agreeing with you. ***Edit*** I had recent first hand experience.
    I was shopping for a truck with very specific requirements. I found several and got prices from several with options that would have put them within $100 of each other. EVERY dealer gave me a "$xxx.xx below invoice" price which is basically meaningless. When I asked what the actual number was things got interesting.

One dealer had a price that was actually the $500 below invoice as claimed, no bullshit. Another nearly identical truck had $100 less in options but was $300 more in cost despite the dealer claiming they were $100 more below invoice. I did visit that dealer and after trying to negotiate a price with them, pointed out the anomaly. The salesman and the finance guy were caught off guard when I actually knew what the hell I was asking for. They then disappeared for about 10 minutes and came back with "invoices" of both trucks by their vin numbers. Magically that difference didn't show up and the trucks were only $100 different in price again.

I then asked them why. No direct answer and some sleazy tactics on monthly payment. We did finally come to an agreement and shook hands. Then they handned me a finance application which I handed right back. I had already told them I would be using my own credit union. Finance guy says "well we can't do this deal unless you finance with us".

I stood up, grabbed his hand and shook it, thanked him for his time and walked out without saying another word. I'm sorry I didn't turn around to see the look on their faces.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    TakeNoteS[QUOTED] and smitty99 like this.
  6. May 29, 2017 at 1:01 PM
    forthisthreadonly

forthisthreadonly New Member

Member:
    Hello All,

I am the Marketing Manager for Apex Automotive. One of the dealerships I work for is East Coast Honda. After noticing over 1,000 referrals to our website site from a forum called "Tacomaworld" in my Google Analytics account, I had to find out what the fuss was. I realize that I am probably running the risk for potentially being trolled mercilessly but I wanted to extend a non-confrontational reply since this does seem to be a pretty heated discussion. Not trying to sell anything here, not trying to grandstand or point fingers. Just offering a long winded yet cordial reply.

TRD Sport - I actually want to thank you all for clarifying that this is a TRD Sport and not an Off-Road package. We use a VIN decoder to decode over 1,200 pieces of inventory that we have on hand between all our dealerships which feeds to all our websites and 3rd party listings like cars.com, autotrader, etc. This software is not always 100% accurate and will input what Trim level it thinks is closets by default. This VIN actually decoded with three options: SR5, Offroad, and Sport. I went in myself and manually changed this to show the correct trim level. We have 7 different franchises in our group but Toyota is not one of them. I also removed the “60 Day Warranty” and input that it came with the upgraded JBL Sound. The 60 Day Warranty applies to select vehicles we have in stock that is less than 5 years old and has less than 75,000 miles. This is a free warranty we offer our customers instead of selling the vehicle “As-Is”. This truck would still come with it but it does kind of look silly on a 2016 with under 10,000 miles.

List Price – I can understand why you may feel that the price listed is a little on the steep side. Please take into account that every buyer wants to get the best possible price, both on the car they are buying AND the car they are trading in, so a discount needs to be built into the value that we price our vehicles at. This is not a game or gimmick but rather the reality of the car market today. Any customer can easily go to the 100’s of online resources available online to find out what a “fair” deal is for any Year/Make/Model vehicle we have in stock. If we priced every car on our lot a $0.01 (penny) over fair market value we would not make a dime because, let’s face it, everyone wants a discount even if the original price we have listed is the best price in a 1,000 mile radius. Another item to take into consideration is the trade-in value that we give the prior owner of the vehicle in question when they come in to buy a replacement car.

Entirely hypothetical, but let’s assume that a customer owns a Tacoma similar to this one and wants to trade it in. For easy math, let’s assume that the NADA fair market value for this vehicle is $30,000 on trade-in. Yet this customer’s Tacoma has upgraded features, extremely low miles, and no accident history. We increase our Trade in offer to $31,000. Now we as the dealership have to Floor this car (dealer speak for the running loan the dealership has outstanding to purchase new and used inventory) and pay interest on that note. We then have to wash it, inspect it, and get it front line ready for the next customer. If this vehicle has an open safety recall, we have to wait for that recall to get fixed extending the amount of time that car spends on our lot, meaning more interest paid on that loan. After all this, we list the vehicle for $35,000. We do not get any bites for 45 days so we lower it to $34,000. Another customer comes in and wants a discount. To get the deal done, we lower the price to $32,000. We are now making $1,000 gross profit. Out of that gross, the sales person takes about 20 – 30% depending on what dealership you work for. That sales person is going to make only $200 - $300 pre-tax on that sale. Now we are down to $700 to cover all the pay for the Sales Managers, Owners, office staff, ad budget, and not to mention the overhead cost it takes to run a 2 acre parking lot that is lighted 24/7 and maintain a multi-million dollar facility that has to be kept up to date to meet the requirements laid out in our Dealer Agreement with our OEM or we lose our right to sell new inventory.

Dealership Invoice – The “invoice” is going to mean something different for pretty much every manufacturer you go to. Some manufacturers charge an extra fee on-top of the dealer invoice to apply to Tier I and Tier II advertising costs. Next, you have accessories. Those roof rails, mud flaps, and tubular side-steps don’t always come on the car from the OEM. The Dealer has to put them on and pay a Service Tech hourly to put those added accessories on. That gets added on to the “Addendum” separate from the true Invoice. Mark up between OEM’s is different too. There is quite literally less than $500 in mark up between what we pay for a new 2017 Honda HR-V and what the MSRP for the customer. That is why dealers are basically forced to add on accessories such as wheel locks, truck trays, pin stripe, and mud guards so that we can actually make a turn a profit.

Appreciate you all catching our listing error, it should hopefully be updated in our next feed run. My one and only request is that you try to refrain from clicking on that link anymore because the bounce rate on my website has increased by 10% since this thread went a little viral. If you must click the link, can you at least click around a few more pages to it doesn’t count as a bounce? ;)

I hope I did not upset anyone. Please do not get offended if I do not respond to any replies.

Cheers!

TakeNoteS likes this.
  7. May 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM
    TakeNoteS

TakeNoteS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Kalama Washington
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silver Taco SR5 LB 4X4
    see what you all did, so much talk they actually had to write a book about what they do.
    :washing:

Tylandus and NJtaco421 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top