1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thinking about getting in the fun of atvs

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by paulm09tacoma, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Dec 9, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    paulm09tacoma

paulm09tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    ok everyone in my tacoma family- happy holidays. with the new year just around the corner- time for a new toy/hobby. im thinking about getting an atv. the question is what should i get because i dont know jack about them. i would be doing light trail riding as opposed to 95mph at a track. im not looking to break land speed records but would like something with good power to possibly pull or plow. please help me friends. youve come through " big time " before so ill give it another try. thank you everyone for your input. happy holidays drive safe.

2. Dec 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I suppose to start with do you have a brand preference? Also have you had the chance to look at them in person and sit on one? If you are thinking plow look to 4wd. Also how do you plan to haul it, in the bed of the truck or on a trailer?

3. Dec 9, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I would suggest a 350-500 CC motor utility quad with 4x4. That should be plenty of power for a plow. I have had a Suzuki Eiger and that was a great quad. I currently have a Can-Am Traxter 500 and 660. They are both good quads but if I had to do it again I would probably buy another Suzuki. It never gave me any trouble. It had good center of balance, always started, Plenty of power, and was easy to ride. IMO the Can-Am Bombardier is for more of an experienced rider. Good Luck with you pick!

Here are my quads the yellow is the Can-Am Bombardier 660 (beast) and the red is the 500.

[​IMG]

4. Dec 9, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    paulm09tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    jester- i really dont have a preference because i dont know which ones are good or bad. i would deff go 4x4 and i will purchase a trailer. have not been to look yet because it seems like there are so many out there. i guess u could say im trying to narrow my search- thank you the more info the better.

MAX- i was kind of leaning in that cc range. also the prices are better in the 500 cc range. i am a beginer so i dont want a rocket under my ass. there doesnt seem to be many suzuki dealers up here in ct and im not really sure how the can-ams are. they sure do appeal to my eye though. they do come with a bigger price tag up here.

5. Dec 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    A 500 is a pretty big motor for a first time rider. My old Suzuki 400 had more than enough power to do anything you wanted. All my quads are CVT automatic. The Suzuki's belt drive never seemed to slip even if the quad was almost submerged. Yamaha and Honda are also good quad. From my experience when looking for my new quads about 3 years ago, the Honda body seemed to be very cheap. The plastic on the fenders were held on by plastic snaps. I didn't really care for that because I could imagine a tree limb snaging it and ripping the plastic or completly off. The Suzuki's plastic was extremly hard and cracked easily as it did on my Suzuki. I did like the Yamaha Grizzly's plastic but when it came to performance the Can-Am Bombardier was far better. It has a great locking front differential. I also looked at the Polaris quads. I really really liked these quads and would have bought one if it wasn't for the deal the Can-Am dealership gave me. The polaris have steel metal skid plates and seem to be a very all around heavy duty quad. You do loose performace though because of the extra weight, but they do have great storage in the front compartment. When you look at a quad check out the maintance requirements. The Honda had an Automatic transmission like a car that would require servicing perodically. Most quads with the CVT belt drive dont require maintance as often. Make sure you are confortable on the quad, because the way they look isn't everything. Having a dealership close to home is also a plus, because you will probably have to purchase some maintance parts there. GOOD LUCK!

6. Dec 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    paulm09tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    ok thank you MAX. ill take it all into consideration. and i dont like the flimsy plastic look. it does break off all the time.

7. Dec 9, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    If you have motorcycle experience, it won't really hurt you to jump on a 700cc... Just respect the vehicle and it'll respect you.

Otherwise start out with a 350-400cc. Also, 4x4 with auto trans will be a lot of fun when you are off in the woods.

I prefer Arctic Cat ATVs myself. The family has two Arctic Cats (one is a 700cc and the other a 400cc I think)... among the 16 or so ATVs we have stored at our property in Deep Creek, MD

8. Dec 20, 2009 at 1:58 AM
    j_cyrus

j_cyrus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rickman TN
    You can't beat the old Honda fourtrax with the metal gas tank. I am pretty sure they are unstoppable. We have a 97 fourtrax 4x4, she's not too quick but we haven't done anything to it besides change the oil.

9. Dec 20, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    kato

kato Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna
    Vehicle:
    tacoma SR5
    My dad has just purchased a polaris 700. It is going to be my job to haul it up to him over the christmas holidays. Being the size that it is, anybody have any suggestions for hauling it. (I have a 1st gen extended cab.) Even better would any of you have photos of your ATVs in the back of your rigs to give me some idea of the scale. Thanks in advance. Kato

10. Dec 20, 2009 at 9:14 PM
    TacomaJohn

TacomaJohn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC 4x4 V6
    Debadged, fog light mod tacoma mats
    i got 2 of them..but they can be dangerous.. i broke my collar bone and my left arm once

11. Dec 21, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    paulm09tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    kato- if you go back one page to main menu and scroll down i think there were a couple threads on people loading atvs in there trucks. some guys had some pics. i cant remember the names of the thread. i know its there tho cause i saw it. sorry i could help more but if i come across it i will put the thread name on this thread. do you or your father recommend polaris also?

12. Dec 21, 2009 at 12:50 PM
    paulm09tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    kato i found the tread. go to page 2 scroll down to " atv in a short bed ". there is that thread to read and a guy name HAMMERDOG (halfway down on that thread) has another web link that might help you also. let me know how you make out cause i might be in the same boat as you this spring.

13. Dec 21, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    x2 I have a 1990 honda fourtrax 300. its got all the armor on the IFS and underbelly and a winch. Ive never needed the winch though. Ive tried and tried to get it stuck but cant!

14. Dec 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    1998tacoma4x4

1998tacoma4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L Auto
    Deaver j59 pack 2.5 SAW coilovers, rear bilstein 5100's. Extened stainless rear brake line, deck plate mod, drop in K&N filter, Kenwood headunit & pioneer speakers, SnugTop Shell.
  15. Dec 21, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franklin,NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD V6 4x4
    metra ipod
    Polaris RZR

16. Dec 21, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    I just rode a Polaris 850(I think) w/ power steering this weekend. We went up to 7,000 ft w/ 2-2 1/2" of untouched snow. It had a lot of power, power steering is amazing, but that bitch is heavy. I think around 800lbs. If it wasn't for the winch we probably would still be up there today.

As for recommendations, I have a 08 Grizzly 450 4x4. I like it a lot. My wife mainly rides it and she loves it. I think if you stick to the 500 cc Utility 4x4 range you will be happy.

EDIT: Independent Rear Suspension is a must for any of my quads.

17. Dec 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    paulm09tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    thank you for all the input guys. i may have to look at a 2 seater cause i think the wife wants to ride along. 500cc 4x4 range is good for me.

18. Dec 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Can-Am Outlander looks like a pretty nice 2 seater.

19. Dec 21, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    Firefighter160

Firefighter160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Can't go wrong with a Honda. Check out the Rancher 420 4x4..... Ive had 3 Honda atvs and wrode just about all others and wouldn't go any other way.....

20. Dec 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    akyota

akyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    10' DC trd-offroad mag gray
    none yet
    Kingquad 450 axi! Love my machine

To Top