1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thinking about trading in my 2.7 for a v6

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mcleod90, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Apr 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
    the only hills around here come when you climb up out of the swamp
    that said my 11 DC with 2.7 auto has plenty of power for me

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    IF you trade, go with the last one. Its cheapest 4wd and tow package, if you haul a lot like I do the full size bed is a must!

Keep in mind that you might have troubles getting it financed for more than 48months due to high miles...

3. Apr 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    mcleod90

mcleod90 [OP] 150,000 miles and counting

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    modesto ca
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab
    How do you negotiate prices?

4. Apr 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    KBB is high...Use Edmunds for for worst case. Dealers use KBB for advertising "under Kelly Blue Book" But if you actually compare Edmunds with Kelly Edmunds uses real market value KBB seems to use "advertised prices"

Assuming its a base model 4WD with 10K miles
    I would be surprised if you got more than $16K in Actual Cash Value on the trade. Mods decrease the value of a truck unless you sell it to someone who wants them. Over half the potential market is lost on a modded truck...Even nearly half the people even on this Tacoma enthusiast" site don't modify their trucks with the exception of reversible easy mods.

They indicate a younger previous owner who may have trashed it. People want to build youth vehicles and buy Grandpa's untouched vehicles. Most buyers won't pay a premium for modifications they did not do themselves. Stocks is almost always worth more by the book.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tacoma/2010/tmv-appraise-results.html

The bast I have found in 25 years to REALLY to find out what the actual cash value is. find a Carmax and let them appraise the truck and they WILL make an offer to buy it. They will print you a price that they WILL buy it for TODAY or in a week. THAT is what your truck is worth for real becasue that's money in hand. Not money hidden in the overpriced used vehicle.

Trading in used for used is always a dealers dream deal.... Because you are at a disadvantage. You don't know what they paid for the used vehicle so you cannot "offer over or under "invoice"

You have to KNOW what your vehicle is definitely worth and the only way I know of doing that is via Carmax. What you are offered in cash today is what its worth. Everything else is pie in the sky.

When a dealer highballs my trade I ask for a check for it. BEFORE I commit to buy anything. Needless to say they won't do that without KNOWING what you are buying so they can finagle the numbers. You never really know what the ACV was on your trade regardless whats on the buyers contract.

You cannot possible make an offer on any vehicle without knowing the ACV of your trade. Period. You want to know if KBB is a good number. Tale you vehicle to a few dealerships that "offer to buy you vehicle" and offer to sell it outright and see what they offer.

5. Apr 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    mcleod90

mcleod90 [OP] 150,000 miles and counting

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    modesto ca
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab
    They are giving me 17000 for mine

6. Apr 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Is yours a 4WD? Assuming it is. You are making the second largest purchase people make. Don't do it just becasue you "want to" those of us who are older and can easily pay cash and even buy new are in this position becasue we ask questions do a lot of research and don't just do it becasue we can. Its a lifelong habit that produces far more freedom and choices in midlife.

Will they write you a check for that without buying a car from them? A dealer can buy your truck all day long at auctions. They won;t give you more in ACV than they can buy the same for at the auction. Ask for a check.....Only then will you know what they are really "giving" you. If they balk, they are using the sale CONTINGENT on the vehicle you buy in which case you have no idea what they are "giving" you for yours.

If they will write you a check take the money rent a car for a few days/ and do some serious shopping. If you have a payoff the numbers will get really funny in a hurry.

Bottom line is do what you want. But buyer beware. They would LOVE to take in a 2010 for a high mileage used vehicle they paid little for. ACV. they could probably offer you $20K on paper for yours and still make a good profit.

Products Discussed in

To Top