1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking of buying a 1999 Sr5 4x4

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by l3igl3ang, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Apr 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    l3igl3ang

l3igl3ang [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi i am going to check out a 1999 sr5 4x4 tommarow for $4,800 which im going to try to get for $4,200 or no more then $4,400 it has 222k miles on it but i heard these trucks last forever and the resale value seems very high on these or so in my area here in Ar there hard to come by w/o driveing 400 or 500 miles to get it. Theres was one thing i was wondering though what is the difference between the Sr5 and the TRD off road? dose the TRD off road set higher off the ground? or something and if so is there a way to make the Sr5 look like the TRD off road? But by looking at the 2 on pictures they look the same other then it saying TRD off road on it.

KDWREN 05 likes this.
  2. Apr 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    thenrie

thenrie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    SR5 is just a fancy trim kit. The TRD is the off-road kit, which includes some things like an electronic locker rear diff, possibly lower diff gears, Bilstein shocks (which won't make much difference at 222K miles). Can't think of what else it includes right off, but the TRD option is good. Make sure you check the frame for cancer (rust). The critical places are just ahead of the front spring perches for the rear suspension. If you feel or see rust flakes on the frame, check with an awl or screwdriver (something to poke the frame with) for any rust-through.

Here's the funny thing: If it is rusting out BUY IT!!!!! You can then turn around and Toyota will buy it from you at above high-book value!!! (some restrictions apply...)

Seriously, check for the rust, man. Toyota will buy it from him, but might not from you until after you have owned it a while. They have, however, extended the frame rust-out warranty to 15 years, I believe. Check out some of the threads on this forum. There is a ton of pretty good, reliable information.

3. Apr 21, 2009 at 3:26 AM
    savoy

savoy tacoma 4 life

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Fort mcmurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma double cab black
    Pro comp 6" lift, afe intake, flowmaster duel exhaust, dick cepek 35" mt's, and black XD rims
    I drive a 99 tacoma SR5 4x4 with the TRD package

the truck is excellent for city, and some off road. however it lacking big time in on the high way ....as the uni body suspension causes it to sway side to side at high way speeds exceeding 75mph. other then that the truck is great!!!

oh and they come with square cup holders .....though i can thing of to many drinks that come in square containers ......count on a mess every time you take a sharp turn lol

4. Apr 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    jeff6001

jeff6001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 trd prerunner
    Square cup holders? Mine doesn't. Maybe the 4x4 turns your cup holders into squares?

5. Jun 8, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    KDWREN 05

KDWREN 05 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5
    4' Lift, Front Bumper, Winch, Aftermarket leather seats.
    Bought a 99 Sr5 3.4 for about 4k the beginning of this year 190,000 miles I think that if taken care of this pickup would be a steal.

TACOTU3 likes this.
  6. Jun 9, 2022 at 4:01 AM
    Cucvfan

Cucvfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to Tacomaworld.
    The O.P. was going to look at that truck back in 2009.

Products Discussed in

To Top