1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking of buying a tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NiceTaco, May 1, 2008.

1. May 1, 2008 at 4:43 PM
    NiceTaco

NiceTaco [OP] Canadian Redneck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    Im thinking of buying an 08 tacoma

i live in canada and just have a few questions about the tacoma.
    are they a reliable truck ( i know most toyotas are)
    Im thinking of buying either the double cab or the access cab.
    can you get the TRD off road package in the double cab or only the access cab because from what i understood at the dealership its only available in the access cab here in canada.. i know ive seen the double with the off rd on the net...? so i may have to get the TRD Sport

whats the diffrences between the TRD Sport package and the TRD off rd package..

thanks

2. May 1, 2008 at 5:16 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Well since no 2nd genners are biting here's my 2....Tacomas are well within their zone nowadays in terms of power, ability, reliability, LOOKS (check around here). At this point given the climate out there (GM is shutting down truck production!!!!:( and other guys are still having issues) you would be wise to join us in being da savvyest bunch of truck owners on da PLANET:D oh and get a dbblcab 'cause the room is always welcome:)

3. May 1, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TacomaWorld. I don't know whats offered up there in Canada as far as the TRD goes. If you get a Tacoma you won't be dissappointed. I believe it's the best Truck out there!

4. May 1, 2008 at 6:14 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    1st off, welcome to TW.

TRD Sport-17" wheels, colorkeyed bumpers, street tuned suspension, limited slip differential, hood scoop
    TRD Offroad-chrome bumpers, 16" wheels, offroad tuned suspension, locking rear differential

I know there are other differences, but these are the main ones. Not sure about Canada, but the offroad package is available for the doublecab in the US, but only in short bed.

5. May 1, 2008 at 6:17 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Nice ,Toy:) Hey Nicetaco- get that TRD Sport with the hood scoop and this forum will actually show you how to make the scoop functional!!!!:D

6. May 1, 2008 at 6:19 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Hehe.....thanks to TW, I know a bunch about a truck I don't even have.:rolleyes:

7. May 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM
    wrxed96

wrxed96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can't say much about the difference with CA models. I thought the TRD sport up there was a Yamaha edition or something like that. You may want to check about it. There is a couple differences between look, the hood scoop and more stuff is painted on the sport, the big difference to me is the locking diff vs. the limited slip. As far as reliability, 37k and no real problems here, couple small warranty issues, armrest and my ac talking to me. I do have a ticker, sounds like the valves to me, but it is about 50/50 and I've not heard of anyone actually complaining about that other than the sound. I would say overall its much better than any of the competition.

8. May 1, 2008 at 7:07 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    A quick search would have answered your questions.

Or a trip to toyota.com

9. May 1, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Why? I'd rather hear it from these guys than some pitch from Toyota Inc. I think he's asking the right people:thumbsup:

10. May 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    -1, maybe because some of these questions get answered 3 or 4x's a week!

For the OP, figure out a way to buy it state side, then transfer it to the Great White North; will save you THOUSANDS!!

11. May 1, 2008 at 9:00 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Ok I see your point but it was his 1st post and I see by your second sentence you sort of agree to cut him a break?:)

12. May 2, 2008 at 8:50 AM
    Mingy

Mingy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.

I am in Ontario. I have a Doublecab 4x4 6spd TRD on order. Delivery 1st week of June.

I assume the Tacoma is reliable because every Toyota I've owned has been reliable, and everybody I know who has owned a Toyota (except the guy who didn't believe in oil changes) has found them to be reliable. I am trading in a 1999 4Runner with 280,000 km. I changed the brakes and had the timing belt replaced. Thats it. Same exhaust, clutch, etc..

You might want to consult the Canadian Brochure.
    http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObj...oma-CdCrdO4uSSCXnlxnFtml60/5.15?v131080e.html

The options available depend on whether it is a 4x2 or 4x4, as you can see. In 4x4, Access Cab options are slightly different than Double Cab. The SR5 packages are different as well, and the TRD packages biuld on the SR5. Access Cab TRD Package is 'Off Road' and has differential lock and protector plates. Double Cab TRD 'Sport' has limited slip differential.

Even though I'd like the protector plates, the packages are more expensive on the double cab, so I guess you get more stuff.

For me, it boiled down to whether I wanted to cram my brother into the back of an Access Cab when we go hunting, or treat him all civilized.

13. May 2, 2008 at 8:58 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Nah throw him out in the back and make him hold down the dead carcasses

14. May 2, 2008 at 9:00 AM
    Mingy

Mingy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I do with the 4Runner - I stripped out the rear seats and use is as a pickup. You should have seen the look of horror at the dealer, since where I live this is a 'mom's car'

But he is getting old, and, he IS my big brother ...

15. May 2, 2008 at 3:03 PM
    NiceTaco

NiceTaco [OP] Canadian Redneck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    Ya i just found on the canadian site that in the double cab only the sport is available
    and access only off road is available
    oh well i kinda wanted the LSD so looks like ill get the double cab..Im 26 but according to my wife kids are on the way i have no choice...! ive been told

another question what is prefered on the double the 6ft bed or the 5..im thinking the 5 will look more sporty but i want to be able to put a quad back there

Thanks for your replys...and to those who said hey you could have searched or gone to toyota...i have been searching and a salesmen is a salesmen..enough said

16. May 2, 2008 at 7:36 PM
    Mingy

Mingy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    If you get auto, you get a 6' bed. If you get manual you get a 5' bed.

I have no idea why they do it that way.

For me, I will only own a manual, so that meant a short bed.

As for salesmen, they sell you what they got, or sell you what gets them the most money.

Most important of all, don't waste money on extended warranty, rust proofing, paint sealing, nitrogen in the tires, etc.. That process makes me so angry - all the scams they line up to fleece you.

Depending on where you are, rustproofing may be a good idea, but you can get a much better treatment for much less money elsewhere.

17. May 2, 2008 at 8:16 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Mingy's got wisdom here I gotta agree! When I bought mine in '01 I paid like $1100 for a 7 yr 100,000 mile warranty and it expired 3 days ago..never used it! I never got the 'clearcoat' because I am an avid waxer (avg every 4-5 months) and well check the pics;)

18. May 2, 2008 at 8:25 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    Welcome to TW nicetaco. Check out Toyota.ca to see what they offer in Canada.

19. May 3, 2008 at 10:16 AM
    Mingy

Mingy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    The extended warranty is the biggest and most profitable scam in the world. I've been driving 30+ years and never spent more than $1,000 on non-warranty repairs in the first 5 years of owning a vehicle. If I was thinking I needed and extended warranty because of the reputation of the vehicle, I'd buy something else. Its amazing how a Toyota salesman can talk to you about their legendary reliability, and then turn you over to somebody trying to scare you into buying an extended warranty.

Anyhow, on angle is to get you to think of it as 'insurance'. Now when I shop for a car I dress like a bum (i.e. the way I usually dress). I always pay cash. So the way I shut them down is I say something like "Look, I just gave you a cheque for $38,000. If I had to write another cheque for that amount it would bother me, but not be a financial problem. I can afford repairs."

That takes the wind out of their sales pretty quick.

One thing, though. They always have real purdy young ladies trying to make the deal. :D

20. Jan 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    OK, the following are my observations and thoughts of the 2nd gen Taco base con my history, coming from an 88 Toy to a 2004 Taco and now a 2007. Currently I can say that although the 2nd gen Toys appear tough as a tank in mechanical reliability there are a few things that are to be considered.

1, the paint. It is thin, chips and scratches easily. No warranty covers paint damage (except in rare circumstances of some type of peeling). I've got rock chips in my paint everywhere.. doors, hood, even the tailgate (Idrive with tailgate down sometimes).

2, the new frame/body. Much wider then the 1st Gens. Tough to squeeze it down most trails around here (we have lots of overgrowth in the NW), so I get tons of scratches. Also, it sits at about 9in off the ground in the front end. The 1st Gens clear about 12in. So, a small lift for any off road activity will be advisable (mine is still stock TRD off-road package)

3, plastic bed. There are many fans I'm sure. It is pretty tough and light. But if you put a cap on the bed as I do you'll grow to hate it. The bed rails don't sit flat and are not solidly attached to the bed. It takes lots of extra effort to get the cap to sit on there solidly.

4, access cab windows. I love Toyota access cabs.. since I don't need a 4-door most of the time. Definitely way better then the 88 access cab (called a cab+ I think?), anyway the rear windows are fixed in place and don't open, not even a crack. The 1st Gen ones did. This is a fairly claustrophobic educing / car sickness situation for some passengers.. especially on long rough terrain trips.

5, front sway arms. Try to never ever have to use chains. There is about a 1/4in-1/2in gap between these arms and the back of the tires. I've never seen a design "feature" such as this before from Toyota. You'll have to get the Type "S" chains and frequently check for tightness or you could really mess up the suspension up front.

6, no sunroof option. One feature I had in both my 88 and 04 was the sunroof. Just the kind that pops up a 1in crack at the back. I love having a sunroof. I'm so bummed that Toyota decided not to offer one in the 2nd Gen Tacos.

7, plastic front bumper. OK, the flimsy metal ones on the prior models were not much better I guess.. but come on, plastic? For a truck bumper? I've already torn my front bumper open in several places.. partly thanks to the 9in clearance, super bouncy squishy front shocks, and a misconceived notion on my part that I could stop before tapping that occasional tree or rock at the campsite.

8, lock-less gas cap. No locking fuel door option. Yeah, I guess if somebody is going to pour sugar in your tank a flimsy locking door isn't going to do much.. and maybe a more wanted missing feature is the locking tailgate.

Now I'm sure that all these problems are not shared by everyone, it's just my perspective. And I do know that there are lots of great aftermarket products and mods that can compensate for pretty much anything.. but I felt you deserved an honest frank look at the design.. if I had to do over again I'd probably have kept my 04? But then again there are many great and wonderful things about the newer ones. I love the more powerful engine, the towing capacity (when properly equipped), the feel on-road when highway driving, etc..

Products Discussed in

To Top