Thinking of getting a 5th Gen this year

Discussion in '4Runners' started by SixthSnail, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Jan 14, 2016 at 9:40 PM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail [OP] I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    I have had my 2007 Tacoma Access Cab for about a year and a half now and love it. However, I've been really eying the 5th Gen runners. At first, I thought they were nice but not for me. I loved the huge aftermarket for the Tacoma. Anyway, now that they aftermarket is growing for the 5th gen, They are really getting my attention.

The main thing leading me away from the truck is that I will be working in Los Angeles starting in September. I interned there this summer and driving the tacoma was a hassle. It's a pretty big truck for a midsize. Also, I don't haul anything too large. That is why I put a shell on. I feel like having the back seat and slightly less storage space would be an overall win.

Also, I'd want to grab a model that has a few bells and whistles already. Especially a locker. I have a Sport so no locker.

I wanted to hear from real 5th gen owners what their thoughts on them were. Especially if you went to the runner from the taco.

Should I keep this?

Or switch to this (2014):

[​IMG]

Bumpers like these got me drooling: :drool::drool::drool:

Southern Style Speed Rear:
    fargo4x4-albums-ig%3A+@fargo4x4-picture3_c271a11ad6e9c494f4d0139e96c5bf5d0b38b292.jpg

Pelfreybilt Front:
    [​IMG]

TacoCynGsxr likes this.
  2. Jan 15, 2016 at 11:16 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    Wicked

S13chris likes this.
  3. Jan 15, 2016 at 11:18 AM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    That rear bumper is pretty badass.

4. Jan 15, 2016 at 11:51 AM
    SixthSnail

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    Really? Well depending on price, I might omit the locker.
    I love that ladder!

5. Jan 15, 2016 at 11:58 AM
    SixthSnail

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    Awesome! That should save me a couple thousand when shopping around. I love the quicksand color on the 2016 but I feel like a 2016 will be too expensive for me. MSRP is like 40k.

6. Jan 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM
    Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    One can never have too many light bars.
    I don't think the 4runner is much smaller than a Tacoma. If your taco is a manual I 100% understand the switch to an automatic 4runner. I drove a manual a couple times in LA and my left leg was sore after.

SixthSnail[OP] likes this.
  7. Jan 15, 2016 at 12:07 PM
    SixthSnail

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    No its and auto. Just Can't see back well and it's rough constantly switching lanes quickly. One of my major reasons is the added passenger comfort though. I feel so bad smashing people in the back of my access cab.

8. Jan 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Dooo eeett!!!
    I love the current gen Runners. They are so awesome looking.

SixthSnail[OP] likes this.
  9. Jan 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM
    SixthSnail

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    I think so too. It would depend on how much I could get for my Tacoma but I think I could find a good deal on a 2014 Runner

10. Jan 15, 2016 at 12:13 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Yeah usually you can indeed find some smokin' deals for them. If I had to do it all over again, I would actually probably end up going with a Runner over the Taco because much less modifications have to be made to the frame to have it fully boxed. Actually I hear they come from the factory that way.

11. Jan 15, 2016 at 12:33 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    If you don't use your bed on the Tacoma much, you'll be happy with the T4R. I know I am...

Came from this (white one) to that (blue one in the background).

12. Jan 15, 2016 at 12:34 PM
    Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    One can never have too many light bars.
    ohh limited you fancy huh?

Zoot and SixthSnail[OP] like this.
  13. Jan 15, 2016 at 12:38 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    4x4, 5 seat unit. I use it mostly as a DD and put 40k plus a year on it so decided I wanted the JBL & heated/cooled seats.

I thought the Taco and T4R would be more similar than they are but, not as close as I had thought...I really dig the T4R and as long as it remains a body on frame, Toyota will sell me another in a few years.

.28 and SixthSnail[OP] like this.
  14. Jan 17, 2016 at 7:48 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    I had several Tacos and now have a 4R Trail.

Each has their ups and downs. Your Taco is pretty sweet - you'll be dropping a lot of fresh money to set a Runner up that way, which would be my number 1 reason for keeping the (your) Taco.

That said, overall, I prefer the 4R to the Taco because it is more comfortable, has a nicer interior, is more quiet, feels more "well built", has more options, is shorter (than an access cab by quite a bit), gets better gas mileage, and is more useful for my lifestyle. I also think it looks just fucking bad ass!

The Taco bed was useful but I only used it occasionally, not enough to justify having a truck. I can always borrow or rent a trailer as the specific need to haul something large arises. The rear seat on my access cab was not usable for adults and basically was just a storage space, and an inconvenient one at that.

You know what I miss about the Tacoma most of all? The cupholders! Everyone jokes about it having 47 cupholders but they were handy for all manner of shit. I also wish the 4R was available in a 6 speed manual.

As far as a locker, I never had a vehicle with a locker before this one. I probably wouldn't have spec'd a locker if I was buying new, but since I was buying used, I took what was available in the price range I had, and the Trail was at the dealer and in my budget. Now that I've had it and used it in offroad situations, I don't think I would want another 4x4 without one. It is literally like activating a remote ladder to walk up shit. Additionally, the Trail has crawl control and terrain select for use with 4Lo, options that I don't think the 2nd gen Tacos had.

Since I've gotten the 4R (which is mostly stock save for larger tires and a 2.5" leveling lift) I've been exploring all sorts of off road stuff; I've taken it camping more times than I ever did with my Tacos, and I'm just generally enjoying the experience of owning it. I liked my Tacos (and kind of wish, from a financial standpoint, that I'd just kept my old 1st gen), but I LOVE the 4R.

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-fVw9N4T6aI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MartyMcfly and fatfurious2 like this.
  15. Jan 19, 2016 at 4:13 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    that's the move i did and absolutely love it. went from a 2011 peerunner to a 2015 TE just put a stage 5 icon and mickey thompsons wheels and tires.DSC02186.jpg

Guerrilla and ChadsPride like this.
  16. Jan 19, 2016 at 4:14 PM
    SixthSnail

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    Looks incredible man. You guys have sold me. It is just gonna be a matter of dollars now.

17. Jan 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    if you're going to trade your truck in,you'd be surprised how much thell give you for your 07. just keep haggling.

18. Jan 19, 2016 at 4:17 PM
    SixthSnail

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    Think I need to bring it back to stock first?

19. Jan 19, 2016 at 4:19 PM
    SixthSnail

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    Haha I would love too! I'm just starting out though. Graduating from college in June and starting out in the real work world in September. I'm happy to know I have a job lined up, but I don't make enough to keep two cars. Paying for two parking spots in Los Angeles would bankrupt me.

ChadsPride likes this.
  20. Jan 19, 2016 at 4:21 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    i know what you mean. i had a hell of a time trying to find stock parts for my 2011 tacoma. i had sold and or traded all my stock parts but i was able to get everything back. found most of the parts on craigslist and on this forum. good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top