1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thinking of moving to the Austin area, tell me about it

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Citron, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Sep 12, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    Citron

Citron [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR
    There is a job in Bastrop that I may apply. What is the area like? As a kid I lived in Beaumont for a few months, and have been to Lubbock once. Also lived in Mississippi, Alabama, Alaska, North Dakota, Montana, and Washington. Really want to get out of Washington. I understand Texas is more like Alabama and North Dakota as far as no public land to speak of, correct? Is there much to do outside? Thinking more of dispersed camping, kayaking, hiking, fishing.

2. Sep 12, 2021 at 4:50 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    There's lots to do outside in Texas, just have to do if differently. The Austin area is nice, very central to lots of places to recreate.

Citron[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 12, 2021 at 4:56 PM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    Austin has a big music and bar scene. U of T is there. Its gotten expensive.

Citron[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 12, 2021 at 8:48 PM
    Citron

Citron [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR
    What do you mean "do it differently"? Because of lack of public land, or because of the weather?

5. Sep 13, 2021 at 4:46 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    Lack of public land. We have a good State Park system...but requires camping reservations sometimes months in advance. Not a lot of dispersed camping.

6. Sep 13, 2021 at 4:58 AM
    texas angler

texas angler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    20 OR
    Bastrop...it is nothing at all like Beaumont or Lubbock....or Austin. And FYI...plenty to do in this great state with\without reservations.

I'll just state the most obvious. Real estate "bubble" down here has been mislabeled far too long. It's never going to pop like they said it would 10 years ago or when the pandemic hit. My point? You'll pay top dollar for that Bastrop lot/block/spec built home. Even more if you get any closer to Austin.

Good luck and enjoy this beautiful state.

Citron[OP] and Naveronski like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top