1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking through suspension options

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by Rola2010, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Nov 15, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    Rola2010

Rola2010 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2wd base RC
    Been searching around and can't find exactly what I'm looking for, and many of the options/links provided are with companies that no longer exist or no longer sell the products mentioned.

Need some help thinking through suspension options.

My truck is a 2nd gen base (4x2) regular cab (2.7L) on X-Runner running gear (front springs and Bilstein struts, X-Runner leafs). Also has DJM control arms up front; 2" tapered blocks and QA1 shocks at the rear. Frame is not notched. Ride is way too rough for a daily. Also have clearance issues with the rear bump stops (at best, there is about 1 1/2" clearance). Front sits at about 15 3/4" from axle to fender, rear about 16 1/4".

Considering the following options:
    1. Removing lowering blocks and/or switching control arms to stock. Clearance issues would be solved but ride would not improve and rake would either be too much or reversed.
    2. Change front springs only to stock, use 4x4 springs at rear. Unsure if ride quality will improve with 4x4 springs but can likely find minimally used ones easy/cheap/local in Hawaii and can keep rear and front shocks. Lift at front will be minimal (1/2" at best, according to other's experiences) and clearance at rear should improve as blocks can be removed since 4x4 springs should drop rear lower than XR leafs alone do.
    3. Change springs (front and rear) to stock. Ride and clearance should improve (mimimal front) but aftermarket and used options are minimal, and would likely end up buying everything new. Will also need new shocks for rear due to ride height increase, and quality of non-OEM stuff is questionable.

Your experience, input, or suggestions appreciated. Mahalo.

pinktaco808 likes this.
  2. Nov 15, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    The wheel tire combo can also be a big contributor to a rough ride.

What are you rolling?

The street truck forum doesn't get as much action as other area on this board, so it may take a bit before you get a response.

3. Nov 15, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
  4. Nov 15, 2020 at 10:53 AM
    Rola2010

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2wd base RC
    Sorry, thought I included it - Xr wheels and tires (255/45 R18). They are Goodrich G-force comp 2.

5. Nov 15, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  6. Nov 15, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Strictly Street uses coilover by a company called Viking Performance or something. Don't quote that exactly.

Got a few PreRunner guys even running them.

I'll tag you there.

7. Nov 16, 2020 at 8:00 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    Get the coil over and steel rear leaf with qa1 use djm arms

8. Nov 16, 2020 at 8:00 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    4 in block and notch

9. Nov 17, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    hemitruk

hemitruk Old man , young boi truk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab Sport,
    A few
    Member on here mjbtaco sells shorter bump stops for rear . Also how clearance in front (bump stops ). Energy suspension sells shorter ones . I would make sure clearances is good first to make sure thats not the cause of the harsh ride . Then if you can afford it adjustable coilovers would help a lot also in ride quality . As torspd said viking performance double adjustable coilovers work great .I'm running viking coilover in front and double adjustable shocks in rear and love it (lowereed prerunner) . Down side cost .Spent about $1200 with shipping to Hawaii.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/lowered-b-s-thread.141305/page-
    142#post-24448628

https://www.tacomaworld.com/attachments/viking_appguide_1218-pdf.4184770/

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  10. Nov 17, 2020 at 6:13 PM
    Rola2010

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2wd base RC
    Thanks for the help and replies. Hadn't thought to look at the front bump stops and you are right, there isn't much clearance, if I'm looking at the right thing (circled):

I believe the measurement on the DJM one already on the kit is 1.75"; is it just a matter of replacing it with a shorter one? Is it possible to go too short?

Also, I believe I was mistaken - the leafs may already be 4x4/Prerunner leafs as they have that familiar "floating end" second leaf (second pic). Can anyone confirm? The tops have been painted over so I can't readily see the part #.

The bump stops at the rear are already shorter ones (about the size of an oreo cookie) so I'll have to do a bit more to get more clearance. Seems the easiest place to start is with the front bump stops and removing the blocks at the rear; this will give me the clearance I'm looking for in the short term to pass recon (an additional inspection we have required for modified vehicles) and give me a bit more time to think about a long term solution. What I'm leaning towards is replacing the control arms with stock ones and sort of starting from scratch, instead of starting with a 3" drop at the front and working around that.

Appreciate everyone's input; keep it coming - I'm new to this modifying game but man is it addicting - and expensive, haha.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  11. Nov 17, 2020 at 7:24 PM
    hemitruk

hemitruk Old man , young boi truk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab Sport,
    A few
    Yea I would go with lower profile bump stops in front . There is 2 shorter version . Look on bottom of this thread product discussed .
    You can go to short on bump stops . Need to know specs on your struts . Find compressed length and see its within limits. But seems you hitting bump stops for sure.
    When I lowered my prerunner was hitting bumpstop in front on bumps . Went with shorter ones and made a BIG difference in ride quality for me .
    I would start with just the shorter bump stops and see from there .

12. Nov 18, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    Pull. A leaf or get aftermarket ones i seen steel

13. Feb 3, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    mason33x

mason33x Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 2.7 regular cab
    k&n filter , cherry bomb muffler , 2/3 drop
    I have a 2/3 drop rn this summer I’m going to buy the djm kit 3/4 and get 4x4 leafs I’m looking with that I’d have a 5/5.75 drop

pinktaco808 likes this.
  14. Feb 3, 2021 at 12:49 PM
    geoff w

geoff w Well-Known Member

Member:
    malibu
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma 4x2 SR5
    I put the same wheels on my '14 access cab, replacing the stock 15" steel wheels and crappy skinny Dunlop tires. I put on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus. The ride was immediately much smoother and my truck felt much better planted on the road. Looking on tires.com reviews, the Michelins get better reviews for comfort. Maybe look at some other tire options? Mine still rides like a truck, but it is more comfortable than before

pinktaco808 likes this.
  15. Feb 3, 2021 at 1:36 PM
    Rola2010

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2wd base RC
    Thanks for the input guys - forgot to update that I did find a set of stock front springs and did the swap, along with removal of the lowering blocks at the rear. It brought the front of the truck up a little more than 1" and the rear came up 2", and now has no clearance issues (or banging around, haha). It's still a little bouncy up front, my suspicion is the Xr Bilsteins are too short for the stock springs (the stock springs were about 1 3/4" taller than the Xr springs I removed) so the Bilsteins are more extended and/or the springs are more static compressed than they should be. I'm happy with the overall ride height and improvement, so I'll leave it like this for now until necessity dictates otherwise. Also will likely keep the DJM control arms as they are greaseable.

I did an updated post in the lowered b.s. thread which has a pic of the spring height difference. Thanks again guys for the help!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    pinktaco808 likes this.
  16. Feb 4, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    mason33x

mason33x Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 2.7 regular cab
    k&n filter , cherry bomb muffler , 2/3 drop
    Dang I only have half a inch of front bump stop clearance

17. Aug 12, 2021 at 10:45 AM
    codyf44

codyf44 New Member

Member:
    Just bought an 2011 with 33,000 miles access cab, ride is rough bone stock. I planned on 3/4 DJM but wonder if I could improve the ride by just swapping shocks/struts first before I start cutting up the frame. I have a set of Bilsteins in my cart right now but before I spend $300 I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with these? I wanted to get QA1 but not sure what ride between them and the Bilstein would be.

18. Aug 12, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    Rola2010

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2wd base RC
    While I would think the Bilsteins should be an improvement over the stock shocks, I can't confirm as my truck came with the Bilsteins (as well as XRunner shorter/stiffer springs) so I don't know how they actually compare from experience. They would be the simplest way to make a suspension improvement though as they are a direct swap for the stock units, but I don't know if the ride quality will improve. Also, they are particular to each side (there's a left and right) - it actually makes a huge difference if you don't install them correctly.

Adjustable shocks (like Vikings or QA1's) are definitely a step above the Bilsteins, and the adjustability would definitely allow you to adjust your ride more to your preferences, but they will cost more and they only directly replace the rear set; for the front, you will either need to have custom upper mounts made and purchase new springs, or get SOS spring perches like I did and piece together your shock/spring assembly.

Products Discussed in

To Top