1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

This Anti-rattle device, works!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mvega1969, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Apr 16, 2008 at 10:43 AM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    One of my first posted threads was about asking for advice on any anti-rattle, anti-wiggle, anti-sway device that had worked for anyone, since our Tacoma's OEM hitch receiver is bigger and stronger than others I noticed that it was a difficult task to get one 100% functional, well with a small mod to it this one worked perfectly:

Anti-rattle device.jpg

With our OEM hitch this device does not work upwards (as shown in the picture), because of the clearance space between the lower part of the bumper and the top part of the hitch (about ½ in). In my case I installed it downwards after I properly grind about 1/8in of the inner nut where the silver bolt bolts (not the outside one), this was the mod, after this the device is able to be put in place and bolted properly, this reduction was done in order to align properly both the hitch and this device and have the ball mount slide in easily. I hope this can help anyone with this rattle issue, other than closing windows, wear headphones or anything like these solutions.

Here is the link of one of the places where you can get it:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ts&QueryText=towing&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

If it does not work go to Cabela's and search for item #: IJ-520365

2. Apr 16, 2008 at 11:57 AM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the tip. 15.00 plus shipping at Cabela's.

3. Apr 16, 2008 at 12:29 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Why not save your 15.00 and remove your drop hitch and store it in the truck?....I would!....Considering gas here in so cal has hit as high as 4.05 a gallon! :eek:

4. Apr 16, 2008 at 12:37 PM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    You might find some others but because of the OEM receiver width at the hole where the pin lock goes (more than normal), they are useless I have tried (bought (local and online) and returned) these ones:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is a: Valley Industries Silent Hitch pin and the other is a different brand BUT... BOTH pins are NOT long enough to lock.

[​IMG]

This one requires a special receiver with main and secondary holes to stabilize your ball mount against the receiver through your secondary hole. It is USELESS.

After all these... recomended option is this:

[​IMG]

5. Apr 16, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    As much as I would like to trim the weight as much as possible, there are things that I will not let go of. I have a bunch of recovery gear (and more in a tote I take when 'wheeling) and tools. I also have a sleekster light bar and my own custom rear light bar. These are both for the obvious as well as parking lot protection (people that park by braille). Also, what about when I am towing? It still makes a racket with the trailer hitched up. For 15 smackers, I will take it. (truth be told, I already made my own tightening knob for my rear bar but I did not want to drill into the hitch for the ball that the trailer mates to)

6. Jul 21, 2008 at 10:13 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Oh man am I thankful I came back and checked TacomaWorld :)

Is this device just for light loads? Or can I use it to pull my boat or fully loaded utility trailer? I notice the clucking the worst on my utility trailer.

While we are on the subject, anyone recommend a locking coupler / reciver set with matching keys? The one I just bought from walmart is aparently too short to fit through the Tacoma hitch!

7. Jul 21, 2008 at 11:08 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    Check out my post here... I got a drill bit and made it to where my hitch pin is countersunk so the pin that was too short now fits!!

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2408278&postcount=14

full post

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257952

8. Jul 21, 2008 at 11:22 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors

I use Master lock receiver lock for my hitch. And on my boat I just use a padlock.

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Hardened receiver pins for increased sheer strength
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Precision 4-pin tumbler mechanism resists picking
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Key retaining for increased safety
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] K1 key blank for all receiver locks [/FONT]
    • Receiver Hitch Lock; Fits Both 5/8" (16mm) & 1/2" (13mm) diameter receiver holes

1480dat_wkeys.jpg

9. Jul 22, 2008 at 4:01 AM
    Angus_NB

Angus_NB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverview, NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tundra DC SR5 4x4
    Is it lighter inside the truck than it is in the hitch receiver? :confused:

10. Jul 22, 2008 at 4:58 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    No....But it won't rattle and you'll have 15 bucks to buy a lil more gas....Doesn't help if he uses a custom light bar tho.

11. Jul 22, 2008 at 5:26 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I've always used black fabric tape (like hockey stick tape) around the ballmount & have no rattle. Never knew they sold such a device. Nice find.

12. Jul 22, 2008 at 5:34 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    [​IMG]

I have used this on 2 different trucks and it does not rattle and more importantly does not allow the "shock" of the trailer to affect the drivetrain. I currently have this on my taco and pull a 3500lb boat, 4500lb wood trailer, snowmobiles, etc ...and the shock force of the load when you make a fast stop and go, hit a good size bump in the road is not felt in the truck at all! $54 bucks at Cabelas or a 4*4 truck store near you. Many guys will say that towing has decreased the life of their trucks and this is one of those items that will pay for itself in the long run with less wear and tear on u joints, rearends, and trannies.

13. Jul 22, 2008 at 8:26 AM
    ricepow

ricepow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport

Now that looks interesting. Might have to check into one of those.

Products Discussed in

To Top