1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts about Retiring

Discussion in 'Military' started by cakmakli, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Oct 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli [OP] Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    As of today I have 60 and a wake-up until I start my terminal leave. My actual retirement date is April 1 (yea I know...April Fools Day).

When I first went in the Army in 1984 (for what I thought would only be three years) I would look at my Platoon Sergeant and ask myself, how can anyone do this for 20 or more years. Now I am that old guy that the younger Soldiers are looking at and asking themselves the same thing.

Anyway, I thought I would feel different as I got closer but it is kinda strange. Somedays I'm upbeat and can't wait and other days it is almost depressing to think my days in uniform are numbered. I'm not sure how I will feel when I wake up on April 1st and it is over. I think it is going to hit me pretty hard.

I know there are quite a few retired men and women on here. How did you feel and how did you deal with it? What was the biggest adjustment?
    I'm just curious if it is just me or does everyone feel the same?

2. Oct 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    I dunno, I have 11 months until I retire....I can't wait

3. Oct 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    cakmakli

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Wait until you get closer...

The best part is almost every week someone is throwing me a retirement party. Free beer is always good :)

4. Oct 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Well, I didn't retire... but I served... Biggest thing I'd say is save some loot (just in case). And congrats on your retirement! :)

5. Oct 30, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    My dad took it really hard at first when he retired after 20. He would sweep the garage, change oil on the cars, do stuff around the house. Then he caught himself painting the a/c units and the mailbox and told himself he needed a new hobby. So he partnered with a friend and started up some restaurants then sold his share after it took off. Then bought an rv and some cars to restore. It'll work out. Find something your interested in doing that you haven't yet done.

6. Oct 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    HOORAY FREE BEER.

Sorry...That part caught my eye. I've still got a while before I can think about it- I'm sure it'll take you some getting used to- but you've earned it old man....Enjoy it!!

7. Oct 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Well Ill tell you this my dad was drafted at 18 and he is 63 now and just retired from the army a few months ago and now he has since gone back to work because he could not stand to be home all the time.

8. Oct 30, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    Yea.. Well Start the Countdown

I got
    15 Years-9 Months-23 Days till Retirement (5776 Days)
    *5 Years-9Months-23 Days on this Enlistment.

9. Oct 30, 2009 at 4:05 PM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    Well, I didn't retire from the military, but I retired after 34 years of PA State service (it can be like being in the military at times!). I was lucky because if you work in the Dept. of Corrections you can retire at age 50. I didn't retire right away but then my Dad got ill and I retired to spend more time with him.
    I can honestly say I don't miss the stress and grind of the job for one minute. I have several friends I still keep in touch with and every time they start talking about policy changes, administration changes, etc. I can feel my blood pressure go up! I 'm really glad I got out when I did.
    I am taking college courses. I received my Associates Degree in Social Science in May 2008 and am currently working on my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice. Maybe some day I'll be able to find a job that blends those two interests. If not, I still have the knowledge.
    I enjoy being able to spend more time doing things I like to do like bike riding, kayaking, going on vacations, etc without having to cram it all into my two days off.
    Sure, it will be strange at first, but hopefully you'll get into a whole new routine and enjoy it. Good luck to you and thanks for your many years of service. :proposetoast:

10. Oct 30, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Still miss the Air Force and sometimes I wish I could go back. However, after retirement, I went back to college and got a Bachelor of Science degree in Secondary Education as a science teacher. I have since gotten an endorsement to teach computer applications. I would suggest you get in touch with the Troops-to_Teachers organization. They will help pay for classes for you to become a certified teacher in whatever state you desire to teach in, if that's for you. Many schools in the U.S. are looking for qualified teachers, and as a retired military member, your contributions to future students is invaluable. The pay's not that great, but you can make a solid living with that and your retirement.

11. Oct 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    I start my terminal in Mar 2010, I go back and forth all the time every day it seems like.

12. Oct 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I've been unemployed for 2 months so far. Its driving me crazy. The house is squeaky-clean and the cars have 2-3 coats of wax on them. But if I were retired and had a steady retirement income, I'd probably buy a few old cars to restore and do a lot of traveling across the country.

13. Oct 30, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    I would like to stay in construction but Im open to most anything. It really is nice not to have to worry with a check coming in every month. All the people who told me I was crazy for joining 20+ years ago cant believe the deal I got now. I try and tell some of the young guys its not a bad deal. One day they will know. Save some cash up, keep your bills low and have a blast when you retire.

14. Oct 31, 2009 at 4:09 AM
    cakmakli

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    It actually not about being bored or anything afterwards. I already have a Federal Job lined up, plus I'm registered for school.

It's just the fact that one day I'll be taking off the uniform for good and I know I"ll miss the camaraderie and the trust you develop with the guys you serve with.

15. Oct 31, 2009 at 4:59 AM
    Menametony

Menametony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC Offroad
    Flow Master 40 Series, TRD CAI, Kings 2.5 remote res front and back, All Pro Front bumper, All Pro Skid Plate, PIAA 4" 510 XT SMR, TC UCA's, 265/75/16 WildPeak AT3 on ATX Artillery, LightForce 240 Blitz HID's, WeatherTech Vents and FloorMats, Cobra 19 CB & PA, Maglite mod both driver and passenger, safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, warn 10k winch, PRINSU CabRack, Cali Raised 42" Light Bar, OEM bed mat, softtopper. WeatherTech Mudflaps On order dissent bed rack and retrofits.
    yeah the camaraderie is fun.... best wishes for you when you do retire.. my mail man retired from the air force... and now he's making 90k a year.. just from retirement and being a mail man...

im not sure if im gonna do 20 yet.. im almost there.. well not really only been in for about 4 years..but my enlistment term is 8... ill find out when the date gets closer and if the reenlisting bonus is good

16. Oct 31, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    yes I will agree I miss the cameraderie!
    Its great that you have a job lined up, that so helps with the transition imo, plus 2 retirements if you want. Who can say that today?

I spent a couple of years trying to figure out what I wanted to do, travelling etc which was great experience but everybody else our age is working & can't drop at a hat go on a trip or skiing :laugh:

I tried a few regular jobs but working in the civilian sector is different. I found quick that I could not work in an office full of women (dr office):rolleyes: & the most fulfilling job was teaching computers to physically/mentally challenged kids & adults but with the economy, the $$ dried up. I volunteered doing the same thing at a senior center. Those folks want to learn how to social network at 70!! :D

Finally out of the blue I got a call from an old acquaintance who knew my skills & background & he hired me a fed backfill on a military base for Guard troops being deployed so I am back around soldiers. I like it a lot!! :woot:

What's your job/school plans going to be? Congrats on the upcoming retirement!

17. Oct 31, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    Proz

Proz Member

Member:
    Huntsville Al
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Pre-runner
    I'm getting ready to retire at the end of this month and while I was eagerly looking forward to it I'm more apprehensive then ever. I currently have 95 different job applications out on the market and have been looking for work for the past 8 months and am finding it harder then ever in this market.It kinda hard to compete with people that have been working on helicopters since 1963...hell I wasn't born until 1969!

18. Nov 2, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    6L PSD

6L PSD Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCSB OR TXP
    Fogs anytime, locker anytime, Moose lights (Lightforce), Randy Ellis Design light bar
    Congrats on your upcoming retirement! I let it go after 21 years, 2 months, 8 days. I prepped for it by chasing a degree before I got out, but still retired a year early under the Force Shaping program in 07. I went back out to the base as a civil servant...not my first choice, but I'm getting used to it. I played with planes and avionics, but now am in civil engineering. I got here the hard way, not because of who I knew. Let me just say that I am much more relaxed, tolerant, and happy. It is a change, but you're no longer "under the gun", and it is a great feeling. You have the tools and experience my friend...you'll do well!

19. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    Jim&Tammy

Jim&Tammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco DBL Cab TRD
    Well, I have six years left but am doing my instructor time time here at Bragg and work with GS and contractors that I have served with in the past on teams and a few SGM's that I knew before hand. For them they like it because we are still broken down as a team and they are still working with and teaching Team guys. Just making more money now...lol. Look forward to that six figure income with the right skill set.

20. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    jrw1965

jrw1965 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Southern Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '08 dbl cab long bed 4 x 4
    Front tint, Stainless steel nerf bars, Leer tonneau, Rear spring TSB, Michelin LTX A/T2 265 70 16, Pioneer AVIC X910 so far
    I've been retired for just over 4 years now. I stuck with Aircraft maintenance and at first it was hard. Its everyone for themselves now. (Not one big team anymore) It takes some getting used to, no uniforms, no role call, no more exercise natzi (Hell I kept 4 sets of BDU's hanging in my closet for 2 years) Its laid back compaired to what military people are used to, and it takes a while to get used to that. But, I believe anyone that has the disipline and drive to put in 20 will do well in civilian life too. Congrats on your retirement, enjoy your terminal, And get started on your next career.

Products Discussed in

To Top