1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on OME leaf spring kit

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SLOH, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    SLOH

SLOH [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, dc long bed speedway blue
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 13.5'' JL Sub (13TW5v2-2) and 500w Rockford Fosgate amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    i don't have tsb, just OME N182s in back and i'm looking to get a new leaf pack, anyone used these before? This is the first time i've actually seen them available, are they new?
    Thoughts, comments...

2. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    They aren't new at all. Folks have been real happy with them- They provide capacity nearly the same/the same as stock (there is not a number to go with it that Ihave heard) and allow for better offroad articulation.

If you are looking to replace and lift....Go for it!!

3. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    SLOH

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 13.5'' JL Sub (13TW5v2-2) and 500w Rockford Fosgate amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    well i already have the ome lift, 3" in front and 2" block in back with OME N140s in front and then like i already said OME N182s in back without the tsb and with the block and no tsb my back bottoms out pretty hard when off roading and even on streets with bikes in back, i'm not too concerned about the roughness on the road, so im not looking for springs for towing/hauling stuff so much as i want better off road performance, i can't find anything on the spring rate for them though...i don't want something thats going to give me stock performance i want better off road performance...i thought most of the leaf kits had better spring rates than stock ones

and you think having the back 1/2" higher is going to be noticeable, its level right now

4. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You WILL get better offroad performance out of the Dakar packs. You won't have the bottoming out problem...and you can get rid of those blocks. You'll probably notice the 1/2 inch....Question is...do YOU care??

5. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    SLOH

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    haha yes i do care, i really like how my truck looks right now and i've been having trouble finding a 2" leaf pack, they're all 1.5 or 2.5 for the most part and i don't want a 1.5 cause i feel it won't be better off road performance than what i have right now

6. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    ive only heard good things about these. If you dont want to spend that much you can check out Wheelersoffroad.com they have a 3 leaf pack that will replace your overload leaf. they will givce you reduced payload but will give you a better ride offroad.
    Icon also makes a set.

7. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    SLOH

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    yeah, well my price range is up to 800 but i wouldn't go higher right now

8. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    SLOH

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    would the Icon Rear Reservoir Shocks be way better than my N182 shocks, i don't really understand how reservoir shocks work but i know better off roading shocks have them like king and what not

9. Oct 1, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    If you are looking for strictly off road performance and are not too worried about load capacity go with alcan/deaver, or the all-pro leaf pack and a good pair of shocks. King, Fox, Icon and SAW all make good rear shocks that are geared toward high speed off road performance. being able to have custom valving and a fully rebuildable shock is also very nice. You could top it all off with a pair of Timbren bump stops. They will soak up hard hits better and allow you to haul a fair amount of weight even with the softer leaf packs.

10. Oct 2, 2009 at 4:33 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Those three leaf packs that Keason meantion fit with the overload leaf too...Adds a little more height.

The reservoir shocks have "extra" oil outside the shock body that can be forced into shock or removed from the shock to stiffen or soften the ride based on what the user dials in...

11. Jan 31, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    taco_man

taco_man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    09 texas edition
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, Full sound system
    on the dakars where would u put the aal in on them? and would u use a lifting aal or just a normal one?

12. Jan 31, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  13. Jan 31, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    nuckinfuts

nuckinfuts NyQuil on the rocks.

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    Sounds like you're hauling toys every now and again, you should get the OME Dakars. They handle the weight really well and are still solid offroad. They pair well with the N182's; stiffer spring and softer shock. I drove around with the stock pack and the N182's for a while and it's a terrible combo of shitty leaf pack and soft shock, lots of bottoming out. Once I got the Dakars on there I'm happy as hell! You can also add or remove a leaf to get the height/ride you're looking for.

14. Jan 31, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I say get either the OME's or the AP leafs, AP is 3" though so that will be 1" higher which you sound like you dont like. Mine sits 1/2" higher in the rear but I actually like it. Not super noticeable. I get compliments all the time on my stance.

15. Feb 9, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    BUB_IROC_Z

BUB_IROC_Z Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    North Eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 4.0 Taco
    3 inch OME, Rear diff breather mod, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge and custom gauge pod, Yellow Wire Mod, Avid Off-road bar, Bud built Skid Plates,
    I just put the OME Leafs spring on my Tacoma. It rides a hell of a lot better then when I had a 2.5 inch block under the rear leafs.

16. Feb 9, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    valleythunder

valleythunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dahlgren, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC/LB

Do you do much heavy towing? If so, or like me, you are also putting a rear bumper with carrier, etc. Get the Dakars and the XL leaf. It is stiff, (unloaded) but right now I'm at 3.5" of lift and no vibs.... Yes I'm in a LB as well! Rob

Products Discussed in

To Top