1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on this amp(also buying used question)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by double_b, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mar 29, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    double_b

double_b [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Red Lion, PA
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCab Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I have already bought the HU, speakers and amp I was going to install. Now as I get closer to installing I am concerned the KTP-445 powerpack won't be enough. It may be I don't know. Maybe I just need to stop reading the internet. haha...but I also don't want to install somethign and not be happy. Again, maybe I would be happy though.

Anyhow....so looking at amps it makes sense to get something more than the 45RMS of the KTP-445....the speakers are the Alpine SPR-17S rated at 110 max RMS.

But I also want to stay around $200....I see this amp on CF for 249 and half off a wiring kit....but 70RMS for 250 is about the best I found.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136JX3604/JL-Audio-JX360-4.html?c=3&tp=35782&avf=N

Also I have been looking locally on Craigslsist and wonder what you guys think of buying off CL? I know all about the scams and have bought and sold quite a bit on CL...but not car audio. There is an Alpine PDX-4 with wring kit near me for $300....I was thinking of offering 250....it said was used less than a year. Any experiences with buying used? Really bad idea? What would I look for as far as knowing if it is damaeged?

Thanks for any comments

2. Mar 29, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    More power is almost always a good thing, but is not always needed. With that said, I would consider your actual needs - are you trying to improve the sound, or get loud?

The volume difference when doubling the power is only 3db - not a huge deal. Were it me, I would take the extra cash and spend it on better components, or split the difference and get something like this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22382_Pioneer-GM-D9500F.html

with these:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12224_Pioneer-TS-D1720C.html

I have had no real issues buying used, but I test things first if local, and deal with people I trust otherwise. Forums where I frequent (such as DIYMA, and a few others) let me know better who I want to buy from.

With that said - you already have some stuff. Unless you can return it for a full refund, why bother - Plus, you will probably be happy with it. If you decide you want to upgrade in the future, you can. If you are happy with it, then rock it.

I can make tons of recommendations, find lots of deals, especially on used gear, but only you can decide if that is the route you wish to go.

Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top