1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Kansaztec, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Aug 27, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    The hitch is reversible, drop or rise, will work fine either way, won't shear if it's rated for X amount of weight. But, appears you would need 4" more of rise hitch to get the front stabilizer jacks over a speed bump. This guy did a bed gooseneck with a Scamp https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/modified-gooseneck-19-scamp.223474/

There's plenty of non-Scamp 19' travel trailers that are bumper hitch. I still need a 4" rise hitch for my lifted Winnebago 1706fb.

2. Aug 30, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    Kansaztec

Kansaztec [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 Quicksand Sport
    HID/LED
    Damn, thats dope there Monk. I am going to have to reconsider. I plead the fifth.

monkeyface and Running Board Man like this.
  3. Sep 4, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    huachuca

huachuca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD DC w/TRD offroad
    Kansaztec, I'm the guy Monk was kind enough to reference. To clear up a couple of things - the hitch on the camper you referenced appears to be completely stock from what I can see. Scamp has been using essentially this same setup for nearly forty years. It ain't a true fifth wheel or a gooseneck or a bumper pull but 'fiver' or 'fifth wheel' seems to be the accepted designation by most of us in the molded fiberglass rv community. The odd thing is the elevated ball hitch on the truck - I guess it would be structurally sound but the front of the trailer is too low for my taste and I'd think there would be clearance issues.

The only questionable things I noticed are what appears to be just a single front landing leg deployed in any of the pictures showing that angle. There should be two, one from each of the vertical supports on the outside of the propane tanks and the door may have been replaced as it looks to be a bit 'brighter' than the hull.

Your stats on tongue weight, brakes and gross weight are within reason. Mine is a little heavier at 450 on the hitch and 3300 gross but we've accumulated a lot of 'stuff' over the years.

The price is actually a little low if everything checks out as molded fiberglass trailers hold their value much better than stick builts. The wood cabinetry and trim indicates this is the deluxe mode. Its also a side bath configuration which is generally considered more desirable as it makes the loft bunk feel more open. Personally, I prefer the front bath floor plan because the john/shower has more headroom and is slightly larger (I'm 6'4" and on the wrong side of 250).

Things to check - Crawl under the trailer with an ice pick. Tap around with your knuckles to check the integrity of the floor. If a soft spot is suspected, confirm it with a probe from the ice pick. A small section of floor rot isn't too costly to repair for someone with medium skills and isn't a deal killer but can be time consuming. A/C should cool entire trailer in fifteen minutes or less. Check the heat strips in the unit if so equipped. Hot water heater should light easily and make sure both hot and cold flow to the sinks bath with no leaks. Run water into the john and the sinks and check for leaks in the tanks and drain systems. The water pump should pressurize when faucets are open and shut off when there is no demand. Check propane heater; it should fire and the fan should run smoothly although probably louder than you might expect. Fridge should cool on both propane and 110. Make sure it will freeze ice. Its the most costly appliance to replace. All interior lights should be checked. Test brakes if possible and confirm operation of signal/brake and side marker lights. Frame problems on these are rare but check to make sure any corrosion is surface rust only. These use a torsion axle which usually last 15-20 years. Probably missed some things but these should get you started.

Best classifieds website for these is https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/scamp-trailers-for-sale Note how old some of the trailers are. This is a good source of info from owners and prospective owners but watch your manners http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM.

Al

Edit to add - Check the awning. This looks to be a Dometic Catalina which is no longer produced. Its a good awning and I had one but couldn't find replacement parts easily so I finally swapped it for a Fiamma which we like much better.

Second edit - The Scamp 19 and Tacoma are a great combo. The hitch ball is an inch or two behind the axle on my 12 TRD/OR DC and I have no clearance issues with the cab or bumper in a 90*+ turn.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    vssman likes this.
  4. Oct 14, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    Kansaztec

Kansaztec [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 Quicksand Sport
    HID/LED
    Thanks for the info Huachuca, "Mountains with Water". Unfortunately had to pass on the fifth wheel deal. I am sure that another good deal on one will pop up. Especially appreciate what to look for when scoping one out.

Products Discussed in

To Top