1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

throttle stop screw

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Aldo ct, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Feb 28, 2015 at 4:55 PM
    Aldo ct

Aldo ct [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    central California
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma 2rz
    LC header, prerunner/4x4 front end, hellwig rear sway bar/beefed brackets, instrument cluster w/tachometer, 60/40 bench seat, solid sideview mirrors, slider rear window, rearview mirror w/map lights, 27x8.50r14 tires
    Well, I am back to update this damn missing coolant. I took the Tacoma back to the shop a third and final time before their labor warranty ran out. They claimed the engine held pressure and found no leaks. I have recently put in a coolant dye, but haven't seen any dye on the exterior of the engine with the uv light. The dye is my last option.

I am just going to keep driving it as I have during the past year. I am still having to refill my overflow tank every two weeks because the level goes consistently down and never refills. There is no coolant in the engine oil or white smoke. The mystery continues....:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. Feb 28, 2015 at 7:09 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    You might try NOT adding coolant to the overflow tank and just watch your coolant level CAREFULLY thru the radiator neck,,just as a test. Bleed the pressure off slowly,,so it doesn't burp into the tank when hot and checking.

You know about how many days you can go before coolant is needed, so just use that as your basic guide. If it makes you feel more comfortable after all that work and money,,check the radiator level every day and see where it's at.

You get some boil/steam off as one drives,,but it shouldn't be taking on that much coolant at all unless the motor is suffering the system.

1/2 tank every 2 weeks is more than I take on in a year,,several years in fact.

Keep a hawk eye on the gauge and give it a shot.

3. Feb 28, 2015 at 7:37 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6

yep, you might just have a leak in the overflow tank, do you park where you can see if something drips?

Products Discussed in

To Top