1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throwout bearing again!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by P. Bauer, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Sep 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    Got mine fixed today under warranty with no hassle...they replaced the TOB, but not the pilot shaft, so we'll see how long it lasts. Got it done just after 53k miles

2. Sep 13, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    MRCapps

MRCapps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    is there anything to do to prevent this??? I really want a manual but this seems pretty common and I am not sure if its worth it!!!

3. Sep 13, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Wish there was a way.

Mine is coming back. there is also a burnt clutch smell from time to time.

Will be putting in an aftermarket clutch in the future, but looking to replace Input shaft, and add an improved TO Bearing also.

Tell you what, even with this issue, I still love my 6Spd Manual. No regrets:D

4. Sep 13, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    MRCapps

MRCapps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Do you know of a way to change the 6th gear out for a longer one? I doubt anyone ever uses 6th for antying but highway driving and the bigger size would provide better MPGs on the highway. or would you have to change out the whole tranny?:confused:

5. Sep 20, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    jokoo14

jokoo14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Canton, OH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 2.7l 5 speed
    I have a 08 5 speed 2.7l taco with 21000 mi on it and I am having a similar issue. I am hearing a chirping when the a/c is on as well and will go away when the clutch is pressed in. As of recently I had to pull my father in laws lawnmower out of the ditch (idiot!) and when I was attempting to tow him out the clutch started smoking bad! I did get him pulled out, but now my clutch is skippin going into 1st and 2nd. When i took i to toyota they just said i was rough on it and the clutch is burned out. Would the chirping have anything to do with having nearly no towing power and in turn burning up the clutch? And would smoking a clutch once ruin the clutch plate?

6. Sep 20, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    mick6

mick6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD DC Sport
    None....Yet
    They show a commercial with the truck falling down a cliff to show how tough it is....then blame it on the way you drive......assholes! I also have a F-250 Turbo Diesel and the oil pans rust out, gotta jack the motor out to change it, dealer blamed it on salt from winter ......that one is the best I ever heard. I told him they should only sell them in Florida!

7. Oct 5, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
    My 2007 4.0L 6spd has it to and I am going back for the 4th Time. They already replaced the cluth pack once and anothet time just the T.O. bearing. FJ cruisers are having the same issue. One guy got a new Bell Housing and some other parts. I am ready to claim lemon law and buy an Auto or find a nice 06 Tundra since everything toyota makes lately is junk. The new Tundras have issues to.

8. Oct 5, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.

Mileage?

9. Oct 5, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
    42K miles. I also have the extended warranty. I'm sure I could claim Lemon Law due to the fact that it started early and has never been fixed. I pretty sure its an issue with the bell housing or linkage/fork.
    The dealer is calling his Toyota Rep. this can't be the first time he's heard of this. Just google Toyota throw out bearing noise and see all the stuff that comes up. It would be a bigger issue if more people purchased sticks. Most truck sold are auto. I bet 75 or so of the manulals made have this issue. My question is what about the 08-10 models? Do they have teh smae tranny issues since there is no TSB? then that means they must have the same cruddy tranny.

10. Oct 5, 2009 at 12:39 PM
    FoxRacR17

FoxRacR17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5 DoubleCab Short Bed
    Fox 2.5 C/O's, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, toytec 1.5" AAL, TC UCA's, blue/white dashboard lights, seatbelt chime removed, Synthetic leather armrests, WO seat covers front and back, Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 285/70/17, KMC XD Addict 17x9 rims
    I have an 09 4x4 DC 6speed. Got it about 5 months ago brand new. I already have just over 10k on it, and so far I have been very lucky, Have not heard any noise coming from the tranny yet. Will post back if something shows up though :/

11. Oct 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
    If you here any noise at all from the tranny when the clutch pedal is relased, then you have an issue. Listen carefully. I always had this slight whine/grr sound and they said it was "normal" but I never had a car that did that and they all have been sticks. 5 in all.

12. Oct 12, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    lilgeneral007

lilgeneral007 Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 6-speed Manual
    OK guys, I'm back. Sorry that I've only been on here when I have issues. Toyota of Cleveland did help me out. (refer to my earlier threads #90 & #94). Agreed to split the labor costs - paid $105.62 out of my pocket. They replaced (per invoice) the clutch cover assembly, clutch cover subassembly, clutch bearing assembly, clutch disc assembly, and a COMB: RAD B-BRG CLTCH REL (I believe this is the throw-out bearing?). This was in June, 09. Truck has been doing fine since, but I swear I hear a little chirp trying to poke its little annoying head back up. Not 100% sure, around here, if the window is down, there are about a million bugs & birds that all have the exact same pitch as the previous chirp in my truck. I'm starting to notice it when the window is up though. If this does happen again, Toyota should issue a recall. If I don't get any help with this, I will be purchasing a sign to boldly display on the side of my chirping truck that no one should ever purchase a Toyota because of the Tacoma throw-out bearing issues.

13. Oct 13, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
    Mines going in today for the forth or fifth time. They had a "meeting" about it. Lets see what happens.

14. Oct 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
    OK So I got it back 2 1/2 days later. Dealer was real good about it. I didn't have to make too much of a stink about anything. They replaced the whole tranny with a whole new assembly and a whole new clutch. I have not noticed the light chatter that I always had. As far as why I had these issues, they didn't say. Maybe my tranny is going to be taken apart and inspected for flaws. They need to spec the whole thing out against the blueprints and see if they had a production issue. I am happy though that they did replace the whole thing. That is what I wanted. If it happens again I'll try to keep it till the warranty almost runs out, fix it and trade it in on maybe an auto or whole differnet thing all together.

15. Oct 17, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    C5drvr

C5drvr New Member

Member:
  16. Oct 21, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    leo08pirate

leo08pirate Katzo production

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    Oceanside CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner 4.0L
    TRD exaust - Tinted Windows - TRD Intake - Alpine type S speakers
    im going to take my truck in today for the same issue
    its my secound time

and if i have to go back two more times after that im getting myself a new truck
    fuck that

17. Oct 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I just dropped off the Blue Devil at my local dealer this morning. Yup, T/O Bearing noise again. Had it done 10 mos ago, and same shit all over again.

The difference this time is that I will not see my truck for a couple days, I asked my service rep why, and he stated:

All the 6spd Transmissions brought in for this issue are being automatically replaced. He stated the last time I brought it in; there was not enough info or evidence calling for a full transmission replacement, but now it's SOP.

Do not have a TSB, but if you are having T/O Bearing issues I'd head to your local dealer and hit up your service Tech. They said that the 5spd manual's are being replaced also on case by case basis upon inspection.

Cant wait. Now when I install my Stage III Clutch next summer, it will be on a Brand new trans...:D

18. Oct 23, 2009 at 11:00 PM
    leo08pirate

leo08pirate Katzo production

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    Oceanside CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner 4.0L
    TRD exaust - Tinted Windows - TRD Intake - Alpine type S speakers
    so i got my truck back from toyota and this is my secound time going and this is what i got

Disc Assy, Clutch
    Cover Assy, Clutch
    bearing Assy, Clutch
    and a complimentary wash jajaja

19. Oct 26, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
    They gave you a new clucth pack basically.

I had gotten one of theose then another bearing beofe they changed the tranny. So the noise will probably be back in 10-15K. I think they're staring to realize its the housing or something else by the post above.

20. Oct 27, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    New Trans is finally in. Had a delay, apperently they ordered wrong trans last week.

I love the feel. Not sure if it's just me, but 1st gear seems to be less restrictive. Before the new trans I could barely stay in 1st without an anoying whine...

Oh well, the chirp is gone, shifts feel clean, plus a lot less chatter in the trans. Not much to tell besides that being that im babying it for the next 500 miles.:D

More importantly I found out that there is a current TSB for the T/O Bearing and Input shaft issue. Do not have the the TSB # but will post up a new update of what I have on my invoice in the 2nd Gen Tacomas section.

Here it is:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/58278-tsb-t-o-bearing-issue.html#post1066397

Products Discussed in

To Top