1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tighten your throttle cable

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beatle, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Feb 11, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    beatle

beatle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4l SR5 TRD
    My new-to-me 98 has 151k on the clock and the throttle seemed a little flaccid. I checked the throttle cable and there was a fair amount of slack to it. I'm guessing the throttle cable had never been adjusted. Over time the cable will stretch and the slack will need to be taken out by adjustment.

To adjust the cable with the truck running, turn the nuts on the mount until the slack is gone, then manually open the throttle and let it close on its own. If the truck quickly returns to normal idle, you're done. If it "hangs" at higher revs, back the cable off a bit by turning the nuts back. I found it easiest to loosen both nuts just a touch, and then turn each in the same direction by pushing or pulling your two wrenches (12mm and 14mm depending on the cable) the same direction at the same time. The whole process will only take you a few minutes and is a free "mod" to improve your throttle response. My truck already feels livelier.

2. Apr 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    s1deout

s1deout Active Member

Member:
    PGH
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma Regular LX, 2.7, 5 Speed
    Thanks for the tip.

If I'm looking at the engine from the front, which direction should the nuts move to lower the idle a bit?

I loosened the nut on the right of the mount so that I could remove the throttle body to clean. After putting everything back together the idle at 1800rpm at start up.

Products Discussed in

To Top