1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Time for new shocks/struts

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Beau02, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Oct 29, 2009 at 3:24 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I'm getting ready to replace the shocks & struts on my truck. The OEM's aren't totally shot - it's getting a little 'pillowy' under normal driving conditions but interstate travel practically makes me seasick!

I moved a few years ago, and since then my poor truck is a highway everyday driver. It almost never sees dirt, mud, snow, etc. I would say probably 99.9% of the miles nowadays are from paved roads .

It was my intention to replace them with Bilstein HD's just as it came from the factory. But, after digging into this forum it seems virtually everyone says to get the 5100's. If nothing else they say the ride is simply better. I have managed to find them just as cheap as the HD's so I'm up for getting them if they're the way to go. Does everyone still recommend the 5100's knowing that it's a highway traveler?

2. Oct 29, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    If you're not off-roading it at all, just stick with the factory shocks. There's no real reason to spend the extra on 5100s if you're not using them. If you get a great price, go for it. You're probably not gonna notice that much of a difference though if you're just street driving. Just don't "downgrade" and buy cheap shocks for your truck.

3. Oct 29, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    mytoy04

mytoy04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Liberty, MO
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner 4cyl 5sp 4x4
    I just put the 5100's on all four corners and am pleased with the ride. I am like you strictly highway driving and my old originals wasn't completely shot but was like you said getting pretty bouncey. I noticed a difference in the side to side stability just like DownSouth said. I did the install by myself except for the compressing of the springs, paid a small local shop $10 to swap them out. I was able to just take off the nuts and bolts directly tied to the shock/spring assembly. I would say go for it.

4. Oct 29, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    Call bilstein and see what they charge to rebuild your shocks.
    last I checked it was $40 each. not 100% sure they can, and your truck will be down a few days, so that might not work.

just an idea.

Products Discussed in

To Top