1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Time to stir up the Oil [plus a stumper of a question]

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kbraunphoto, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Dec 22, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    kbraunphoto

kbraunphoto [OP] mountain bike haulin' & off camping

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '15 Inferno Orange TRD Pro
    Just a few expensive & DIY things...
    Previous was a 2010 TRD and had synthetic oil self installed for miles.. continue reading, it's getting interesting.......

Buy a 2015 TRD PRO, and low and behold the manual says nothing of synthetic for the 2015 for 4L but DOES for the 2.7L.
    *Schedule A[4.0L] non synthetic vs B[2.7L] synthetic maintenance guide

Go ahead, go get your manual.....
    btw my oil cap says 5-w30, what I was used to

Per Toyota:
    What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?
    • Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE and 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)
    • In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated. The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.
    • If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚ F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.
    *The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.

SO, just put in Mobile1 syn @5117 miles and the damn maintenance light wont go away, done this a hundred times... it actually beeps twice as fast at me as normal....

2. Dec 22, 2015 at 1:32 PM
    kbraunphoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:

Yeah that's what I'm used to, done it for years.
    I find it odd, that even with Googling for a while, it's not officially documented or "supported" by Toyota.

That and my damn maintenance light wont go away, that's a new one for me.

3. Dec 22, 2015 at 1:34 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
  4. Dec 22, 2015 at 1:35 PM
    kbraunphoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    nope, ODO as normal... hold reset, turn truck back on.
    What is atypical is the double beep I am now getting, vs the single [key is in engine] beep

edit: ahh, I see the 2011 update tip on Trip A, that's a new one for me... off to go try this now!

5. Dec 22, 2015 at 1:43 PM
    kbraunphoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Gentlemen, I owe each of you a beer...

I'll chalk that one up to Toyota making weird decisions to change what wasn't broken....

6. Dec 22, 2015 at 4:49 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Yup same here. 0w-30 mobile 1 full syn changed every 5ish k miles with filter in my taco (i have let it go to 6500mi once but that was just a lot of highway easy driving).

and yup 0w-30 even in my warm southern california climate... 1. it helps with starts when im in single digit temps up snow skiing in mammoth... but 2. even at 75*f ambient 0w oil is still too thick to properly lube a motor but it gets to operating thickness much quicker than 5w-30 or 10w-30.... and 3. its the same price as the other mobile 1 full syn.

Products Discussed in

To Top