1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

time warner cable vs. directTV

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tacomaman06, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 [OP] Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    anyone got pros and cons for these....both of which i have had neither of. we are about to move into the new house......and are trying to decide whats gonna be better.

2. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    i haaaate my time warner cable..... the menu and everything is sooo slow and it lags a lot

3. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    If you are thinking about getting HD Directv service, the guide/interface is very slow and lag-prone. It works great and looks good, but it's so s l o w...

4. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I love DIRECTV... Customizable fav. menus, lots of channels, cheaper (IMO) than cable.

5. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well....at first, we were thinking of going with direct tv, cause of the special they have, but i have heard from others that have it, about all the hidden fees and bs.

we're kinda looking for something to roll into one.....tv and internet, but depending on how we go, may not be possible.

6. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    adktacoma

adktacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    danny
    upstate new york
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport bsp
    stock (for now)
    i vote for cable,it's rock solid. i'm a retired wow player and don't even think about gankin me with your lousy sat con.

7. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Cable

8. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    We just switched over from Cable to Direct TV, and we love it!
    Our cable boxes kept going out, the screen would get fuzzy a lot and would freeze the program.
    Direct TV is way better, but it is a little slower going through the menu, and some popular stations are not in HD like FOX, ABC, and I think NBC too.
    But there are way more advantages for getting Direct TV versus some of the negatives.
    They have some cool special channels for sports viewers, and If your into football, baseball, hockey, autoracing, and your a general sports fan, than It's for you.

It also has more special features, and more recording space over the cable box.

9. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Cable, Cable, Cable...DTV if anything goes wrong it is $80 to have them come fix it...TW if anything ever goes wrong they come fix it for free. Basically the same channels. TW has caught way up on the HD channels...the ones it doesn't have nobody watched anyway. The picture on TimeWarner I have no complaints with...I do think the audio on DTV is a little better though. I dumped DTV 6 months ago...even paid $250 to get out of my contract. That is how much I hated it...

10. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    Fish Taco

Fish Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    wilmington nc
    Vehicle:
    99 3.4l v6 sr5 4x4
    switched from time warner to direct, and big mistake! In Wilmington nc none of the local channels are in HD, so that means no superbowl,world series, ncaa final 4 in HD! Of the 9000 channels i might watch 50, and if there is any storm clouds to the south then you might as well turn off the tv and listen to the radio. that kinda sucks living on the coast, if a hurricane comes thats no tv for a few days! GO CABLE, i miss mine!

11. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    we are pretty much leaning towards tw cable..........the input is good from ya'll tho. appreciate it.

12. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    I'm not sure if it's different by region, but TW here the HD channels are free with the digital cable packages aka. you do'nt have to pay so much per month for an HD package.

Also, cable internet pwns

13. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Direct TV has tons of cool features. The picture quality is great IMO. If anything I would tell you to go AT&T they are he only ones with anything better. Also as far as signal we never lost TV until the power went out during Ike, and that was on the back half of the storm.

14. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    DTacoms

DTacoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    If you want to bundle TV, internet and phone, go with cable. Also, depending on where you are, you'll get more TV channels than direct TV at the same price.

And oh, during bad weather, direct broadcast TV sucks.

15. Oct 30, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    TRY THIS FIRST:

Get yourself a cheap antenna. Either grab the one off of grandma's old TV or get some cheap thing from the store. Plug it in, voilà, instant HD channels with surround sound.
    I'm not a big TV watcher, but I still need to get news and a fair amount of channels. I went to Sears, bought the cheapest thing they had ($15) and plugged it into my LCD TV. I now have 25-odd channels at absolutely no cost. I still have cable internet, but I've dropped my monthly bill in half.

Use this site to determine which antenna works best for you: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

If you are interested in internet speed, FiOS can't be beat. I had it for one year and felt like I had just robbed internet from some corporate network. Most of the apartment complexes around here had to make a mad scramble to get their units wired because they were losing too many people who had this as a move-in requirement.

DirectTV is a pretty shady business. Expect vast contract changes, constant fluctuating fees, hidden costs, etc. Try calling them to sort things out and they can't even keep it straight.

cable is pretty much safe and straightforward.

16. Oct 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    You should get DISH Network

17. Oct 30, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    DirectTV all the way.....

Compare the pricing with your cable provider. Our cable company (comcast) kept raising our rates but not getting anything for it. The DirectTV was cheaper than comcast for similar coverage but the DiretTV, you get far more HD channels, & other specialty channels that you don't get on cable.

We've had DirectTV for years. At first, the HD DVR box kept over heating and locking up. But since (last year?) they finally designed the box better and they sent us a new box. It's been fine ever since. Absolutely love it!!

Cable had been pissing us off for years....never go back.

18. Oct 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    I have DTV and at first it was HORROR. Ordered the HD and DVR, but I wanted Picture in picture on my big screen. They said no problem, we will jsut do 2 receivers. So installer gets there and asks why the extra receiver, so I tell him, and he chuckles and tells me that they all use the same remote, so 2 receiver will not work.

So they hook up the HD receiver, and it SUCKED. Picture kept sketching, freezing, and only when it was an HD channel. Called service (BTW, I have a protection package, so the service calls were no charge). They swapped boxes. No go. Thy swapped the dish out. No go. Swapped LNB's. No go. I finally, after two months asked to just cancel. Sure, for $800.00. I spoke with managers, supervisors, tech supervisors, none of them could figure it out, but I could NOT cancel. Explained to them that they have not met their SLA. None of them would tell me what the SLA said, nor is it on ANY paperwork or website. After about 20 different phone calls, one manager told me the SLA was that all they had to do is provide a signal to the house, and they have met that. WTF????

FINALLY talked to a local DTV Employee Tech, not a contractor. He came out and went over and replaced EVERY connection point. Fixed. Just a simple crimp on connector.

8 different service calls. One connector.

That being said, I do like the service versus comcast cable. I agree about the hidden fees and whatnot. Know going in that you are signing a 2 year agreement, and if you upgrade a box, BAM, 2 more years. Change service or move, 2 more years. Anything anybody quotes or tells you on phone, get in writing. Go over some of the forums for DTV, and see what people are saying.

Good Luck!

James

19. Oct 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    The only thing I like about Time Warner is the On Demand options. Watching movies when you want, pause, rewind. That sort of thing. Other than that... Dunno? My dad has Direct Tv and it seems better overall. Best of luck!!

20. Dec 3, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i know this is an old thread....but when we moved into the house...decided to keep cable. well...since they were having awesome deals everywhere last weekend...we ended up with a 40 inch samsung lcd hd flat screen....and direct tv was having some specials...so they'll be here monday to install the satellite!!!:D:D

Products Discussed in

To Top