1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips to not be “that guy”

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Pj Benn, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Nov 15, 2020 at 9:07 PM
    Pj Benn

Pj Benn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner
    I’m really new to the whole off road thing. I’m getting more confident in what I can clear but still have little to no experience in mud and sand. Was hoping to get some tips during a meet up but who knows when this pandemic gonna end.

sampled some sand today. Heard in the past to take momentum into it and carry that momentum. Either follow the old tracks or make your own. Is this solid advice?

There were some guys ripping it but that was away from everyone else. When one guy drove near a family in his stock looking non trd 4x4 tacoma (street tires) he slowly crept by and then only started giving um when he was farther away. Sand looked similar in both spots. When I was leaving I went through some soft stuff. I passed near someone walking back to their car and I felt like I should have slowly crept by too instead of how I was driving.

I don’t want to be that guy driving kinda fast near people but I no like be that guy who gets stuck while I’m out by myself either.

please share all your tips and tricks and let me know any etiquette type things I should know when on a beach with other trucks and people out.

2. Nov 15, 2020 at 9:25 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    * Always wheel with another vehicle.
    * Carry a shovel.
    * Air down. You can go way at lower than you think you can and it works miracles for tracton on rocks or sand. Its magic for washboard roads too. And your be surprised how many terrible stucks can be solved with just some shovel work and airing down.
    * Carry a compressor and a pressure gauge so you can air back up.
    * Carry good leather gloves.
    * Carry a tire plug kit and Colby emergency valve.
    * Carry a spare
    * Have real recovery points front and rear.
    * Carry your own shackles (soft preferred but steel bow works too) and kinetic rope.
    * Carry a basic tool set.
    * Keep your sense of humor even if you bend or break something.
    * Be courteous to other users especially hikers and horsemen.
    * Tread lightly. Stay on trails. Period.

Do all that and you will never be that guy. Its just driving afterall so the technical driving stuff will come with just a little experience.

3. Jan 12, 2021 at 12:37 PM
    Lava-road

Lava-road Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Hard top camper...many more to add+
    The above have super great advice...air down , carry air compressor, ..just wanted to add ...wet the sand, pack it down, dig sand as flat as possible in the directions you are going in front of the wheels ...if you have NO traction mats or boards..? You can try adding you floor mats...?
    If No LSD’s or lockers? ...try putting on the parking brakes to make both tires spin the same time..Not locking ..just enough...to make both tires spin...till you clear..
    When you feel struck ..never over gas STOP....or you will dig yourself deeper..you do not want to bury to frame...Seen this happen before..making more difficult...
    Car insurance...pay the extra few dollars for tow services..( check to see if they cover this..struck in sand? )
    0ff road towing expect a few hundred dollars?
    Broke a front drive shaft and puncture a gas tank once ..lucky to have friends tow you to main Hwy..tow charges were cover.by car insurance to home..
    Trucks with Crawl control features...helps a lot, plus having friends that can tow you out of trouble...!

If in doubt? Let the other guys go first...lol
    Aloha,

4. Jan 12, 2021 at 12:41 PM
    AMC-FF17319

AMC-FF17319 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Gray, ME
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD OR Access cab
    OME 2", Victory 4x4 all over, 5.29 gears, SPC UCA
    Don't shy away from spending some time on Facebook trying the waters at finding a good offroad club as well. A supportive fun group of people as a world of difference, even if it's not just a yota group, my OR club the jeeps outnumber the trucks easily but we're all in it for a good, safe time.

McDudesYota likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top