1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Chains/Cables

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Trever1t, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Dec 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    Trever1t

Trever1t [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA.
    Vehicle:
    '06 Basic Tacoma
    I need some traction aid for travel to Reno (required by law) for Christmas and know nothing about them. How do i find the right size and where's the cheapest place to get them quick? :D

2. Dec 14, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    Trever1t

Member:
    Bay Area CA.
    Vehicle:
    '06 Basic Tacoma
    Stockers. 215/70-15
    Walmart, cool.

3. Dec 14, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    a lot of the chain laws are for commercial vehicles only. Thats the case here in CO at least.

4. Dec 14, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    Trever1t

Member:
    Bay Area CA.
    Vehicle:
    '06 Basic Tacoma
    not here, although you most definitely have bigger hills there...here it's all vehicles, 4x4 exempt.

5. Dec 14, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Go to Les Scwab. They have the easiest chains to put on.

6. Dec 14, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    Craigslist.com

7. Dec 14, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Google tire chains. Most stores have info on what you'll need. Rear chains only. Practice putting them on before you need them. Don't buy cables, they are worthless. Diamond pattern links are good.
    Get some canvas the legnth of the chains and roll them up when not in use. It keeps them from getting tangled.
    Good luck, and go sloooow. A loose/broken chain will do big damage.

8. Dec 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    Trever1t

Member:
    Bay Area CA.
    Vehicle:
    '06 Basic Tacoma
    4 sets? You mean 2 sets for all 4 tires?

9. Dec 14, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    Good luck fitting chains on the front of the 2nd gen Tacoma. I think according to the owners manual they can only be put on the back tires. OP...have you concidered traction tires? Chances are you'll never need to use the chains unless they're required by law.

10. Dec 14, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    Trever1t

Member:
    Bay Area CA.
    Vehicle:
    '06 Basic Tacoma
    Yeah, it's unlikely I'll have to put them on, but it's a possibility. The pass over to Nevada does get some nasty weather and when it does they close the road unless you have chains or 4x4.

Traction tires?

11. Dec 14, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    Gatorstaco

Gatorstaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaetan ( Gator)
    ontario
    Vehicle:
    14 X-Runner
    AFE Cold air, Magnaflow exhaust, all AMS oil, tonneau cover, and Cap hitch, extra LED light(back). LED fog lights. Summer wheels Scan gauge II. Sirius radio
  12. Dec 14, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    Maybe REI rents them...

13. Dec 14, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    Trever1t

Member:
    Bay Area CA.
    Vehicle:
    '06 Basic Tacoma
    that's a thought. I should look into that. Thanks.

14. Dec 14, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I have the manual in front of me... Rear chains only. It also cautions against incorrect tire and chain matchup, and that the cross chains should be 6.3mm and the side chains should be 5.0mm

15. Dec 14, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Just go down to Kragen or some auto parts store and buy 'em. You need them in the car whenever you drive to the mountains, so you'll keep 'em for the life of the truck. Write down your tire size before you go in. The box will have a long list of tire sizes that fit - or it'll be in a separate sheet/book next to the display.

Despite what someone said above, cables work great. I've used them on many of my cars. They don't last quite as long, but I've only had one car where I came close to wearing out cables or chains, and I chained that little ford fiesta up for a *lot* of snow trips.

Some cable designs are easier to put on - they disconnect so you can swing them behind the tire, rather than having to lay them out and roll over it.

If you get "real" chains, you'll need to get ahold of a bolt cutter and snip off the extra links that you'll find after your test fitting. Otherwise, that extra few inches of chain will swing around and strike your fenders/body parts. That's double-plus-ungood.

For 4x4 wheelin' in the snow, yes folks do recommend chaining up all four. But for a highway trip, chain up the drive wheels and be done with it. I've never seen a car on the highway chained on all four.

Put them on for the first time in the daylight in front of your house. Way better to learn in daylight in dry conditions than on a snowy dark road feet away from heavy highway traffic. And if there's a fit issue, you'll find out so you can return them right away and get the right size.

You'll want pliers and flat bladed screwdriver handy, and a headlamp style flashlight. If you have to put them on, it's almost guaranteed to be cold and sleeting or snowing. So you'll want to be dressed warmly and have gloves and a waterproof jacket (even better, add waterproof pants) that you don't care if they get wet and filthy muddy.

Put them on tight. Use whatever rubber band or tensioner comes with them. Buy one if the directions tell you to do so. I have used one set of chains that didn't have a rubber tensioner, but they had a little lever on them for extra leverage in tightening. Drive a quarter mile and tighten them again. Tight is right. I suppose it's possible to overdo it if you're a big bulky strong dude, but mostly folks run them too loose rather than too tight.

Drive slow - stick to 25. Traffic may go as high as 30 and it's OK to hang, but once folks start going faster than that, move over to the right and hold it to 30.

16. Dec 15, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    ^ Spot-on with the advice there, Steve. FYI to the OP and others, all vehicles in CA regardless of 2wd or 4wd must carry chains with them during R2 conditions (when chains are required on 2wd vehicles)...yes, even 4x4!

And even cables won't fit with the stock wheels on the front. You'd have to switch to the FJ wheels or something with similar clearance and the correct tire size for them to work in the front.

17. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    Trever1t

Member:
    Bay Area CA.
    Vehicle:
    '06 Basic Tacoma
    hopefully I won't have to use them at all. Thanks for all the help and advice, good stuff man!

18. Dec 15, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    what is going to be the first contact point? just general rubbing or upper control arm or spindle?

19. Dec 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    When I was shopping for a new taco back in the fall, I felt behind the tire for clearance on the various models on the lot.

I didn't check any "sport"s with 265/65R16, but on the 4x4s with 265/70R16s, the tire was *really* close to the UCA - less than a finger's breadth between them. Depending on the chains or cables, you couldn't even *mount* them. Others you'd be able to mount, but would end up striking the UCA as the tire rotated. I'd expect the same problem on the TRD Sport as well, since the offset looks to be the same...

On my truck with the OME shocks and coils, and 17x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacking, there's now more space between the tire and the UCA - so I have hopes of being able to mount front tire chains for snow-trail wheeling at some point. I'll know for sure after I get the chains. Either way, I'll keep one pair to put on the back for really icy conditions and to meet legal reqmts.

20. Dec 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    dlthunder

dlthunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Sold my Taco
    TRD Skid Plate Rear Seat 11inch DVD Toyota Bed Mat Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit Nerf Bars Tailgate Electric Dynolock D-ring Bedbolts
    If you are two wheel drive, don't go without chains (trust me look at my location :)). I have always owned 4x4s living in Reno and I have never owned chains. It is true you are required to carry them when driving over the pass but I have been through chain checks over 100 times and they have never asked me for them. Southern CA they will turn you around if you don't have chains, northern CA they are a little more lax on this rule and only seem to check the big rigs for chains. In generaly I-80 closes down before they require chains on 4x4s. I drive to Tahoe every weekend in the winter for skiing and in college drove to San Fran to visit family every other weekend, so I have driven over the mountain more times then I can count.

Products Discussed in

To Top