1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Change Woes (get a flashlight)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by brh, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Aug 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    brh

brh [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Just had to fix a flat on my 2010 (only 5,000 miles) at night. The entire system for changing a tire on this truck sucks. Way worse than my old S10. In the dark, you have to do things by feel, and the jack goes under the axel so you have to lie on the ground to position it. Lots of fun when the ground is wet after a rainstorm.

And the jack handle with those thumb screws?? Who's bright idea was that. Nothing fits togethor too well either. And of course you have to take the lug nut wrench portion on and off about three times.

Enough rant. Practical advice: Keep a good flashlight (always a good idea) and a floor mat of some sort in the vehicle for tire changing emergencies.

2. Aug 20, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    yeah..trying to stick the thingy through the hole under the tail gate and make it reach and fit into the other thingy that lowers the spare sucks haha

3. Aug 21, 2010 at 3:04 AM
    SoCalBlack08

SoCalBlack08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    3 letters man....AAA ;)

4. Aug 21, 2010 at 3:20 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Yes best is stick your handle together once at least before you get a flat. First time it's tricky. It needs a bit of help first time. I picked up a long handle breaker bar and a short extension with the proper socket. I just keep it in the truck. I did one more thing to. I painted that spare tire cable crank black then painted just the very edge bright yellow so you'll actually be able to see in the small hole to orientate the tool in relative darkness. Don't plan on getting any flats but it was just things I did. Took the spare off to pressure wash it and check it out then realized it would be a major PITA if you actually needed to do that on the side of some ditch.

5. Aug 21, 2010 at 4:55 AM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    That's a great idea! :thumbsup:

6. Aug 21, 2010 at 5:18 AM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    X2

7. Aug 21, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Pick up one of those headlamps they are really cheap now a days, I keep rechargeable batteries in the headlamp an maglight and swap in a fresh set from the charger when I do an oil change.

8. Aug 21, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I hear ya. I never had to change a spare out fortunately in my "02" But I bought a full size spare I put under there for a while just last year and it took me every bit of an hour trying to figure out what all the extensions were for on the handle.
    I was actually under the truck trying to turn the nut that holds the spare with a pair of vice grips.

9. Aug 21, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    megillet

megillet Resident Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6sp
    I just ordered the spare tire lock from the dealer so that it will hopefully make aligning the two pieces easier.

10. Aug 21, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded
    ^ Spare tire lock has it's trick too so enjoy:D

Write down the key code in other place in your home and never loose the key

11. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    =) E load tires. You can drive though a box of nails and probally wont get a flat.

12. Aug 23, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    megillet

megillet Resident Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6sp
    Care to elaborate? I haven't paid for it yet, so if you think it totally sucks, I might not pick it up.

13. Aug 23, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded
    No it doesn't suck at all, your tire will be very safe, but need to practice how to work it as with any other thing in your truck. it got it's trick so practice before you try to change your tire at night in freezing weather.

I lower my spare every other oil change just to practice and keep it clean.

I got mine since day one and that was 4.5 yrs ago, the wheel locks that I bought with the spare tire lock are long gone, piece of crap wheel locks!!

The spare tire lock is very good and well thought but make sure you put the key in a safe place in your truck, preferably in the pouch with the other tire change equipment and write down in a safe place other than the provided card, the code for the key in case you ever loose it and don't find the card, you can order a new one from McGuard.

I also carry a plug kit and a small compressor, in all those yrs I've used the spare only twice and that was recently when a sidewall went tits up, I patched it and 2 weeks later it tore again. All other flats I've fixed with the plug kit and compressor, it's faster and cleaner than changing a tire.

Products Discussed in

To Top