1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire inflation before and after MPG stats?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by island808, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    island808

island808 [OP] Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Anyone have some good well kept data to show tire pressure effect on MPG? Before and after type stuff.
    not anecdotes of your current pressure and mileage. That proves nothing. Also, its good data if you were always trying to save gas and not just one day turning over a new leaf and over inflating your tires. Consistency.

I don't want to shorten the life of my tires for nothing. If running like 10-15lbs over spec (as some say they are) is actually going to ruin tires like running 10-15 lbs under spec does.

Thanks

2. Feb 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Its a truck, you drive on lots of hills, curves, etc
    and you cant drive far enough in hawaii
    to make that much of a difference.
    I would be more worried about traction on the island.
    Had the same concerns on Guam.

3. Feb 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I go 5 psi over on my motorcycles and it makes a big difference in better gas mileage.
    But I don't trust the tires on my truck, those tires are designed for the recommended psi based on traction and how tough the sidewall is, and Toyota comes with the recommended psi for a smooth ride.
    In my state when at the scene of an auto accident, investagating the accident the first thing the Police do is check the tires and the tire air pressure to see if that was a cause of the accident.
    The recommended tire pressure is also a saftey issue (remember the Ford Explorer with the Firestone tires issue?)

4. Feb 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Yea I like keeping in spec, but following other threads some are putting up to 45 psi. No one rasses them for it. Was wondering if im being too cautious. And just to get some data posted... I like data.

I have no traction problems herer in hawaii. It rains a lot this winter. Mud can run out on the road, but the roads are new or old and grooved or just rough. Potholes arw big right now since a lot of the roads are put down with little or no road base.

Yea, I dont put but a few thousand miles on a vehicle each year, but a penny saved is a penny spent towards expensive av equipment. I too pump up my moto tires beyond the 21 lbs or whatever it calls for, but im running avon am24s not the stock dunlop knobbies.

Theres a good chunk of hypermile toyota guys out there that seem to have a mind towards experimentation though. Someone has tracked this.

5. Feb 11, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I would like to see the stats on that also,, anything that increases gas mileage gets my attention, still waiting to read the future posts on water injection (you know,, with the mason jar?)
    Last year I traded in my crotch rocket for Yamaha Tmax Scooter, still getting harrassed by my motorcycle friends, but I LOVE my Tmax and its almost as fast and handles better than a 600cc crotch rocket, plus with the under the seat storage space I can fit 7 bags of groceries and take it food shopping and it gets 55 mpg!

6. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    No I don't know "with the mason jar", but It sounds easy enough.. siphon feed a spray of water in there with the intake suction i imagine is the idea.
    but you get an air leak behind the maf if you run out.

Tmax eh? Its a fat chick scenario. I don't like things like that because of tire diameter. I've got a 21" front wheel. I've surmounted a queen size (maybe king I didn't check the tag) mattress in the middle of the road once and I laugh at speed bumps. Just press down and rebound over them. Don't even feel it. BUT, if I lived in town, it would be fine. I may be able to surmount a curb, but not at an angle as if someone was forcing me off the road. I was tempted by a burgman 650 once. Mostly because I wanted to figure out why the hell they called it the burgman. Their next model the finkle, and the rothstein?

7. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    True, but the under inflated tire is scuffing and falling on its side. I imagine under normal driving over inflating is much nicer on tires than under inflating. If you're not a tailgater and corner burner, it might not make a measurable difference in tire life, just a noticeable wear pattern. Not usually a problem, most people run their tires far under inflated. Check pressures when they, if they rotate them or notice steel poking out of the shoulder even though there's "plenty tread left."

They air down at .5 to several psi a month people, you can't stop it. Just like a helium balloon but slower.

Products Discussed in

To Top