1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Pressure Gauge Accuracy

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by PropJet, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Everyone knows the importance of maintaining a properly inflated tire. My question is, how do you know if the tire pressure gauge you're using is accurate?

Up until a few years ago I had never used anything other than the traditional stick-type gauges. You know, the cheap 99 cent ones you can get just about anywhere. Then one day while doing a little research, I discovered that the stick-types are not known for their accuracy. The articles I had read all suggested using a digital gauge, or a round-dial type gauge. Soon after, one of my boys gave me a digital gauge from Brookstone, and I threw all of my stick-types away. Finally, I had an accurate gauge, or so I thought.

Last summer, I decided to pick up a cheap $10 Slime digital tire gauge to keep in my glove compartment. It was digital so I figured it must be accurate, and as a bonus even displayed pressures down to the tenths. When I got home I compared it to the Brookstone digital gauge I had, and the two were a few psi different.

At this point I was confused, as I've always heard that digital gauges are supposed to be accurate. I did some more research, and ordered a Moroso round-dial gauge (I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89570-..._3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1280362988&sr=8-3). It's supposed to be individually calibrated for accuracy to within 2%, not to mention all the articles I'd read suggested one of these types. I get it, test it against the others, and it gives me yet a different reading.

Here's why I'm looking for an answer. I recently traded in my Tacoma for a new full size truck (loved the Taco, but wanted something bigger). The recommended cold tire pressure for all four tires is 35 psi, and the max pressure is 44 psi. I'm taking it on a road trip beginning this weekend, pulling a travel trailer about 400 miles through the mountains in Colorado. Using the Moroso round-dial gauge, I get a reading of 40 psi. The Brookstone digital shows 37 psi, and the Slime digital shows 35.3 psi. If I assume the Moroso is the correct one and it turns out it is not, I'd be airing it down to what I thought was 35 psi, when in fact it would really be 30 psi, which would be underflated. If on the other hand I assume the Slime is correct at 35.3 psi and leave it alone, and it turns out the Moroso is the correct one, I'm afraid the combination of the a 10,000' gain in altitude combined with the added tongue weight of the trailer, not to mention the general expansion of air as the tires get hot while driving, will easily push the psi beyond the max of 44. Either scenario can be a dangerous one if I guess incorrectly.

Any advice or guidance as to which gauge I should believe? Supposedly I have 3 accurate gauges, yet I have a variance of 5 psi from the low end to the high end.

2. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    My head hurts.

3. Jul 28, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    I don't know the answer to your question. But with all your gauges, I'm pretty sure your tires are properly inflated

presta24 likes this.
  4. Jul 28, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I say just pick the most expensive you have and use that. As long as you use the same one for all 4 tires you should be fine.

5. Jul 28, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Interesting...now I'm worried about my gauge!! I'd probably trust the moroso one...name brand, professional equipment, etc. Just my opinion.

6. Jul 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Well, that's exactly my point. They're all different, and I don't know which one to trust. If I pick the wrong one to trust, I could easily be underinflated or overinflated, neither of which is good considering I'll be at max payload pulling a trailer in the mountains.

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    ElectronMan

ElectronMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    I get what you are saying, but you might be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Safety should be your greatest concern and a +/- 3 psi deviation does not create a hazard.

8. Jul 28, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    X2 ^
    but If your really concerned take it to a shop.

9. Jul 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    What I do, is use the chalk method to determin propper air psi. I then note the psi with a particular gauge I have, and I use it only for the truck. Same thing for my car. Use 1 gauge for it, after I find the propper psi with chalk.

10. Jul 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    Good idea. So in other words, the reading the gauge gives is irrelevent, so long as you set the tires to that specific number.

11. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Correct.

12. Mar 10, 2017 at 12:44 PM
    16Tacos

16Tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    OME Nitrochargers w/886s & Dakars, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar w/Warn winch, RCI sliders with kick out, IFS & Mid skids, BFF Hi-clearance rear bumper, Brushed Copper 17" SCS Ray10s w/285-70 KO2s, Black OEM 16" steelies w/255-85 KM2s, Leer contractor cap w/Smittybilt overlander xl RTT, Off-Grid Engineering dual battery kit and bed power panel, Blue sea aux fuse block, Wyntner 60L fridge freezer, ARB dual compressor, Pioneer 720BT head unit, CB radio, @Matt_Gecko bed and engine bay lights, @TacomaTruckParts Dirt bike tie down bar, color matched OEM grill, A-Pillar phone mount mod, @Docloco rear seat molle panel
    I always used the liquid filled gauges when racing motorcycles since one or two PSI made a huge difference in performance and tire life. I always tested mine against the Dunlop guys gauges to make sure we we're getting similar readings since they were the ones giving me recommended pressures based on the air and track temperatures. The key with these it to never overpower the gauge (for example if you have a max reading of 40psi and you check a tire with 45psi, you have most likely now impaired the accuracy of that gauge.

lyodbraun likes this.
  13. Mar 10, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    lyodbraun

lyodbraun Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 TRD Sport
    Nothing yet
    This is what I exactly did picked up a nice gauge at Rd Atlanta back in 1999 or so and never looked back liquid filled gauges are great, the one I have I sent it back to the mfg and they replaced fluid and calibrated it... works like a charm...

16Tacos[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top