1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Pressure Sensors!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by sdupp, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Apr 12, 2007 at 5:56 AM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    so from looking at my wheels the sensors look like the ones we have on expeditions and some explors t he sensor is the valve stem and screws in where the valve stem goes so just dismount the tire and unscrew the sensor its like a 12 or 13mm nut on the out side of the wheel the stem should pull out and transfer over easily

2. Apr 12, 2007 at 7:30 AM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    The Tacoma TPMS sensors look like these photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Depending on what type of rim you have (steel vs alloy) you will have either a 20 degree or 40 degree valve stem on the sensor. You must be sure to use the correct angled sensor in your wheel or it won't fit. The 20 degree sensors are for the alloy rims, and the 40 degree sensors are for the steel rims.

3. Apr 12, 2007 at 7:33 AM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    ya those are similar to the ford ones but all of ours are one angle or they have a band that goes around the rim with a sensor on it these suck btw any ways those just unscrew and pop out just make sure you get the right ones

4. Apr 15, 2007 at 2:22 PM
    bryan44

bryan44 New Member

Member:
    I just put Toyota Enkei alloy wheels on my 07 Tacoma that had steel wheels on it and I was able to use the steel sensors on the alloy wheels with just a minor adjustment. I did the swap myself instead of taking it to the dealer and was able to make it work. All I had to do was put some self adhesive foam tape on the back side of the sensor to take up the space do to the different angles of the senors. The sensors work just fine with the new wheels. Could save alot of people alot of money by not having to use the $104 new sensors. Hope this helps.

5. Apr 15, 2007 at 3:45 PM
    sak3358

sak3358 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Starting in 2008 all US made vehicles will have the Tire Sensors. As I was told, this is as result of the Explorer roll overs. Ford claimed they weren't at fault, tire tire maker claimed they made a quality tire, but the consumer wasn't using it correctly, ie: lack of air in the tires, over inflated...ect. The government moved in and mandated the manufacturers install the sensors to ensure the consumer uses the product correctly. The small independant gas stations who do the small jobs are required to purchase the equipment and learn the systems for simple jobs such as rotating the tires, where the ECM needs to be reset to reflect the new change. I'm not an expert, but this was my understanding after a conversation with an expert on the subject.

6. Apr 17, 2007 at 6:40 AM
    TacoMan

TacoMan Active Member

Member:
    Great pics Gorilla. That always helps.

7. May 13, 2007 at 6:15 PM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    Update on my wheel sensors. I replaced my stock steel wheels about a month ago with FJ alloys. I purchased new sensors for the FJ rims, just have not installed them yet. Today was the first time the light has come on in my truck, it happened after I was driving around for about 1 hr. I've been storing the steel wheels in the garage, within 10-15 ft of the truck so I think this is why the light had yet to come on. I simply reset the sensor while parked in my garage next to the steel wheels and now the light is off again. I will put the sensors in my FJ wheels soon, but I wanted to see how long it would take for the light to come on. In my case it was approximately 1 month.

8. Jun 1, 2007 at 3:19 PM
    Tacomadog

Tacomadog New Member

Member:
    It is nice to know if your tire pressure is correct all the time. Also imagine getting a flat and then finding out your spare is flat. They have a sensor also. So it reads 5 sensors not just 4. I like that aspect.

9. Jun 7, 2007 at 7:10 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I am curious if anyone knows what the range of the TPMS transmitters are, and if the system in the truck is capable of tracking 8 sensors instead of just the five?

Here's the reasoning.

I pull a travel trailer and would like to have a monitor in each tire on the trailer. The trailer axle is roughly 17 feet behind the rear axle of the truck. and then the spare on the trailer is about 10 feet beyond that.

I guess, if the spare was too far away I could do without that. Then also would the truck light up at me when I was running without the trailer? That would of-course only matter if the system in the truck can monitor additional sensors, and they would still be in range?

While I'm asking questions, what is the expected life of the batteries in the sensors, and are they user replacable, or is that one of those things that I would get raped by the dealer for?

Thanks for any input

Adam

10. Jun 17, 2007 at 4:55 PM
    sdupp

sdupp [OP] SC Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    White 07 PreRunner Double Cab SR5
    UPDATE::
    With the help of my mechanic I was able to transfer the tire pressure sensors from my steal wheels to a set of TRD wheels. We turn them 180 degrees and gently lifted the tire over & around them during installation. They work just fine.... The only problem will occur when I replace the tires. We will need to break down the tire from the opposite side of the sensor so they don't get damaged. Not the best solution but it worked for me.

Stan:)
    07 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Double Cab

11. Jun 18, 2007 at 7:39 AM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    If I am picturing this right the sensor is closer to the tire bead than the inside of rim?
    Wonder what happens if you get a flat while driving?
    My guess is the sensor is toast.

12. Jun 19, 2007 at 7:52 AM
    sdupp

sdupp [OP] SC Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    White 07 PreRunner Double Cab SR5

If it were a low profile tire I would be more worried. I don’t think it will damage the sensor it if stop immediately. I wish I would have taking pictures when I installed them.

13. Jul 16, 2007 at 5:39 PM
    nceguystaco

nceguystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    i just went from steel to alloy and did not change i used the ones from steel and they work just fine 4wheelparts did the install

14. Dec 21, 2007 at 9:51 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Thread is a little old but would like a question answered if possible. couldnt resist a sweet deal from my buddy $300 rims and tires, and if i buy new tpms sensors its roughly $500
    1. i had the steal wheels took them off and put trd rims from a 2005, the 2005 tacomas did they come with tpms installed?

15. Mar 23, 2008 at 4:56 PM
    Grady07

Grady07 New Member

Member:
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    I bought a 2007 Tacoma with steel wheels and as it turned out the steel wheels had defects. I had a brother-in-law who bought a 07 Tacoma the same time I did. His had the "Toyota" Alloy wheels and he told me that he would sell me these wheels as he was getting another type of wheel. I bought the Toyota Alloy wheels from him LESS THE SENSORS. I thought the SENSORS in my steel wheels would work. I even ask the folks at the Toyota dealership if they would and they said, "YES THEY WOULD". NOT SO!!!! When I took my truck to have the wheels changed out I was told by the same Toyota dealership they had made a mistake and the ones for the "ALLOY" wheels would need to be ordered in as they did not stock any type of wheel sensors. I was call by the Toyota dealership and took my truck in to change out the bad steel wheels and for them to put the Toyota Alloy wheels on. About four hours later I was called to the ticket office and I had to pay $600 dollars plus the sales tax for the new sensors they ordered in for the Alloy wheels,
    Did Toyota pay me any thing for the bad steel wheels that came new on the truck? NO!:mad: As it turned out I paid for a problem that Toyota has with some of their steel wheels. Not good! Anyways I hope this is of some help.

Products Discussed in

To Top