1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Recommendations

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 09TacoBob, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sep 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    09TacoBob

09TacoBob [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4X4
    Looking to replace the OEM Dunlop (Dun'tLast) tires on my 4x4 Doublecab. I've read some of the other threads here Re: Michelins, and was very pleased with Michelins I had years ago on another vehicle. They lasted a long time. My biggest concern in winter driving, then treadlife, then handling. On Tire Rack.com the General Grabber HTS's had favorable review also and are about $70 per tire less.

So, Between General Grabber HTS and a set of Michelin LTX M/S2's, is there a difference in quality and performance I'll notice? Should I go with Michelin quality or save $280 on the set of Generals. The warranties are similar, 60,000 on the Gernerals and 70,000 on the Michelins.
    :burnrubber:

2. Sep 20, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    may i suggest the goodyear duratrac wranglers... it's an all terrain tire that looks and acts like a mud tire.

no problems with my duratracs so far...

3. Sep 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    If your biggest concern is winter driving, I'd pick a tire that has the "extreme winter" logo - mountain/snowflake logo.

4. Sep 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    RedskinRedTaco

RedskinRedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4 Offroad Crewcab
    Trifecta folding Touneau Cover, 275/70/16 LTX M/S, Running Boards, Dynamat, tint, Alpine W404 Video system w/ backup cam, Sirius Sat, Polk Audio Component Speakers frt and back, Alpine 4x50 amp. Billy's 5100's set @ 1 3/4, 1" rear blocks, Rear TSB, trimmed frt mud flaps 4", TRD Exhuast, K&N filter. Electric Brake.
    Michelin LTX M/S. Best truck tire by far. Thats why they cost more. They were orginal equipment on my Land Crusier FJ-80.

5. Sep 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    09TacoBob

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4X4
    THanks for the suggestion. I've seen reference to those also. What's the warranty on them and how do they perform in winter driving - if you have had that expereince in your part of the country ?

6. Sep 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Duratraca are rated as a snow tire and do extremely well.

7. Sep 21, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    ok. First. General's "mileage warranty" isn't backed by General. That's Tirerack putting a warranty on those tires to sell more of them.

Second. yes, the generals are getting good reviews, but they will not last anywhere near the life of the michelins. I have 3 customers (manager for Discount Tire) with over 100k on their Michelins, and still have tread left on them. I, from personal expirience, got 125k on my 1st gen Tacoma and still had 6/32 of tread when I upgraded to my BFG A/T's.

Third. The Duratracs are an all-terrain tire that do have more off road capability than either two tires, yet I will bet that both the general and the michelin will last longer than the Goodyear, will also wear more evenly, and be expentially quietier than the duratrac. Given the 3 options, I would bite the bullet and get the michelins. They will last at least twice as long, ride smooth as long as you own them, and give you the all season capability that you need in the winter months without issue

8. Sep 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    gman88

gman88 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Pittsburgh
    When in doubt, Michelin. There are other ways to save money. Never mess around with tires.

9. Sep 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    Michelin MS2's are awesome. Had them for about 3 months now and love them. Quiet on the road, handles awesome in the rain and great on mild off road (forest roads).

10. Sep 22, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    09TacoBob

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4X4
    Thanks much. I'm happy you responded as I saw your posts in another thread on tires and you know your stuff - for a good reason I guess. That's really good to know about the Generals. I'll stick with what I've had good experience with in the past and trust. I appreciate everyone's opinion and know that many of us get particularly loyal to certain brands and such, and their tires may be just right for how they use their truck. I learned quite a bit reading all the other posts and threads,the kinda stuff they don't really tell you on the tire manufaturer's websites: like how it's objectively going to perform and feel on the road. ie. LT vs P tires, the LT have extra plys but will really feel like a rough truck compared to the P smoother road performance. Wanting a smooth ride, becasue that's really why I loved my Taco over any other truck's feel in testdrives, but wanting good winter performance and longevity, I've concluded it's worth it to get the Michelins (M/S2's - not just M/S's as the 2's are better). And with the current deal they have for $70 off a set of 4, that will pay for the install, balancing etc.

THanks to ALL - This is a great site. Hope I can contribute something back to someone else.

11. Nov 26, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    You'll like your MS2's. I've had mine only about a month but couldn't be happier with them. It's like night and day when driving in the rain compared with my old AT tires, same with dry pavement. Now just waiting for the white stuff to come down so I can see how they work in snow.

Products Discussed in

To Top