1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire selection

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cameraperson, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Nov 25, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    cameraperson

cameraperson [OP] TIM HUS shows Nashville how it's done correctly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameraperson ADK
    DC and Lake Ozonia in the ADKs
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 TrD sport
    Roof Rack, Auto Ignition, Full-time switchable camera over the rear tag, steering wheel cover, light floor mats, Gravimetric torpedoes
    What do you recommend for tires?

My situation is mostly pavement, and towing a boat and other trailers. But I want it to look great too, and it dosnt have to be the most or least expensive either. Explain why you like em, if you can.

07 Tacoma 17" wheels 4x4 V6

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Nov 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM
    danbow

danbow Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 F150 Crew 4x4
    I like my stock BFG rugged terrain that came with the TRD off road package ok. I have to tow a few trailers and I do a lot of highway driving, but I also like to play a little. I like them because they are pretty quite on the highway, look pretty good, but they don't like thick mud.

3. Nov 25, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    I just needed to buy tires and was wondering the same thing. After checking around and looking at prices I went with Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S 265/65R-17. It seemed like a good all around tire with good snow traction. They are 60,000 mile tires with a wear rating of 500.

I don't off road, but do drive a bit aggressively.

So far at about 1000 miles, they seem fine except they squeal a bit. We'll see when the snow comes if they stand up to that.

I ended up paying around $150 each.

GA

4. Nov 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    kiddwvman

kiddwvman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    leon
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 4 banger
    weathertec floor liner,tinted windows,bilstein 5100 front .85,5100'S rear,window vents,K@N air filter
    i like the firestone destination a/t i just got mine today looks good,they got a real good rating on tire rack.com :)

5. Nov 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I've been running the BFG All-Terrain KO's on both this and my former pos Ranger. They were the only awesome thing about the Ranger.

I've done some towing, ton of highway, some off-roading (as much as a locked pre-runner will handle :D), and general abuse (sidewalks, rocks, ect to the sidewall). They're beat up hard... don't leak a bit of air at all. I have over 30k on them and still probably at least 1/2 tread left. I even do one wheel peelies quite a bit :D

In the wet... they're not Exceptional... no experience with winter driving conditions (az afterall). Unless you're hardcore wheeling... these are about the best all-around tire I've ever encountered. The stock Rugged Fails were horrible traction. The only thing they were good in was dirt roads. The AT's blow them out for everything else, with only a very slight, barely noticable increase in hwy noise.

6. Nov 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    I had the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza on my Titan and loved them. Very smooth.

Anyone here with the stock Dunlop AT20 on 17 " TRD see the samething I am seeing? These tires lose traction so easy, squealing at light braking and turns. Actually, do they just make noise like that or they just have bad tractions.

7. Nov 25, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Even with AT's I can do it pretty easy. It depends if the bed has any weight or not... it's pretty typical of almost any truck that has some torque.

8. Nov 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Pirelli Scorpion ATR. I went to Tirerack.com and compared all the tractions scenarios and the overall tread wear and those seemed to be the best. I know they are a little more expensive but I have over 35k on mine and dont have any noticable wear, mostly all highway. I tow my boat almost every weekend in the summer and they are great. No traction problems what so ever on the boat ramp or in the rain. I have only gone off road once (really wasn't off roading more like a long steep mud trail down to the lake at our property) but it had just rained for 2 days and was really muddy. I didn't have any trouble getting back up the hill. I would def recomend these tires.

9. Nov 25, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    I have a set of 17 inch Yokohama Geolander ATS on my F150 supercrew. They look great. Prices are very good. Have had them on for the last couple of years now in the Northwest. Nice deep cleats, great all season traction in rain, snow and muddy logging roads. You can check out lots of different tires online at www.tirerack.com. I actually bought them from Discount Tire after getting my best price at the Tire Rack. They with either meet or beat other competitors pricing. I seem to remember paying about 135.00 per tire.
    If/when I replace my stock Toyota Tires I will be getting these same tires again.
    Whatever you chose, good luck. K

10. Nov 25, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    cameraperson

cameraperson [OP] TIM HUS shows Nashville how it's done correctly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameraperson ADK
    DC and Lake Ozonia in the ADKs
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 TrD sport
    Roof Rack, Auto Ignition, Full-time switchable camera over the rear tag, steering wheel cover, light floor mats, Gravimetric torpedoes
    I love this website. Thanks everyone for the infos, and keep em coming. I will be buying tires in a few months- or if it's a light Winter in DC, spring/summer time.

And if you bought tires, was there a charge to mount them, or was that part of the deal?

Mike

11. Nov 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    There is always a charge for mount/balance. Discount is pretty reasonable, and you can usually talk yourself into getting some cash off if you got a cool rep. Plus, discount has 'free' balance and rotation for life after you buy the tires there...

Products Discussed in

To Top