1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Stem Valves

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Chipdog, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jun 10, 2010 at 10:43 PM
    Chipdog

Chipdog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    My spare was stolen a few months back and to save money, i bought a used tire with rim. However, my tire pressure warning light stays on (blinking). The dealer told me I needed a new tire stem valve containing the sensor for the spare and it needed to be programmed. Total cost quoted is $207 plus tax.

Can the tire pressure warning sensor be deactivated to stop the blinking warning light on my dash? Or do I have to spend $207?

Chipdog

2. Jun 11, 2010 at 1:33 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    The only way i know of to deactivate it is pull out the gauge cluster and unsolder the LED that lights of the tmps light. If u dont want to do that your going to have to buy the sensor. Try finding a used one since 200 is pretty pricey.

3. Jun 11, 2010 at 2:00 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    haha that does work also.

4. Jun 11, 2010 at 2:23 AM
    Johnny M50

Johnny M50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma, V6 Sport 4x4,debadged, Super White
    K&N "warm" air intake
    I'm confused, if there is no tire sensor in the spare, why woould the tire pressure light keep blinking? Can't it just be replaced with a "normal" valve stem?

5. Jun 11, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    old model 2nd gens had the tpms in the spare tire. i don't think the 09 and 10 have the tpms in the spare.

6. Jun 11, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    EEtaco

EEtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Prerunner
    I would think the dealer could reprogram the TPMS for only the four wheels, but maybe they don't have a manual for that. :rolleyes:

7. Jun 11, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    akdisney

akdisney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 V6
    Thule 422xt rack w/ XK1 rack adapter, uvw tool chest box, nerfBars
    my 2010 tacoma have the TPMS in the spare
    Dealer say if the light come on you need check all five tire for presser.
    Yes there on on the spare for tire rotation.

8. Jun 11, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    i wouldn't exactly use my spare for anything other than a spare. it's full size, but the rim is a spare rim. no rotating the spare for me. i'm still certain mine does not have a tpms.

9. Jun 11, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    The dealer won't alter safety systems. It came with 5 sensors, so the computer looks for 5 signals. Each sensor is coded and needs to be entered by scan tool.

10. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    This is a good idea but they would still have to break down the remaining four tires to get the codes. From everything I have read about the system, including the online sm on ncttora, the tpms ecu only stores the numbers, up to 5. It doesn't tell you which one is which. The cost to this would probably add up to getting a new one unless something has changed.

If you have an 2006, you can ground out the system fairly easily. It is documented over at TN. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326748

There was also a guy w/ a 2006 who spliced an inline fuse so he could turn it off or on depending on what set of tires he used (winter or summer). The pics disappeared on that one for he sold the truck & deleted them off photobucket.

This was only a fix that worked on 2006s.
    I opted not to do anything when I swapped tires out (summer/winter) & only trigger a light after being out of range for a certain period of time. I do have a sensor in the spare fwiw.

11. Jun 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    Silver06Taco

Silver06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA state
    Vehicle:
    Silver 06 DC TRD Sport
    Actually...the tires don't need to be broken down to get the codes. America's Tire and Les Schwab were able to get the codes from each valve with their scan tool. The problem I had (2 weeks ago) was their device not being able to load the ID #'s into the ecu of the truck. After not wanting to pay the stealership $125 to program them, the third time was a charm for America's Tire to get it written to the ecu. They updated their scan tool and BAM all sensors are good to go and NO light.

I also believe the system can store more than 5 codes, as people have winter wheels with the sensors and it's able to read all. I'm not positive though as I only have one set.

12. Jun 11, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB -Empty-

Member:
    Or you could save yourself 200$ and just let the light stay on.
    That's what I do

13. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Good info on not having to break them down. :)
    The Service Manual from NCTTORA stated only 5 codes. I run a winter tire set on my stock oem steel rims/sensors. My summer alloys do not have sensors except for my spare. I know members here who have sets in both & have to get them reprogrammed. I don't throw a light unless the system stops communicating with my stored sensors. It doesn't throw a light at all unless I head out of town but resets once back home overnight. I use a tacomaworld business card to cover the light til then.

Attached Files:

14. Jun 11, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    My '08 spare was plain black, not the silver stylized. It had a tpms sensor. I have extra stock rims for sale, if you want to put your lazy tire into the rotation.

You should read more of Simon's mom's post. She knows her sensors. The scan tool only tells you what's entered. NOT where it's mounted. You have a 1 in 5 chance of changing the right entry without having the old sensor in hand.

15. Jun 11, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    s10nick

s10nick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    Greeley, CO
    Vehicle:
    base mod. debaged
    3inch hbs lift toytec diff drop grillcraft grill hella 500s conv. to 8k hids xentec hid head light conv. 5% tint more to come
    i will sell you a tpms for 40$+ the shippin they go for a about $110 normaly

Products Discussed in

To Top