1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire traction

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Shovels, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Nov 11, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    Shovels

Shovels [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shovels
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '04 SR5 4x4
    Hey all, Ive always heard that throwing an extra 100 lbs in the bed will help traction. Is 100 lbs just a rule of thumb? Is more weight better like 200 lbs?
    I have an '04 v6 and I've swung my ass-end around a few times more than i'd like in the snow and even the rain. I still have the stock tires with good tread and correct recommened inflation. Thanks for the input
    -By the way, does anyone else hate the feeling when the ABS kicks in? One of those helpless "OH SHIT" moments

2. Nov 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    More weight is better, like 200 to 300lbs for snow. You figure an average person is under 200lbs, so if you had someone sit in your bed, what difference would that make?

3. Nov 12, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    extra weight - always. i keep a couple of sand tubes in the box all winter long. little truck + big engine = control issues.
    ABS - hate it! dumbest, most useless automobile technology ever. i think my car (subaru) and my truck slide ten times further if/when the abs kick in. i have found that my vehicles have a certain sweet spot in the brakes that the abs wont kick in - just cant press too hard on the pedal.

Products Discussed in

To Top