1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tires and weight capacity

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by camper101, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Sep 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    camper101

camper101 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Access cab TRD
    Hi,

The more I've read about this in other postings the less I understand… so any input you have would be helpful

I'd like to make sure I'm safe with my new Tacoma. I'll be carrying a slide in camper (let's say it's a 600ish pound shell model), and I don't want to pop tires or or cause a fiery death for anybody including myself.

So, how much would it help to get LT or D/E rated tires? Does this make a substantial difference, or is the Tacoma's carrying capacity the main issue (like, am I just putting on stiff hiking boots to try and carry an elephant on my back)? At this point, getting a different truck is not on the table.

Here's what causes my concern: I know the Tacoma capacity is around 1300 lbs. Then the sticker on my truck says occupants and cargo should not exceed 1150. But that's also saying I'll use P-rated tires. So I'm wondering if D/E rated tires (or a higher load index) will substantially improve things, or if that's wishful thinking.

Currently I have what came on the truck: BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/70R16 111T.

I figure the camper's 600 lbs, I'm 180, the girlfriend might be with me, so that only leaves a few hundred pounds of cushion for gear/junk/etc. Remove the tailgate and subtract a few pounds...

I'm doing very little off-roading, and when I am on rugged terrain I'll drive VERY slowly, but I'm wondering (again…) if I just have to get tougher tires. Or maybe as long as I'm near the load limit I'm ok?

Thank you for reading.

2. Sep 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    camper101

camper101 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Access cab TRD
    OK, a shorter version of the question:

Do I get a substantial improvement in safety (and flats) if I go to D/E rated, or is that overkill for my needs?

Main concern is that I'll be at the weight limit on the Tacoma's sticker due to a slide-in camper etc.

Or, can I just drive really slow when on rugged terrain, and everything will be fine?

Thank you!

3. Sep 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The load limit on p-rated tires is higher than the curb weight of a fully-loaded and towing tacoma.

4. Sep 25, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    tacoftw

tacoftw 5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously

Member:
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4
    5100s, camburg arms, toytec AAL, 285s on m/t 17x9
    hes right, my c-range nittos are really more than id need as far as weight rating

5. Sep 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Nice. Im getting the P rated tires next time. I dont do anything needing more

Products Discussed in

To Top