1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Titanium Disulfide Friction Reducer in powertrain

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by StuckinOhio, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Jun 7, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    StuckinOhio

StuckinOhio [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' v6 AC 4x4 SR5
    Has anyone used or have experience with Tungsten Disulfide in automotive applications?
    It is pretty popular in the SXS world for friction reduction in diffs and gearboxes.
    I was curious if it could be used in a transfer case or differentials for reduced wear.
    It is pretty expensive however its does not seem like much is needed?
    Any thoughts?

2. Jun 22, 2017 at 7:03 PM
    NOFINISHLINE

NOFINISHLINE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    Tailgate Mod, JBA Long-tube headers, Demello offroad baja front bumper, carrier bearing spacer, Icon Coilover + Icon UCA, Fox remote reservoir rear shocks, OME Dakar leaf springs
    This is a great question! I am surprised no one has answered...

There has to be someone on this forum with some insight

3. Feb 12, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    schmittie123

schmittie123 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Basically stock
    Hello to all,

Brand new post, so don’t be skeptical, I’m a realist, troll-loathing, mechanically inclined guy wanting to debunk the false and contribute to some new, helpful, information.

With that short intro out of the way, I do have some limited experience with both Moly (molybdenum disulfide) and the “better” tungsten disulfide (WS2).
    I added some of each into all parts of my Fj Cruiser engine/drivetrain EXCLUDING ANYTHING WITH A CLUTCH. So far with a mixture of roughly 0.5g of each per quart of oil I’ve noticed more power -and burnouts- with decreased rolling resistance.
    I have yet to get a number figure on gas mileage but that will be found out later on...

Seems like this stuff really does work, and funny story, I remember wayy back -like as a child- going to top fuel nitromethane drag races getting totally gassed out by the exhaust from their tune ups in the pits.
    To all that have been to these kinds of races, nitromethane has a very specific smell and I notice this smell from event to event; namely with nitro rc cars (which use something like 20% nitromethane to 80% alcohol in their fuel) and ALSO after I added moly/ws2 to one of my old worn out 2-stroke weed eaters!
    I suspect the hard core racing teams use this material to not only increase hp by reducing friction, but as to also supplement lubrication when the power is just too much when the thin oil-film layers are pushed from obscene forces occurring within one of the 10,000hp beasts.
    Tungsten disulphide supposedly can take up to 400,000 psi of force before the microscopic film breaks. With engines running on nitro, these forces are definitely up there.

So, try it at your own risk and don’t be an idiot and add it to your wet clutch, auto trans or limited siht differential!
    Good luck and I’ll do my best to answer any questions.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Brice, su.b.rat, skyking3 and 2 others like this.
  4. Feb 14, 2018 at 4:16 AM
    StuckinOhio

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' v6 AC 4x4 SR5
    Great first post!
    Welcome to Tacomaworld!
    How long have you been running it in your engine?
    Will the WS2 will be captured by the oil filter and just cake up the pleats?
    Curious if you've ever checked an old filter?
    Thanks again for the good information!

5. Feb 14, 2018 at 4:20 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    :popcorn:

su.b.rat likes this.
  6. Feb 14, 2018 at 9:43 AM
    vasinvictor

vasinvictor Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '01 DCSB racetruck
    hx35 turbo, AEM F/IC, Transgo, custom converter, CalTracs, Elocker, 2-4" drop, 4x4 conversion (2023) on a new purple powdercoated fram, 255/55r18 street, 255/60r16 M&H Racemasters, 7.6 at 91
    Hell of a first post. Thanks for your input!

Brice, su.b.rat and ChadsPride like this.
  7. Feb 14, 2018 at 11:15 AM
    schmittie123

schmittie123 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Basically stock
    Thanks guys!

For those with keen eyes, I’ve canged the dosage on that fist post from 5g to 0.5g because I botched my calculations. So I hope you can forgive me for I am a noob to auto forms. But in actuality the difference is not critical; just not recommended per any sources I’ve come across.
    From the studies I have read (one good example: https://usbr.gov/research/projects/download_product.cfm?id=312) a good target is 700ppb, so I added 0.5g per quart -which is above recommended. I’ve chosen the above partly because I’m stubborn, but I also judged the amount of additive based on the existing product Liquimoly https://products.liqui-moly.com/additives/oil-additive.html.
    Now I’m not going to say buy this and that and add it to expect crazy hp gains, I’m just documenting what I’ve done and giving you nice people a somewhat scientific view of any results.

To answer your question Mark, I do not believe 0.5g/qt of either additive could clog an oil filter for a couple reasons...
    1. With 0.5g/qt not 5g/qt, sorry again guys, the concentrations would not be high enough to impede oil flow if it were to get all trapped in the oil filter. If it were all to get trapped it would just be a thin evenly distributed film just like all the other trapped particles in the engine.
    2. The products I have used contain very finely ground particles that can probably pass right through the fiber/paper filters in most or any oil filters. I’ll post the links to what was used at the end of this post, however the particle size of the WS2 is said to be 1/2um! Which is very very very small. For the Moly, I don’t have the numbers, but under a microscope the particles were all close to the same size and shape as the WS2. Basically the particles should pass right through the filters.

With just 1 car to test this on I can’t say one or the other leads to better performance (which is why I just added both), BUT the WS2 seems to win everywhere else technically, except on price and avaliability. Tungsten also wins on smell. Moly is stinky stuff, and messy, but both are really messy anyways.

Product sources:
    Molybdenum Disulfide MSO2
    https://products.liqui-moly.us/mos2-antifriction-for-gears-2.html

Tungsten Disulfide WS2
    http://www.microlubrol.com/MicroLub...Powder-Ultra-Fine-0.5-micron-1-oz-Bottle.aspx

8. Feb 14, 2018 at 4:24 PM
    Explor

Explor Don’t take the trip ... let the trip take you

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    @schmittie123 , Great information Robert !
    Howerver im a bit confused on the measurement. At .5 g per quart , does the g stand for gram ? If not I would appreciate some education.

This ws2 really interests me , Thanks ! and Thanks to op @StuckinOhio for starting this thread !

su.b.rat likes this.
  9. Feb 14, 2018 at 6:56 PM
    schmittie123

schmittie123 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Basically stock
    Yes that is in grams by weight.
    Also, I’ve been running this for 200 miles or so and I’ve been pumped about this subject lately because I feel much better performance, less vibration and hopefully better mpg.
    And all that above should be expected when you reduce the friction in the motor/drivetrain by ten or so times.
    COF motor oils: ~.7- .2
    COF Tungsten Disulfide: ~.07-.03
    COF molybdenum Disulfide: ~.15

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    su.b.rat and Explor like this.
  10. Feb 20, 2018 at 8:04 PM
    steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser
    So are you just weighing out the ws2 on a scale in another container and then adding it to the engine, transfer case, etc. ?

su.b.rat likes this.
  11. Feb 21, 2018 at 3:47 AM
    StuckinOhio

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' v6 AC 4x4 SR5
    Schmittie I agree, 0.5g is probably not enough to clog a filter.
    I was following a commander forum where it was tested in a engine and the filter was able to capture some of the WS2.
    e626025963300aebea1fe1701410b542_70281929c7bc70b851c5fdec917487742015a826.jpg

ChadsPride likes this.
  12. Feb 21, 2018 at 11:27 AM
    FinnJ

FinnJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finland
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T
    TRD SC, UCON, CNG conversion, RC 6" (lifted 4"/3" air suspension) w/FOX 2.5, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RECARO seats, etc.
    I have used this company’s stuff in engines, gearboxes and differentials for last 10 years: http://www.rvs-tec.com/

Works fine, I can recommend.

13. Feb 22, 2018 at 2:33 PM
    schmittie123

schmittie123 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Basically stock
    First to answer your question Ryan, the way I’ve been adding this stuff to my drivetrain components is to weigh out the powder on a scale and add it to a quart of oil (engine or gear oil depending on where it goes).
    I make the mixture 4 times denser (I.e. 2 grams to a quart) if I’m going to add that mix to my engine which uses ~4-5 quarts of oil total.
    Mix it well and you’ll get a homogenous grey mixture with no streaks or clumps of WS2.

And a little bit of an update on mpg:
    About 1.5 tanks of gas later this is what I’ve found:
    15 mpg city (with worst driving habits including; driving in mud, idling, full throttle, avg speed below 40mph)
    17 mpg highway (high cruising speeds over 80 -yeah I’m guilty, sorry- and some traffic)

This appears to be an improvement over my original mpg figures which were ~1mpg less even with better driving habits than above.

These tests are just after addding both moly and WS2 to my engine, rear diff and transfer case.

Obviously economy wasn’t a concern in the past few tests....

steezinstangl likes this.
  14. Feb 23, 2018 at 5:55 AM
    Rujack

Rujack Stop Global Whining

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed manual
    To be sure I understand: you’ve added both the moly and WS2 together to your oils?

15. Feb 23, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    Rujack

Rujack Stop Global Whining

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed manual
    Well, after a couple hours of research I decided to give this a try.

I ordered the lm MoS2 cans for my engine, and the smaller tubes for transmission, transfer case, and diffs.

Went ahead and ordered some WS2 as well.

I can’t see why it would be harmful - but... Any reason to not add to a locking diff?

16. Mar 3, 2018 at 11:02 PM
    schmittie123

schmittie123 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Basically stock
    I first added Moly because that was the only friction modifier I knew of at the time, but turns out Tungsten Disulfide is chemically more stable with all of the common engine materials (brass, copper, aluminum, alloys, iron etc.). WS2 also handles heat better and has a much lower coefficient of friction than that of molybdenum.
    So if anyone does decide to use an additive, there is no real reason to add molybdenum if you're able to get WS2.

And Rujack, do you have an electronic rear diff? My fj has the factory toyota rear electric locker which still works like it should with additives. Im not sure if it has clutches or how it works really...

Products Discussed in

To Top