1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To lock or not to lock on 4x4 ???

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Toners68, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 16, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    Toners68

Toners68 [OP] Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma tc lt fox 2.5
    Volont cold intake,jba headers, power aid body spacer,flowmaster,grill craft grill, trd bronze wheels, 295/70r/16 bfgs, total chaous long travel kit, fox shocks 2.5 with resies, glass works all around, baja tire mounting kit for bed
    Im curently building my daliy driver into a desert runner, should i put lockers on it if i have 4x4 ???

2. Apr 16, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Probably not going to hurt you...except in the wallet. If you are thinkin about regearing then that is the time to do it.

3. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    Toners68

Toners68 [OP] Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma tc lt fox 2.5
    Volont cold intake,jba headers, power aid body spacer,flowmaster,grill craft grill, trd bronze wheels, 295/70r/16 bfgs, total chaous long travel kit, fox shocks 2.5 with resies, glass works all around, baja tire mounting kit for bed
    thanks. i dont think i will be regearing anytime soon, would i have to regear if i supercharge?

4. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Sand does not need lockers, as lower air pressure in tires will provide the traction, or floatation. Go to 15 psi for most situations if you start digging into sand... 10 psi if you are already stuck or if you have 3 ply or mud terrain tires.

A rear locker will aid greatly for steep hill climbs with rocks or ruts... that could cause one rear tire to be off the ground... As you may know, in normal 4WD if one tire in the front and/or one tire in the back is in the air, or in loose stuff... while the opposite tire is on firm ground... Only the useless tire(s) in the air will spin, and you stop moving. This is normal 'open differential' action.

A locked differential will divide power equally between the two tires on that axle... the one in the air rotates the same as the one on firm ground... You move ahead!

Unlock when you are out of trouble so you can steer easily (the purpose of open differentials, as tires need to rotate at different speeds when turning and a locker won't allow that.

Products Discussed in

To Top