1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Today's throwout bearing experience...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AtomicAge, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    AtomicAge

AtomicAge [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AA
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2008 BLACK 6spd 4x4 AC
    Cooper Discoverer ST's 265/75/16, Eagle 186 16x8's, 3" Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, + more... Still sitting in the box: LR UCAs
    So, my 2008 6spd developed the cricket noise (throwout bearing). I made an appointment for today a couple weeks ago to have them do an oil change and fix the clutch, even referenced the 0365-TSB (I wanted to make sure they knew exactly what was wrong, and that they had the parts in stock). They told me no problem.

After a few hours, my service rep came to tell me that, yes, it is the throwout bearing, and that it's no longer covered under my 3/36 warranty because my truck is at 37,000. I tell her that it's covered under the 60k. She argues a little to tell me there's nothing that she can do, so I break out my TSB printout, and show her that my truck is at 37,000... and 42 months. Still covered under the TSB.

A few back and forth, and now I'm talking to one of the techs who is telling me their TSB shows them specific VINs that are effected and covered under the TSB. I request a print out of what they have. He brings me the TSB (exactly the same as the one I've printed from here), and no shit, it has VINs listed. I ended up talking to them for awhile, and they basically, off record, agreed that mine should be covered. My sales rep gives me Toyota Corp's number to call. At this point, I'm pissed that I burned a vacation day, and that the only thing that I'm walking out with is an inflated bill for an oil change.

On the way out, the manager gives me my key, and asks if everything was okay, and that I was satisfied. I tell her all the information, and she tells me before I call Toyota Corp, to give her a couple hours, and she'll call me. Ten minutes later, my phone rings, and she tells me to bring it in next week, and they'll take care of it, and give me a free loaner.

Needless to say, I'm rather pissed with the back and forth, but am happy with the end result (for now).

Now, if only they would fix the clutch pedal squeak and fan click.

2. May 31, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    well seems like you made out pretty good though! nice!

3. May 31, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2010DCSB4X4TRDORMGM
    See build thread.
    good they took care of you.

4. May 31, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    For your clutch pedal squeak... I had one that was driving me nuts. Kept putting off telling the dealer about it, but I finally had to or I'd go insane. Bottom line is, they replaced the pedal itself, all the pivot bushings (they were cracked), AND the clutch slave cylinder behind the pedal, as there was rust where there shouldn't have been.

Feels like a new truck and it didn't cost a dime. Give it a shot, especially if it's been squeaking for a long time.

To Top