1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tom Wood's Driveshaft Slip Yoke Greasing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Musubi3, May 19, 2022.

1. May 19, 2022 at 11:10 AM
    Musubi3

Musubi3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    To the point, for those of you that have a Tom Wood's driveshaft, consider separating and greasing the slip yoke on the driveshaft. Mine came with very little grease and after about 1K miles mine started to stick and cause felt "thuds" on stopping and accelerating from a stop. Removing the slip yoke and greasing completely solved the issue for me.

There are very similar threads for the stock driveshaft under searches for "slip yoke clunk" or "driveline clunk". It's not a new issue, but there wasn't a specific search result for Tom Wood's DS. To describe it, it felt as if there was something rolling around in the truck bed giving a thud on acceleration and another on coming to a complete stop. I thought maybe my trans was slipping a little. Fortunately this was an easy fix and took very little time.

Before you separate the slip yoke, reminder to mark both pieces so you can align them back in the same orientation. I believe they are balanced in the position you received them. I only needed to remove the lower flange. Torque spec for the bolts are 65 ft-lb when installing back.

Below is a picture of the slip yoke portion. The Blue is NOT grease. It's a paint of some sort. When I separated the slip yoke, it was pretty darn dry of grease inside and out. Moving the yoke back and forth in my hands felt sticky.

Tom Wood's does include a grease fitting for this slip yoke. When I removed the yoke, I attached my grease gun to the fitting and the grease only came out from one spot, near the edge/rim of the yoke, which seems a bit insufficient.

Anyway, created a thread just for this FYI.
    [​IMG]

2. May 19, 2022 at 1:11 PM
    pearing

pearing Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 quadcab
    Haven't experienced that but... I think I took it apart and greased it before I installed it. Thanks for the page and insight!

Musubi3[OP] likes this.
  3. May 20, 2022 at 4:14 AM
    Marc70

Marc70 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc70
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4.0L, 6MT
    2” lift, ARB front bumper, steel rear bumper, Trail Gear weld-on sliders, aFe cai, 2lo kit, air bag suspension, RA Motorsports AL skid plates
    Just did mine again (OEM, not TW). Anyways I’m pretty sure I’ve read you need to use lithium based grease.

4. Jun 23, 2022 at 6:41 PM
    Musubi3

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
  5. Jun 25, 2022 at 12:54 AM
    muddog321

muddog321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DCSB 4wd TRD w/e-locker Pyrite Mica
    TW 1-piece driveshaft with 1310 u-joints All Pro and Budbuilt skid plates OME Dakar rear springs 3" with 5100 5100 front set at 1.75" (3rd groove up) with stock springs Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16 2018 TRD Offroad wheels 16x7J with +25mm offset Powerstop rotors with Z36 pads and rebuilt with OEM caliper kit Complete rebuilt rear brakes drums, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders Rebuilt rear and all wheel bearings front /rear Yukon 3.73 ring/pinion rebuild Denso 130A rebuilt alternator AGM 24F Battery New OEM idlers and tensioner assembly New AC compressor New PS hose and flushed Walker SS Quiet Flow muffler Denso Iridium long life plugs #3421 (SK20HR11) OEM coolant, cap, and thermostat NAPA CV axles and new seals ECGS bushing Rhino front guard Shortened mud flaps Alziria Black Tail Lights Nilight Headlights X-Bull Traction Boards Maaco full single stage paint job 2023 Nat CV to Knuckle seals 710573 New SKF wheel bearings/hubs BR930978 in 2024
    I just use the Quicksilver (Mercury) grease with PTFE in the grease gun (large tube) or they have the small grease gun tubes and shoot the zerk and apply light amount on that exposed part of the shaft so works same without pulling apart. Use on the other u-joints also. Found when doing my Merc 150 prop shaft splines where prop attaches every 100 hours as had to pull off to drain the gear oil (yes boats get gear oil every 100 hours). Used several types of waterproof grease and the full syn type also on my boat trailer wheel bearing (red or blue or black) and they would melt out and make a mess.
    Amazon.com: Quicksilver 802863Q1 2-4-C Marine Grease/Lubricant with PTFE, 14-Ounce Cartridge : Automotive

As a side comment if you have a shaft too long that slip yoke could jam at the end of where the splines are (blue in pic) so when installed about 1.5 inches or so of splines should be visible.
    How much of my spline should be showing? – Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts (4xshaft.com)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Musubi3[OP] and Marc70 like this.
  6. Aug 25, 2022 at 12:12 PM
    Musubi3

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    Ever since switching to this Ford PTFE I haven't had my issue return. So it seems obvious now that that my original marine grease was inappropriate and to use a grease with PTFE in it. Maybe Tom Woods did use PTFE originally, but just not enough? Whatever the case, my recommendation would be to wipe off whatever it comes with and apply a generous amount of new PTFE grease. This will help avoid having to remove it later to address an issue like mine. Anyway, just an FYI for people switching to Tom Woods driveshafts...which has been amazing by the way.

7. Aug 25, 2022 at 12:39 PM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    I did research into this a while back when I had to service my OEM slip joint. It seemed the Ford XG-8 compound and Loctite's LOC51048 Moly Paste were the go to choices. I opted for the moly paste at the time.

Some 18-20 months later I do have a slight 'driveline clunk' starting to happen on my truck. I need to take it back apart and confirm if thats the issue or not. Could be I used too little (was worried about 'hydrolocking' the joint), but it also could be something else all together like my worn out rear shock mounts.

As a side note Im surprised to see / never noticed that theres no boot over the TW slip joint.

Musubi3[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 22, 2024 at 1:41 PM
    dk_crew

dk_crew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
  9. Apr 22, 2024 at 1:46 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    so for this high cost of it being made on a bench they’re not taking 5 seconds to put the right grease new

10. Apr 22, 2024 at 1:53 PM
    Musubi3

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    Hey Dave, before you slide the slip yoke out, make sure you mark the alignment of how the yoke went in. You'll need it to slide back in the same exact way/position. The DS was balanced just how it is from the shop. The slip yoke will slide out, but before sliding all the way out, there will be some resistance. Like a notch or something it needs to overcome. Overall, easy stuff. I've done this several times for various reasons.

I too just addressed my U-Joints. I replaced all of them. I was getting crunching and clicking from the destroyed needle bearings that I wasn't greasing often enough.
    Also, if you ever take apart the double cardan joint, make sure those parts go back into the same position as well, as that is the way they were balanced.

SR-71A and dk_crew[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Apr 22, 2024 at 2:01 PM
    dk_crew

dk_crew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
    Awesome -- thanks! I'll be sure to mark it. I did think Sunday when I was under there the bell resonated outward from that slip yoke so this makes sense. fingers crossed.

12. Apr 22, 2024 at 2:24 PM

545 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab
    Well they aren’t making them anymore anyways

13. Apr 23, 2024 at 8:46 AM
    Marc70

Marc70 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc70
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4.0L, 6MT
    2” lift, ARB front bumper, steel rear bumper, Trail Gear weld-on sliders, aFe cai, 2lo kit, air bag suspension, RA Motorsports AL skid plates

Products Discussed in

To Top