1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by pittsburgh_matt, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Feb 7, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    So what do you use if you actually want security for the bed? Soft covers are out for me because they are too easy to cut. Looking at retractables. Very interested in the RollBak so far. Not 100% water proof according to some, but secure with a locking tailgate. (no top mounted latch or lock, all under the cover, flush mount)

2. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    I'm in the same boat as you. I had looked at the Peragon, but after reading some posts on here, it seems it's pretty crappy. I was looking at the RollBak, but dropping almost $1K on a bed cover that leaks isn't a strong selling point to me. I've also looked at the BakFlip. I don't even know if they make a cover for what we want.

I want a bed cover that:
    • Locks and is secure.
    • Is weatherproof in case I need to carry something large out of the elements.
    • Can easily retract or fold up out of the way when I have to load something big/tall into the bed.

Does anyone have suggestions? Do they make such a thing?

3. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Take a look at Truck Covers USA

http://www.truckcoversusa.com/

4. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    BeardedWeirdo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
  5. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Yes, but with the requirements you have there aren't many out there that live up to them. Edrin55 just picked one up a few weeks ago, I was looking at it and it is VERY impressive.

I have the Extang Tuff Tonno and it is good, however if I were to ever get another cover again I will go all out for one of th Truck Cover USA ones.

6. Feb 7, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    olgzr

olgzr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denton, Tx
    Has anyone noticed if the mileage improved with the bed cover due to better aerodynamics?

7. Feb 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    But is the Truck Cover USA actually weatherproof? Because they all say that they are weatherproof.

8. Feb 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    From what Ron said, nothing got in when it rained here. I don't own one but maybe Ron will come in with a response.

9. Feb 7, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab

No change here. Nothing noticable anyway

10. Feb 7, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    Edrin55

Edrin55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Chula Vista, CA (Eastlake)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Magnetic Gray TRD Sport Access Cab
    Avid Off Road Light Bar Line-X'd, Black Sand Pearl Hood Scoope, Truck Covers USA metal roll up bed cover, Thule Custom lockable light bar, TRD Sport Exhaust, Line-X'd TRD skid plate, Slee Off Road Sliders, Upgraded 3.5" Rearview Mirror/Monitor, Anytime Foglight Mod. (TY Jeff), Smoked Foglights, SilverStar Headlight & Foglight Bulbs, Tinted windows all around, Vent visors, Bed mat with security mod, Wet Okoles front & back, Race/Sport Pedals, Tailgate Clamps, PopNLcok 5300 Tailgate Lock, All weather mats, Helo 17x8 Hubcentric Rims & BFG All Terrain 265/70/17, Blisteins 5100's all around with mini leaf add to the rears, AFE Pro Dry drop in filter, Go Rhino Hitch Step, TRD License Plate Frames and Tire Valve Covers. GrillCraft MX Mesh upper and lower grills with "old school TOYOTA" FJ emblem, Cobra CB Radio, Firestick CB Antenna with custom mount.
    I commute 27 miles one way to work everyday. Before I had the bed cover I was getting exactly 105 miles to a quater tank of gas for the past 6 months. Since I have installed the cover I am now getting 120+ miles. Personally, just for that fact, Im glad I spent extra $$$ for this cover.

As you guys know it has been raining very had these last few weeks in southern Cali. I have boxes, papers, and electronics in the back of my truck. Up to now there isnt one speck or H20 on them. This cover goes over the bed caps and uses the bed rail system. It even has its own draining system. All I can say is this cover rocks!!! "You get what you pay for!"

Done Matt, Thanks my TW Bro! This cover is one Tuff Mother on the trails too:

[​IMG]

Toynado likes this.
  11. Feb 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Awesome! I may have to hold off and get that one. Thanks!

12. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    lowzone

lowzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM AC 2.7L 5 spd SR5
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....
    looks good. i personally like bed covers that go to the ends of the side panels. Just helps shed water off the truck and less of a chance of it going inside. anyone ever have a Berlin tilting cover??? that and the Tonno Pro are my two soft cover choices....i use my trucks to haul printed paper goods so it has to be dry inside.

13. Feb 27, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    pauldotcom

pauldotcom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    OEM Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", Rear 1" block, TRD 17' Wheels
    Does anyone have pics of the siderail on the Extang Trifecta? I agree, I like the look of the cover going over the side rails much better. Thanks.

14. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Looks exactly like the Access Literider I have on mine.

15. Apr 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    Scorn

Scorn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRS Sport Dbl Cab
    I was reading on Auto Anythings site and it states that the bed rail that fits over the bed has to be cut! Here is the info.

Features

• The Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover is the fastest and easiest bed cover on the track
    Notes

• Trucks with bed caps: the Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover fits all factory and most non-factory plastic bed caps. The Trifecta will not fit aluminum or stainless steel bed caps.
    • Trucks with bed liners: the Extang Trifecta fits all sprayed-on and under-the-rail bed liners. It will not fit over-the-rail bed liners without first cutting notches into the liner.

16. Apr 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    Rossi396

Rossi396 Rossi396

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Off Road DCSB
    I'm looking at this same tonneau for my truck and I actually called Auto Anything previously about this note. It refers to trucks that have a liner that doesn't provide access to the underside of the bed rail. I think on our trucks there's enough area directly under the cargo rail system.

Anyone here have one and care to weigh in on this...? I'd also like to know if the bed extender can be used without removing the cleats on this tonneau...Anybody have that setup?

Regards,

Rossi

• Trucks with bed liners: the Extang Trifecta fits all sprayed-on and under-the-rail bed liners. It will not fit over-the-rail bed liners without first cutting notches into the liner.

17. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Here's a better idea: Call Luke at Truckalterations.com and get an Access brand cover (Literider in my case) for MUCH cheaper than Autoanything.

18. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:

To use the bed cargo divider after installing my Access LE I just lopped 1" off each end of the crossbar and it fits great. I also flipped the mounting brackets "upside down" so the tightening knobs didn't press against the tonneau and I have full use of both now.

And definitely check out Truck Alterations above... great prices and awesome service.

[​IMG]

19. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    Rossi396

Rossi396 Rossi396

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Off Road DCSB
    Thanks for the link to the website. I've bookmarked it.

I really had my mind made up on a folding cover. The roll-ups look easier than the old snap style I had on my Sonoma, but I'm still not sold on them.

I think I'm going to buy the Extang Trifecta unless someone here says that I can't use it with a bed extender...??:confused:

Rossi

20. Apr 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    I don't see why not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Trifecta clamps right on to the OEM bedrails I think. If not you could get the Torza. It def clamps right on to the OEM rails.

I got the TorzaTop... very similar to Trifecta but better IMO since the clamp aren't springloaded (therefore has less flex for wandering hands.) They also nicely tuck away so you have more room for cargo. Here's is a pic of the rails with it installed:
    [​IMG]

For full review and more pics click here.

Products Discussed in

To Top