1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tool Question....

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Pster, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Jul 9, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    Pster

Pster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
  2. Jul 9, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 :POOPCORN: Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5, 88 SR5 PU, 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    Ok, the only problem I see with that is the speed may be too slow. It won't be the greatest for the roughing portion of the project but I think it will still work. It will do great for the finishing part with the higher grit sand paper. I say give it a shot. If anything, you will have a killer shine on the taco with that!!

3. Jul 9, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    That was my thought. I can find one with RPM 600-3000 I think. Really one should let the grit paper do as much of the work as possible. And when I'm done, I can use it to wax and polish the Taco 'till the Shit won't Stick.

4. Jul 9, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
  5. Jul 9, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Get some 36 grit sand paper for that thing and it will clean off whatever you are working on :D Including skin, blue jeans, gloves, etc...

6. Jul 11, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    I ended up getting a DeWalt grinder at Lowes on sale for $129. I was not familiar with grinders but found that you could take off the shroud and use it to sand/polish flat as well as grind at an angle. I bought a 4 1/2" backer plate with a recessed cap nut and some 36 Grit metal grinding paper (very heavy and thick, I think its silicone oxide or aluminum oxide). If this thing doesn't clean it up nice, I'm taken it to the rifle range....

7. Jul 11, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    RCBS

RCBS "Cause I'm mighty proud of that ragged old flag."

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    06 Main Runner OR
  8. Jul 11, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Yep, I'm trying to find the right sanding attachment for it now....too many choices. Need to find a center recessed wheel that I can thread right onto it. 36 grit may be too rough!

9. Jul 11, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Yes!!!! I found the right abrasive. The 36 Grit was MUCH too rough. I bought one of those rust/paint stripped dark gray spongy looking things and it took the scale right off without digging into the steel. This benchtop is going to look awesome when I finish it. It looks just like stainless after I get through with it. Then I am going to concentrate on putting a design of swirls into it. YES!!!!
    :woot::bananadance::thumbsup::woot::bananadance::thumbsup:

10. Jul 13, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 :POOPCORN: Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5, 88 SR5 PU, 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    Pic request!

11. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Workin on it! I had to move it onto the rear patio as it was throwing out a little too much black dust in the garage. I'll post pics as soon as it is finished!! If ya likes ta grind, this is the project for you!!!!!

To Top