1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Top 10……Poverty in Our Major Cities

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Packman73, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    As much as I love the Lincoln quote above, it wasn't made by Abe Lincoln. It was made by Rev. William J. H. Boetcker.

While I realize Wikipedia isn't necessarily the most reliable source, it is the best summary of the fact that Abe didn't say it and Boetcker did. I found many other sites that cited the same information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._H._Boetcker

2. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Great catch!

3. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Bingo. The labor unions in the Northeast are a parasites that are killing their host.

On a similar vain, let see who can find the poorest zip code in America. The answer has been the same location for the last 30 years or so too. Let's see who can get it.

4. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Andover, MA

5. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I vehemently disagree. Look at the corporate tax rates (and taxes in general) in those areas; how they relate to the migration of business over the years; and then look who taxed them out (Democrats).
    Mismanagement can be applied to GM, Ford, etc. but you can not tell me all manufacturing in the northeast was mismanaged- it didn't happen.
    Global competition? Yeah, maybe some fell to global competition because it's hard to compete when you're paying the highest corporate tax on the planet.

6. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:19 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    A rose by any other name...:rolleyes:

7. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    I'll leave you guys with some words of wisdom;

If you're young and not liberal, you don't have a heart.

If you're old and not conservative, you don't have a brain.

8. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I don't think the IRS zip code is the poorest in the nation... unless you are referring to the national debt.

9. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    We make stuff in Philly. Nabisco bakes cookies! That's really about it, though.:(

10. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    I don't know if I'm right. I just took a shot in hopes of winning some sort of prize!

Source

11. Feb 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    awesome!

12. Feb 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    :laugh:

:woot: :woot:

13. Feb 18, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    That's cool, we can disagree. I'm all for a little debating. But here's the thing. If taxation means an automatic failure of a state's economy, how do you explain California? This state is the 5th largest economy in the world, and as such is a bigger economy than the other 49 states combined. Yet it has not only extremely high corporate tax, but income tax as well. 1/3rd of my paycheck is gone immediately to taxes every week. Yet the state is still a global powerhouse despite now having a HUGE deficit. So its obvious to me that taxes are not an accurate way of determining the success of any given state. The Republican motto seems to be no taxation, and no regulation. Well, unfortunately you have to have taxes or the country goes broke and you have to have regulation or else we wind up in a recession caused by an unregulated financial industry.

As far as Unions, Car makers did this to themselves. There is nothing wrong with Unions. For decades workers got good benefits,retirements, and security. These companies never evaluated the long-term effect these allowances would eventually have. What started out as very good treatment of employees turned into a huge burden that drained their competitive edge and profit margins.

14. Feb 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    We need a new political party. Let's call it The American Party and base it on common sense, not Liberalism or Conservatism. Both Republicans and Democrats have had a roll in this mess, and yet they are the only real choices come election day. What are we supposed to do? The Obama, Pelosi, Reid spending bill is not the answer. They may call it a "stimulus", but the only thing it will stimulate is their Washington power grab. Sorry for the rant. I'm just pissed.:mad:

15. Feb 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    :eek:

Really? Wow...

I'm sure the companies evaluated the long-term effects... Do you really think they're THAT dumb? It would eat away at profits to give into unions, so I guarantee they looked into the long term... If the company doesn't eventually concede, there will be a strike. It's a big game... The company vs. the union... whoever breaks first, loses...

Unions are poison in this country. Let's look at the airline unions too eh? Not too many profitable airlines anymore, eh?

16. Feb 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Stop drinking the Kool-Aid...

17. Feb 18, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    The airlines screwed themselves by giving in too much to the unions. I used to go into all of the airlines (most of which are gone, Eastern, Pan AM) and see 5 guys standing around doing the work of one, becayse the union said that he has to do one thing and he does another and that one scratches his ass until someone goes to take a crap. Unions are a great idea, but some of them really went down the wrong path.

Unions are certainly not to blame for all of the problems that these companies face, but some of the contracts that they forced through were ludicrous.

18. Feb 18, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Not sure if those companies evaluated the long term implications of being overly generous with unions. Unfortunately in the US, long term effects are seldom studied because simply put- by the time the shit hits the fan, those that made the choice will be long gone. Additionally, back in the 50's and 60's when these Unions got these bonuses, the US auto industry was a very different animal, having a virtual monopoly in North America. Their market share was immense. Making a decision back then would've been much easier to do given that I'd bet these guys had no clue that those crappy little Japanese cars in California would overtake them someday.

Now I'm not totally rosy with Unions. My Dad was an HR manager at a small furniture plant that didn't have a Union. We came home one day to find nails all up and down our gravel driveway. They made his life hell trying to get into that plant and their means to do so were unscrupulous. Unions at one time were highly regarded. But I'm not so sure about that now.

Products Discussed in

To Top