1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Topher's build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by presto, Nov 21, 2013.

1. May 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    Sounds like fun, it's annoying how fast it dries to, you can only mix such small amounts.

2. May 5, 2014 at 12:33 AM
    presto

presto [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Very fun.. went from a full week of grinding to a full week of sanding(this week) haha.. hopefully i don't run out of sand paper.
    Ive been doing big batches because i had so much area to fill in. But I have definitely wasted a good amount from it drying out on me. The next batches will be small though because i just need to do little touch up areas.

the one good thing that will come out of this is that my truck will get a nice wash after I'm 100% done. I think its been a few years since I've given her a wash haha.

Edit: After staring at the picture in my sig for a few minutes I've decided i need to get rid of that ugly ass tire carrier... ill have to ratchet strap my spare down in my bed some how until i can get my BAMF bed rack.. I wish i could use that square tubing for something.. such a waste.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  3. May 6, 2014 at 12:22 AM
    presto

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    got my power steering flush accomplished today.. The past 2 weeks I've been knocking all the stuff off my list. i was slacking for way too long lol. Also protected my Air filter toob from water being kicked up by my tire when it rains. ill take pictures 2m but i basically zip tied a piece of black plastic up there. came out a lot better than i thought actually. i used these sticky zip tie mounts. Its temporary till i get my snorkel.

Edit:
    also unbolted my tire carrier thing. Cant wait to get it off.. scrap metal guy is gonna be super happy lol.
    Ill have pics of that 2m as well.

4. May 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    johnboyTRD

johnboyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Full ome lift, nitro charger sports all 4 corners (rear shocks relocated), Dakar pack w/ AAL, 882 coils, diff drop, toytec 1" shackles, trail gear low profile front bumper, Tuff Stuff winch, bamf sliders, RAT skids, BAMF Bed Rack, Tepui Kukenam RTT, RAT rear bumper,

I might have use for some scrap like that. I want to build a bed rack soon, possible rtt I'm future, but have no idea how to weld. Will need some stuff to practice on :) did you already order the rack/tire carrier from jerry? Interested to see it.

5. May 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Full ome lift, nitro charger sports all 4 corners (rear shocks relocated), Dakar pack w/ AAL, 882 coils, diff drop, toytec 1" shackles, trail gear low profile front bumper, Tuff Stuff winch, bamf sliders, RAT skids, BAMF Bed Rack, Tepui Kukenam RTT, RAT rear bumper,
    Oh man, digging the build. Just read through it all. Brave of you to chop the bed like that haha. Looks great. I am subbed btw, and look forward to moar.

6. May 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM
    presto

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Thanks bro i read through yours yesterday. That was one of the first things i wanted to do haha. I finally forced myself to just do it by ordering a rear bumper that was matched to the bed bob.

That soft top looks badass btw.

Ok well ill save some scrap for ya. Do you have a welder? i have a POS harbor freight welder ATM.. (doesn't really work..) Im thinking about picking up a lincoln weld pak 140hd one of these days. I think that id be able to lay down some decent beads if i had the right equipment. Its all just practice and finding comfortable positions IMO.
    Haven't ordered the bed rack yet but its coming up real soon on my list of things to get.

7. May 7, 2014 at 6:33 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    [ QUOTE=presto;8618722]i didnt realize you were so close either haha.. thanks. Yea bro just let me know. I get off work around 430 so I'm pretty much free after that everyday. Have you seen that ARB breather kit? Looks pretty sweet IMO. I figure by the time i make the breather how i want, it will end up around the same price. Might have to jerry rig something until i can put funds towards that though haha.

You should consider doing a breather for not only the rear diff but the trans, tcase, and front diff as well.[/QUOTE]

Oh dang yeah that arb package looks nice. A lot of coin though. I don't plan on getting to deep in water in the near future, but maybe enough to submerge diff. Front has a breather up to engine compartment, so just need the rear for now. Can probably do that for less than $20.

Thanks for Savin some scrap, I don't have a welder right now, and probably won't for a few months. Blew my allowance in advance for campin/wheeling season... Bumper, sliders and spacers set me back a bit :)

I'm guessing my rack will be a pretty easy build. I'll be using it for just the spare, hi lift and shovel for now. Thinking of relocating the spare tire pulley thing to the underside of rack too... After that I plan on building a rear bumper with swing out.

Are you up in the city? I live south of San Jose, and prob wouldn't be able to do much on the weekdays, but maybe we can sync up on a sat or sun.

8. May 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    What did you use to cut your bed side, behind the wheel well up? Noob question maybe but.. Jw. Really thinking of doing this when I go for a high clearance bumper

9. May 8, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    presto

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    I'm pretty good with a grinder after using one for about 6 years. That's what I use to cut all my metal haha.. I have a small cutting torch setup tho if needed.

10. May 9, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Oh crazy, haha. I'll ask more questions if I end up having the courage to go that route.

11. May 9, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
  12. May 9, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    presto

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    yea bro ask away. Its actually pretty easy and probably would take no more than an hour or 2.

pretty sweet build so far. I need to check out the 1st gen build section a little more.

13. May 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    presto

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    [​IMG]
    got these in yesterday. Wasn't 100% happy with the fitment. They will work though.
    Got word that my total chaos BJ removal tool, and BeeRadd's hood lighting kit all shipped out this weekend :D. Hopefully my king shocks will ship out by thursday so i can get them installed the week after next.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  14. May 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM
    presto

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there was light..

Just found out Jerry is booked till mid June. Glad i emailed him when i did.

15. May 13, 2014 at 7:38 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Hey, let's throw those uca's in on the 24th. I'll be free. Plan on diff breather mod too...

16. May 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Here is the way I'm gonna do mine, using the stock filter: http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/index.php?article=86

Gonna order the union part this week, want me to pick one up for you?

Edit, I found them available for sale here: http://www.toyotatrdparts.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=-123

Edit 2, shipping is $15.00 alone for two, lol. Gonna search for a better deal.

Edit 3, this one looks to be the right p/n and $18-19.00 total for qty 2. http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~union~no~4~90404-51026.html

Lmk if you want me to add one for you onto my order, planning to place tomorrow.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  17. May 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    presto

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Pretty sure we can just go to Home Depot and get a brass barbed fitting and a pipe clamp. We will just bring a wrench with us and take the breather off in the parking lot so we can go match the threads.
    Less than 5$ ea.
    Up to you though if you wanna get the Toyota part lol..
    There is a Home Depot 5 minutes from my house. Also several auto stores within walking distance lol.

18. May 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    presto

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    couple of super light weight flexing pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that i look at it i think if i woulda had my 10" shocks in the back then i woulda been able to go up even further. Plus i coulda air'd my tires down lol..

19. May 13, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:

I'm game for that. We'll just make it up as we go. 24th good? I'm sure you are amped to get those uca's goin' and I want to learn how. Btw picked up my driver side door lock actuator from a part out on here. I think it was like $30 shipped. Mebee we can do my steering rack bushings if time permits.

20. May 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    presto

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Yep 24th is cool. I was a plumber for almost 6 years so i should know what I'm doing. lol.. Yea definitely want to get those UCA's on. Been running for too long w/o them or an alignment. Nice i will have to search for someone on here who has an actuator as well. it sucks having to lock the passenger door by hand. Yea we can check those out to. Pretty sure those aren't very hard either.

To Top