1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Topper while towing

Discussion in 'Towing' started by f86sabjf, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Oct 8, 2020 at 3:59 PM
    f86sabjf

f86sabjf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Deltona, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Trd sport
    We are looking into a Forest river ibex 19qbs . I’m thinking about a topper for everyday usage. My questions is how much is it in your way with a travel trailer when backing etc...
    Also does a topper help block the frontage area and help with mileage at all? This looks to be the perfect little camper for just me and the wife.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/ibex/19QBS/5410

2. Oct 8, 2020 at 6:03 PM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    For the first part of question, it doesn't' bother me. But I've towed since 1977, a lot. Second part yes, maybe. I towed my T@b 320 Boondock a couple thousand miles through the Smokies last year. I did it without my topper because it was on order. A couple weeks later after receiving my topper I made another almost identical trip. With the topper I picked up about 2.5 mpg. I have a ARE MX which is a "mid highrise". whether a cab high helps I cant say.

f86sabjf[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 8, 2020 at 8:26 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    A camper shell will make no difference as far as visual while towing. To back up you need to use your side mirrors. The shell does not block your vision. To see what behind your trailer again you use your side mirrors. Bottom line the shell is not in your way at all.
    The shell may or may not help gas mileage. It depends on many factors'. I think any improvement in mpg if any will be minimal. A shell adds weight to your truck which may cause a small reduction in mpg.
    No matter what, you are going to get crappy mileage while towing so getting a shell really won’t make much difference.
    I’ve always had a shell on my trucks and tow a boat and a trailer. While towing either my boat or trailer I just don’t notice that the shell is there.
    Just get your shell, tow the trailer and have fun.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    f86sabjf[OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 9, 2020 at 4:06 AM
    Jimiller5

Jimiller5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover running boards Lance 1475
    If you are concerned about visibility, you might want to consider a tonneau cover. I have a three piece hard cover which folds up for accessibility and keeps things dry and secure in the bed. I had a topper on a previous truck and it is much easier to access things with the cover. A covers also less weight.

f86sabjf[OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 9, 2020 at 4:15 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Think about a soft topper. I have had caps on all my trucks. This soft topper has way more advantages than disadvantages.

f86sabjf[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 9, 2020 at 10:18 PM
    TacoTrooper

TacoTrooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Double Cab 6-spd manual
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 6-spd manual
    I agree with others that it doesn't cause much of an issue as you primarily use your mirrors when reversing; I do find that when you are wanting to put the trailer in a specific location (like returning to its parking spot at home), it could be hardly to be able to see out the back window to see the angle the trailer is from the truck, but this is easily overcome by tipping your head out the window too.

I doubt it helps with mileage; negligible at best as the trailer is a big wind block; I didn't notice any change in mileage when I first put on my canopy.

f86sabjf[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top