1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

torque wrench from walmart

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kinkrider101, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Dec 21, 2009 at 4:53 PM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
    does any body have the torque wrench from wallmart. I dont know if it has reached the setting of torque, it makes a clicking noise but doesnt feel like it is at the setting.

2. Dec 21, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    How many ft pounds are you setting it at?

3. Dec 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I think you problem started with tool shopping at Walmart...

4. Dec 21, 2009 at 5:06 PM
    dorkman

dorkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    At 82ftlb for the rims it feels like it and clicks, at lower settings around 25 -40ft lbs for diff/transfer case it feels like its still got a long way to go, but the bar is a good 20inches so theres a lot of torque on that nut.

Same with the small one for the spark plugs, 15ftlbs feels like a lot.

5. Dec 21, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    kinkrider101

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
  6. Dec 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    You should feel that, on my wrench it doesn't feel like anything or click good at a lower ft pound settings. But at 80 ft pounds a can feel it click loud.

I wonder if It's off, from the factory. Maybe return it? Or test it compared to another torque wrench. I also wonder if it just doesn't click good like the others but still gives a good torque.

7. Dec 21, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    kinkrider101

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
    it goes staight then clicks it feels likeit shifts up a little bit

8. Dec 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    It's probably fine.

When mine clicks, you can barely feel it move - but you can feel the *click* through the handle. At 80 lbs, it should be a very definite *click*. Like dorkman said... you're putting more torque on the nut/bolt than you realize because the handle on the torque wrench is so long. Put a normal wrench/ratchet on the same nut/bolt after you tighten it with the torque wrench and try to move it farther and it'll feel a lot tighter.

But... if you have doubts, borrow someone else's torque wrench and compare the two like BakoTruck said.

9. Dec 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    oh man don't ever buy a torque wrench from walmart. they don't come in a case. they are just plastic cased with the torque wrench bottom exposed...meaning people test them, mess with them and ruin them.
    go to harbor freight and get a good one. i got one for $12 that goes up to 150lbs of torque.

10. Dec 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    X2, Got mine for $12 as well, came with a nice sturdy double walled plastic case. It goes to your desired torque setting more or less. Not exactly a precision tool, but for 12 bucks it does its job damn well.

My only complaint is that it doesn't like to lock.

IMHO wheel lug torque's not too big of a deal seeing as I used to just go by feel.

11. Dec 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm a big fan of doing it by the book every time- but rims/wheels are one that really needs to be done right (at least on the 2nd gen trucks).

If the lugs aren't properly torqued the wheel can develop a nasty vibration.

12. Dec 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Like said above, the best thing to do is compare it to one you know works well. If you still have doubts about it, return it. Walmart is pretty good about returns/exchanges. You could stop off at a tire shop and probably get one of the guys there to compare the setting to one of theirs.

Products Discussed in

To Top