1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Torqued over torque settings.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Willybird, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Aug 7, 2022 at 10:35 AM
    Willybird

Willybird [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    1999 Red TRD
    raised
    So, I'm about to do the water pump/timing chain replacement on my 1999 3.4L Tacoma and I've come upon a big hurdle. In my Haynes manual, it says that the Crank pulley bolt takes 184 foot pounds of torque, but on the instruction sheet that came with the timing belt, it says that, starting at 1999, the torque should be set at 217 foot pounds. Anyone know which one is the right one? I'd read that, if that bolt isn't correctly torqued, the key that locates the crank angle wheel located behind the harmonic balancer pulley can get chewed up and produce incorrect readings to the crank angle sensor, so, getting it right kinda seems to matter. Anyone know which is right? Thanks as always, guys. You've saved me a ton of time and money in the past and it's really appreciated. Another question I have in relation to torque figures is, when I've watched youtube vids on this job, it seems everybody has to deal with a snapped nut or bolt somewhere in the proceedings. Since I don't want to take the torch to every single nut and bolt prior to trying to remove them, is it possible to use the torque setting in reverse to figure out if a bolt or nut is well and truly stuck? For instance, if a fan support bracket nut lists 22 inch pounds of torque when tightening, if I've hit it with, say, 30 inch pounds to try and remove it and it isn't budging, is that when it's time to break out the torch? How many inch pounds or foot pounds beyond the given torque setting for a bolt throws the red flag? And finally has anyone had any luck using the freezing penetrant sprays like Freeze-Off? I have a hunch my engine is going to be a challenge so, thanks again all!

2. Aug 7, 2022 at 10:38 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    I use 3 uga doogas. You'll be fine.

3. Aug 7, 2022 at 10:45 AM
    O'Silver_Taco

O'Silver_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    98 Dlx Sr5 ext AT Rwd
    3rz to 2Rz bebuilt block and new heads
    I've had good luck with Pb blaster, deep creep, let soak for hour or two...
    If I dont have satisfaction after soak, I use a little mini torch I got from harbor frieght.....never failed yet....
    Some of those would of broke without the heat....

Cant tell correct torque on that bolt......however be super careful when u seat that HB back on the KEY....things can go very wrong here.....
    New parts have tenancy to stick instead of slide..

4. Aug 7, 2022 at 10:46 AM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    No Torque wrenches only work in one Direction as far as I know.

One helper used a torque wrench as a breaker bar in reverse and broke it that is What I am going by.

kctmet likes this.
  5. Aug 7, 2022 at 12:00 PM
    ArizonaBrian

ArizonaBrian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Unless you're in the rust belt I think you're worrying too much about stuck bolts. Just go in and take it easy. use a hammer to tap your wrenches as needed and if something's binding up spray some penetrating oil in, work the bolt back in, spray some more penetrating oil, working back out and repeat as necessary until you can get it all the way out.

My truck is an 02 and proper torque for the crank is 217 lb. I can't tell you for sure on the 1999.

nagorb likes this.
  6. Aug 7, 2022 at 12:01 PM
    ArizonaBrian

ArizonaBrian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Some actually work in both directions. You would know if yours does as it's a selling point.

nagorb and Area51Runner like this.
  7. Aug 7, 2022 at 12:05 PM
    O'Silver_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    98 Dlx Sr5 ext AT Rwd
    The freeze off is for heavy rusted bolts, ones seized together......
    freeze it and instantly break it....think that is a napa product.....thats where I bought anyways......

And dont use a torque wrench to break anything, over torquing it will destroy its accuracy...

8. Aug 7, 2022 at 2:15 PM
    Willybird

Willybird [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    1999 Red TRD
    raised
    Since I didn't have the uga doogas to ft/Lb conversion table handy, I did a little exploring and found that the 3.4L V6 engine is idntified as the 5VZ engine and that requires the 217 ft/Lb torque setting. Since I also read somewhere that that poundage isn't going to stress that bolt or that crank it goes into at all, I'm going to be happy with the higher number even if it's "Wrong" since it doesn't look like it would hurt anything. Bad stuff only seems to happen at torque settings that are too low and the crank pulley/ harmonic balancer gets loose. As for the rest of my questions, I won't be using the torque wrench for determining if a bolt requires heat or cold prior to removing it. The heat won't hurt it in any case so, following some Blaster, if a bolt is still not coming off with a reasonable amount of yanking, I'll just hit it with the torch. If it snaps off in the block, I'll do my usual mig welded nut over the broken stub only this time, I might put Break free freezing spray on to start with. As always guys, your help is always appreciated. I'm guessing that I could probably fumble my way through but it sure goes easier when I've got the advice from everyone here to let me know the actual right way of doing things. Sure is faster as well!

9. Aug 7, 2022 at 2:24 PM
    O'Silver_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    98 Dlx Sr5 ext AT Rwd
    Your way over thinking it....I blast and then torch.....until boils out....
    they always give......always

In RC world we use red locktite on everything.....
    only safeway to break alloy fasteners.....is tip of solder iron (75w) and count to 10....
    works everytime...

10. Aug 7, 2022 at 2:44 PM
    super_white

super_white Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    The torque for the crank bolt is 217 ft. lbs. It also says it's a non-reusable part.

Attached Files:

MalinoisDad and TnShooter like this.
  11. Aug 7, 2022 at 2:56 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    My Toyota FSM says 217 ft/lbs & that's what I did (and I did reuse it, next time I'll replace it. :p :crapstorm:)

IIRC, 184 is for the older style bolt that has a separate washer. 217 is for the newer bolt with captive washer.

super_white likes this.
  12. Aug 7, 2022 at 6:46 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    Unless you're replacing the crank pulley/harmonic balancer I wouldn't put heat on that bolt. You'll likely damage the rubber.

treyus30 likes this.
  13. Aug 8, 2022 at 6:47 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    I double checked, 1 UggaDugg is 70-75#ft.

14. Aug 8, 2022 at 6:57 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Rule of thumb is you are supposed to follow any ugga duggas with 2-3 dats (eg dat dat dat). Especially in front of anyone watching.... for professionalism & dramatic effect.

Oh and dats are not to be confused with ratta tats. Ratta tats are the metric equivalent for ugga duggas.

Jakuku Pahwheenis likes this.
  15. Aug 8, 2022 at 7:09 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    so, your saying dats are dots and ugga duggas are dashes... or is it the other way around? I'm so confused.
    shopping_3a62d18d377ecda27c0a445f6cbc81f73d575429.png

treyus30 likes this.
  16. Aug 8, 2022 at 7:18 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Nope, ugga duggas, ratta tats, dats, etc only applies to impact tools. Your chart is for something else, that's electrical, for what I have no idea. All I know is if a hammer doesn't fix it, the problem is electrical, and it won't get fixed by me. I think there's a different chart for fire too.

17. Aug 8, 2022 at 8:49 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    This really is just for giggles and good on you for wanting it right. It's just one of those that requires about as tight as you can get it without drastic measures like jumping on it or hammering.
    Could prob. take a little of that though.
    It's a very forgiving bolt.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  18. Aug 8, 2022 at 9:06 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    BTW...Honda requires a high mass socket that helps taking it off.
    They're cheap at O'Reilly's

19. Aug 8, 2022 at 9:12 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    cruxofthebisquit likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top