1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Total Chaos bed stiffeners with Amp research bed extender

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nazlax10, Apr 4, 2017.

1. May 30, 2020 at 9:50 AM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    Question:

If I can slip these tubes to make the extender narrower to clear the stiffeners, why do I need to cut 2" off? I'm considering doing this, so I'm just trying to understand it ahead of time.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  2. Jun 8, 2020 at 3:29 AM
    nazlax10

nazlax10 [OP] Check out my build thread for any products used!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Toyota Rav4 LE... At least it's a Toyota
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/nazlax10s-build.408318/
    It's been awhile since I did this and I don't even have the truck anymore (which is also why I'm responding so late haha). But if I remember right mine wasn't adjustable width wise. If yours is then you should be good. You will need to add some spacers to allow the extender to fold inside the stiffeners but other than that it should work out.

3. Jun 8, 2020 at 5:39 PM
    RedWings44

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I haven't attempted it yet, but just trying to make sure I know what I'm in for.

4. Jul 16, 2020 at 10:19 PM
    RedWings44

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I just finally completed this on my 3rd gen with the factory bed extender. I did not have to cut anything and she fit! But barely.

That being said, there are a couple of things to note:

The screws holding the joint clamps together are facing inward and get pretty close when the extender is narrowed up. The screws are a T20 torx head and I could not get the rachet in after narrowing up the extender. Hand tight won't do in this case because the screws are hard to turn without proper leverage and need to be fully in for the clamps to work. Unfortunately you also cannot just reverse the clamps to get the screws facing outward. The way I got these together was with a T20 drill bit and a 1/4" wrench to turn the bit.

It fits, barely and with some rub on the top of the bed stiffeners. However it's not a lot and honestly provides a little extra security to keep that from bouncing over bumps. 20200716_202302.jpg 20200716_202245.jpg

I could trim down the plastic, but I figure it'll wear over time and not enough to cause any issues to the extender. I'll just have to keep an eye on the paint as a just in case, but I don't anticipate many issues, if any.

Also, keep in mind that the straps that attach to the tailgate latches will be a bit tighter when attached. But they still reached no problem.

Thank you for the idea and how to, OP!

BlueFourMike and Norton like this.
  5. Jul 19, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    nazlax10

nazlax10 [OP] Check out my build thread for any products used!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Toyota Rav4 LE... At least it's a Toyota
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/nazlax10s-build.408318/
    Looks great! I'm glad this was able to help out.

6. Sep 27, 2020 at 4:36 AM
    Blktacopro

Blktacopro Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tacoma Trd Pro
    In order to do this, did you have to drill holes into the bed stiffener?

7. Sep 27, 2020 at 4:48 AM
    RedWings44

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I drilled one in each bed stiffener. I was able to get the others in without drilling into the stiffeners.

8. Dec 23, 2022 at 11:18 AM
    SR5forlife

SR5forlife New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Delmar
    Vehicle:
    2016 TACOMA SR5
    Tires, tonneau cover, Trd pro grill
    Can someone link me the parts I need. I do have the OEM bed extender. I need the link for the spacer and screws
    Thank you

9. Dec 24, 2022 at 6:14 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Like this...?

nazlax10[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. Sep 25, 2023 at 3:13 AM
    brodband

brodband New Member

Member:
    If only someone could make a bracket that would achieve this same result as these spacers so that the original drilled holes in the bed for the bed extender could be used. Would look a little bit cleaner.

11. Sep 25, 2023 at 4:00 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    A few years ago I installed the Total Chaos stiffeners and had to decide how to retain my Amp bed extender. Yes, I saw this topic back then but opted to make it work by another method.

Rather than extend on standoff spacers the Amp mounting plate, I fabricated a spacer from aluminum plate and shimmed the Amp mounting plate to set flat against the bed stiffeners. Next I loosened the extenders center plastic clamps and narrowed the extender by sliding the extender ends and center tubes to a shorter position.

Next, using aluminum round bar, I fabricated two grooved pivots that replaced the original Amp posts that insert into the Amp mounting plates. By doing it this way, I do not have those mounting plates on spacers protruding when the extender is removed. So far it has worked well and lasted for many years.

Torspd and Norton like this.
  12. Sep 25, 2023 at 4:02 AM
    brodband

brodband New Member

Member:
    I was actually wondering if someone had managed to do it this way.

Could you post some decent pics when time allows?

Thank you

Norton likes this.
  13. Sep 25, 2023 at 5:04 PM
    brodband

brodband New Member

Member:
    I contacted ttacodan, he said even his mini ones wouldn't work with the factory bed extender. The truck I just got is brand new and had the bed extender installed so I was just trying to avoid having to plug holes. That and I really like the option to be able to use the extender. PMK's idea sounds very interesting. My other idea would be to have someone fab up a stiffener with an extended piece that allows the factory bed extender brackets to install right to it. (This would also cover any visible holes) Then all you would have to do would be to shorten the tubes of the extender a bit to clear the stiffener, and add the extended grooved pivots. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I'm just not a machinist.

14. Sep 28, 2023 at 10:42 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    160C978E-F1DE-440C-B898-EBDFD98BB6E4.jpg D649B0ED-DD96-4FD2-87CF-2B535606A083.jpg 4FA17022-7B22-4507-BDAF-3520F3E9738F.jpg

brodband and Torspd like this.
  15. May 2, 2024 at 12:38 PM
    Cl9kev

Cl9kev New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2019 white SR 4x4 Dcsb
    Has anyone used the total chaos bed stiffeners with the oem bed extender. (Not bed mat)

16. May 5, 2024 at 4:45 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    Pretty certain the post before yours shows it being done. My post, my truck since new in 2010 and bought it with the oem accessory AMP extender.

Products Discussed in

To Top