1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tow controllers (my case Redarc Pro)...and TSS cruise.....

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Mountain2018, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Apr 10, 2019 at 12:35 PM
    Mountain2018

Mountain2018 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harpers Ferry/Leesburg VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 SB gray
    Did a scan to see if anyone raised this issue but not sure it is an issue that jumps out at you unless either lucky or know to look for it.
    I have been using a Rdarc since late in the fall. Use a 1K dual axle utility to haul various things from yard clippings/branches to 3k-3600 pounds of pavers for my brothers company. No issue with the controller but did notice a possible quirk with it. Though I don't even attempt to use auto or manual cruise control when towing any real weight, when trailer is empty I have at times on long stretches of relatively flat highway engaged the cruise along with ECT.

Recently I notice with the auto cruise/braking, the Redarc does not light up showing any braking has been applied to the trailer. My understanding is the auto mode on the unit works anytime the brakes are applied, more specifically the closing distance on a vehicle in front causes the TSS to activate braking proportional to the closing distance and speed. Along with this the brake lights are activated. Though tied into the brake wiring, the Redarc never indicated trailer braking. Of course once known I have adjusted use of that truck feature but seems a logically question as to why wouldn't the trailer brake unit activate when the truck brakes are via the braking safety system. I would think this would cause the Redarc to slow the trailer just as if the unit was engaged by pressing the pedal.

2. Apr 10, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    The controller is probably looking at the brake light switch on the brake pedal,h. Where as the truck is activating the brake lights not through the switch, hence the brake controller not seeing that the brakes have been applied.

Mountain2018[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 10, 2019 at 1:01 PM
    Mountain2018

Mountain2018 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harpers Ferry/Leesburg VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 SB gray
    Hmm...so the TSS activates the lights from a different connection then? (It does explain the 2 different controller reactions.) I just had not considered a physical press of the pedal would be different signal wise from the auto brake.

4. Apr 11, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    '17 Quicksand DCSB OR
    It would have to be from a different source because under normal CC conditions a press of the brake pedal would cancel the CC.

Products Discussed in

To Top