1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

towing a enclosed trailer with a 4 cyl. auto

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Front Runner, May 15, 2008.

1. May 15, 2008 at 7:57 AM
    Front Runner

Front Runner [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Reg. Cab 2.7L Automatic
    I'm thinking of buying a 6X12 enclosed cargo trailer to pull with my Taco. I've got the 2.7L with auto tranny w/o the tranny cooler. The trailer weighs 1200lbs empty and has a gvwr of 2900lbs. I'll be using it to haul my 750 pound bike and other stuff every so often. The dealer told me that they recommend the v-nose so the wind resistance wont be as bad. Is this true? I know from reading other posts that using overdrive is out of the question, and I welcome any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

2. May 15, 2008 at 4:09 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    The v nose will help with wind resistance, read as a little better mileage, and alittle better acceleration under load, as well as having an easier time holding your speed on the highway.

However, a v nose will not have any bearing on your stopping ability, so you will definately need to purchase a trailer that is equipped with brakes and have installed or install a brake controller in your truck. As well as the 4-flat plug and play as well as 4-flat to 7 round adapter that are covered in the towing bible which is stickied at the top of this section.

Other than that, keep plenty of room in front of you for stopping, keep in mind that you can not accelerate into traffic as quickly as when running solo, and remember to swing your turns wide. Other than that enjoy your trailer.

3. May 22, 2008 at 4:26 PM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    Persnaly I would get a tranny cool if it can be installed....
    I am not sure if your track can have the done with ease or not..

Also when was the lasttime you lfush your fluids?
    Brake, tranny, engine and collant? If has been a long time think about.

When pulling load change the fluid on the brakes once a year or more. this will help. Also have the rear brakes adjusted every 5k miles when towing..

Products Discussed in

To Top